Yamaha htr 5960

Username: Bigdish87

Frankford, On Canada

Post Number: 1
I just bought this receiver and have not hooked it up yet.Most of the reviews were quite good on it,but i have 30 days to return,bought at Future shop listed for 700. but had 200. off.Presently am running a 15 yr old jvc system which i am replacing to get 6.1 surround. My speakers are front ,two jbl bookshelf and a sound dynamics center and two small kenwood for rears and no sub.Can i hook this system up to my reciever without the sub also what speaker would be good for this system in the 800. range.Thanks for the replies.Tom

Bronze Member
Username: Unreal_t

United States

Post Number: 55
Where are you shopping!? 500 dollars for an HTR5960! You might want to use pricegrabber.com...

Gold Member
Username: Hawk

Highlands Ranch, CO USA

Post Number: 1141
Tommy-

I think Tom is speaking in Canadian dollars, not US.

Gold Member

Highlands Ranch, CO USA

Post Number: 1142
Tom:

How large is your room?

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 5671
Good old Canadian dollars.
I worked at the furniture factory in Frank one summer as a kid.
1978 called, they want a couch.

Gold Member

Post Number: 5672
Tom, out there it might be hard to find any other store.
If you are OK with the Yamaha, thats great.
The kit you have laid out leaves room for improvement, but depending on your listening tastes, you might be fine.

How do you listen?

Frankford, On Canada

Post Number: 2
Thanks to all that replied,yes price is in can$,you fellows really have the upper hand regarding purchases in the us.Hawk the room is 23x13 ft wide with a sloped ceiling 15ft high at one end,leght and width has glass walls on one side,one wall gyprock one wall cedar sided. Also can i run this unit without the sub,also what receiver would be better for this kind of money as i can take this back.A must have is A&B speaker outlet for second room also would like a phono hookup.I know your prices are better down there but short of going to Toronto to buy i only have a few stores to choose from,The Brick,yam,sony,Sears(too exp)plus Sony store,Best buy,Future shop,and a furniture store that sell Onkyo and Panasonic.Soorry for the long post.Tom

Frankford, On Canada

Post Number: 3
Sorry Nuck, i mostly watch movies and do listen to music evry now and then that is why i wanted a rec. with a phono hookup but movies are my main concern.Tom

Gold Member

Highlands Ranch, CO USA

Post Number: 1157
Tom:

Initially, I see no reason why you can't use your current speakers with that receiver for the time being. However, you will markedly improve the system by adding speakers that are better matched to the sound of your Yamaha receiver than what you currently have.

As far as new speakers go, with that receiver I would be inclined to look into a few Canadien brands as they should be available in your area. Paradigm, PSB and Energy are all very good brands and you should be able to find something you like within their line-ups. My first thought, for your price range, is the PSB B25 speakers which would make for very good mains, and you could add a matching center speaker down the line. Either a PSB C40 or C60 would work very well with the B25s as a new center speaker. Later you could add a couple of surrounds (PSB B15s would be a good choice), and a subwoofer. You have a large sized room, but I have no doubt the PSBs could swing it. Now, since it is a good sized room, you may be able to get a pair of T45 towers instead of the B25s, but I am not sure this would fit your budget.

It is tougher to recommend Paradigm only because they are going through a model change right now and I have no idea what might be available in your area. Neverhteless, their Monitor line would be very comparable to the PSB Image line I recommended above. Finally, Energy's Conneisseuer line is a great value for the money. For you, I might recommend the C-300 speaker for your mains. The matching center speaker would be the Energy C-C100.

Each of these speaker lines also makes a worthy subwoofer, so you can get what you need to fill out the system. There is no reason why you can't buy these speakers as you can afford them--just keep your dealer apprised of what you are trying to do. I will say that with your Yamaha, and a couple of new mains, it will make for a huge difference over what you have been listening to.

Now, to find a retailer, check each brand's website. They almost always have a dealer locator page where you can find the dealers for those speakers based upon your postal code. Here are the requisite pages:

http://www.psbspeakers.com/r/caDealerFind.php

http://www.paradigm.com/Website/Dealers/Dealers.html

http://www.energy-speakers.com/v2/dealer/index.php

Search these sites to see if you have a dealer closer to you than going to Toronto. Good luck!

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 3890
The Energy C series (I think I said this wrong on another thread) really works well with Yamaha receivers. I've heard this combo more than once and was pleasantly surprised.

Frankford, On Canada

Post Number: 4
Thanks Art,I came across the brand name of Fluance speakers on Ebay and the seller is not to far away,there is mention of these speakers on this web site also on Cnet.com I am not looking for the best but want good sound and the best bang for the buck,they also sell three different models subs. Meantime i will check out the models you mentioned.Thanks Tom

Username: Dmitchell

Post Number: 1
I have the Fluance center channel on my secondary HT system in the basement. I originally had it on my primary system in the living room, but I upgraded to a Paradigm CC-370 to match my Paradigm monitor 7's. The Fluance is not a bad speaker for the price, and for a small room, it's more than enough. I've also heard the Fluance SV-10 floorstanders, and they are quite good as well.

Bronze Member

Frankford, On Canada

Post Number: 14
Now for a new adventure,had a heck of a time trying to figure out the manual regarding getting the tuner fuction to work,finally figured out,this manul is the pits.Now my problem is i cannot get vcr,dvd,cd players to work even though i have set the remote to source ,hit whatever i want to come on and put in the code(from back of book) it flashes but still won't turn the unit on.If somebody could enligthen me on this subject i would sure appreciate it as this is the last step i have to do.Thanks very much.Tom

Gold Member

Post Number: 6070
Tom, just a guess, might your remote have to be programmed, possibly off the net?
Some new ones do that only, just what I have read.
Trenton Rocks. hehehe
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us