If you had 2K

Username: Talbrecht

Post Number: 2
I've almost got this much earmarked for a new 7.1 system. I haven't finished picking out a new AV receiver yet either. So far I like the KEF KHT 3005 series and the SVS SBS-01 series.

What other speaker systems should I consider?

Silver Member
Username: Exerciseguy

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 863
Is this for a dedicated Home Theater room? Because if it isn't, you might want to consider stepping-down the number of surround speakers, as this will allow you to allocate more of your funds towards a receiver & speakers.

Will this set-up for music listening at all? What percentage?

Silver Member
Username: Stefanom

Vienna, VA United States

Post Number: 346
How big is your room? Have you actually listened to the above mentioned speakers?

Post Number: 3
Yes - it is for a dedicated home theatre room. I have an older Onkyo 5.1 matched speaker system in there now which is OK, but not great. Room dimensions are 16ft X 12ft with 8ft ceilings. My family tends to watch movies, sports, TV - not so much pure music.
I've been able to listen to the KEF's at Circuit City, some Polks at Magnolia, and some Bose so far.

Post Number: 4
I reread your posts. To clarify, I have almost 2K saved for speakers. I've got separate money for a receiver.

Post Number: 5
I rearead your posts and to clarify, I have almost 2K saved for speakers. I've got other money saved for a receiver.

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 5652
Tony, with that kind of scratch, you can do much better than a rceiver.
Is HT the #1 concern?
5.1 movies?

Silver Member
Username: Stefanom

Vienna, VA United States

Post Number: 352
Well for Internet Direct speakers, there is always Ascend and Onix/AV123, in addition to the SVS system.

For other speakers you can actually listen to, take a look at NHT, Klipsch, Infinity, Mirage, and Energy for starters.

Next question: how is your room furnished? A lot of hard/reflective surfaces, or a lot of carpeting, etc that absorb sound?

Post Number: 6
Thanks for your response Stephen. The room has two expanded open spaces that lead to other rooms. It's got a big old 12ft U shaped leather sofa in the listening position and a thick carpet. The back speakers will be relatively close to the listeners - probably less than a foot.

Gold Member
Username: Hawk

Highlands Ranch, CO USA

Post Number: 1139
Tony:

Frankly, your listening space is too small for a 7.1 system. You won't miss anything, as there is nothing encoded into 7.1 sound--the receiver just creates two extra channels by blending elements of the other five channels. The whole purpose of 7.1 is to provide extra points of sound to fill a large room, but your room isn't that large to require more speakers. The benefit to you is the ability to afford a higher quality system by buying two fewer speakers.

Now, I really like the KEF 3005 system, and it does come with a pretty good subwoofer, as well. But let me suggest a few alternatives that are better than the KEFs (Bose and Polk systems are far less impressive), IMO.

1. NHT Classic Twos, Center Two, and Sub Ten. Since you have a small room, here is a speaker system that is barely larger than the Kefs, but with a bigger midrange/woofer, will do a much better job of filling your room with sound, but will not take over the room, either:

http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=NHTKC2B

The Classic Twos are a sealed speaker, so they do not require you mount them on stands three feet from the wall, the usual standard for rear ported speakers. I also like this dealer as you can order the system and get 30 days to try them in your home--if they don't work for you, just sent them back.

2. Energy RC-10s, RC-LCR, and C-R100 surrounds. The RC stands for Energy's Reference Connoisseur line of speakers, a very high quality speaker line. Small, but with a beautiful finish, and capable of producing superb sound, the RC-10s make wonderful main speakers:

http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=ENRC10

http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=ENRCLCR

http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=ENCR100

The surrounds here are a "bi-pole" design which may be a great choice given how close the rear speaker will be with the listeners. Bi-poles shoot their sound into two different directions, so that you are not so aware of the source of the sound--a nice feature if you are only a foot away. These mount directly to the wall, thus saving space (I assume you have a rear wall, but maybe not). You can then add the subwoofer you want, although I would recommend the Hsu STF-1. You simply will not believe how good this small subwoofer is--it will go lower than almost any other sub under $500 and will fit well into your room:

http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/stf-1.html

3. Epos 5.1 sytem with NAD receiver. I came across this deal and was knocked out by the value. The Epos ELS speakers are becoming a bit of a legend, with magazines such as Stereophile and Absolute Sound singing their praises as the best speakers in the world at their price point. Add to that a high quality NAD receiver, and you have a killer combo:

http://www.spearitsound.com/epos/fun51system.asp

4. Dynaudio 42Ws with a 42C. Another speaker legend which will mount directly to the wall. More expensive than the other speakers mentioned here, but still within your budget:

http://www.dynaudiousa.com/products/audience/42wall/aud42w.htm

Again, I love the Hsu STF-1, but the Outlaw LFM-2 is also a great choice:

http://www.outlawaudio.com/products/lfm2.html

Finally, simply selecting a good speaker system without matching it to the right receiver is a prescription for wasting a lot of money and being left unhappy--I know from personal experience. So, with either the NHT system or the Energy systems I recommended, I would strongly suggest a Marantz, NAD, or Outlaw receiver. These would have the requisite sonic charecteristics to get the most out of these speakers. You didn't mention a budget for the receiver, but you can get a very high quality receiver from any of these three brands from $500 to $1K.

Enjoy!

Gold Member

Post Number: 5670
Hawk, did you miss anything?
LOL, great response for Tony!

Tony, there you have a goodly selection to look into, now go and listen!

The outlaws are brawney, and have a phono section as well.

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 3880
Good post Hawk...I would add Paradigm and PSB to that mix as they represent whopping values for the dollar.

Epos makes fabulous sounding speakers but they can be just a bit demanding on amps so if you were to chose them be sure that you can take them back if your receiver has difficulty delivering the goods. Same with Dyns. And actually so too with NHT. I've owned NHT speakers and really liked their sound but my Rotel RSX965 needed augmented to meet their demands.

Energy's RC series is easy to drive but the C and Veritas lines require a bit more.

Happy shopping!

Gold Member

Post Number: 5673
Art, which Psb's are you liking?
Tony's space seems a fit for T45's in front, the B25's might be a bit much given the near field as describedin the rears. Perhaps Alpha's back there.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 3881
That seems about right Nuck 45's or 55's front and the matching center. Get as close to the series in front with the rears as possible. That's why there is a volume control for each channel.

Gold Member
Username: Joe_c

Atlanta, GA USA

Post Number: 1365
Hawk, although I agree with almost everything you say (and your posts are very informative) I would have to disagree with the not missing anything with 7.1. I have found that there was a huge difference with 7.1 over 5.1 in my modest 14 x 16 ht. Even if the source material is 5.1 the effects given by most receivers have much more of a blended, non directional sound. I find that the rears project more of a 3-d sound field with more depth and space to the effects. This is really noticed when sounds in the rear channels travel from left to right or visa versa. When used with 6.1 material, this effect is multiplied exponentially (and there are many 6.1 discs to be had out there). Not to mention that the 7.1 setup will be more future proof with the hd formats already a big factor in HT. This of course is my humble opinion.

Gold Member

Post Number: 5689
JC, the last 2.0 is a mixed mono from the source, ja?

Gold Member
Username: Joe_c

Atlanta, GA USA

Post Number: 1366
If source is 5.1 yes, if 6.1 or dd ex no, it is then a discrete mix. Still has a better transition (even vs. dipoles) if the speakers and listening position are in order.

Post Number: 7
I've been away from the board since Friday AM - thank you all so much for your thoughtful insights. I really really appreciate it. Will keep you posted on decisions. Now about that receiver . . . . and HDMI 1.3 - where to begin?

Gold Member

Post Number: 5761
Tony, just ignore it, for the sound system.
Keep the video seperate and it won't matter.

Less electronic clutter in the way, too. Maybe get a better power supply.

Gold Member

Post Number: 5762
Oh and an external HDMI swithbox.
So much for less clutter.
Frigging hobby is a pain sometimes.

Gold Member
Username: Dakulis

Spokane, Washington United States

Post Number: 1061
Hi guys,

Just got back from a trip to Seattle. I would add the ERAs in there for 5.1 if he can get the dealer to come off their $899/pair list price and put in the ERA cemter amd a decemt HSU sub.

I was amazed at the ERA sound. I suspect that if I had heard them first my Ascends would have gone back and I would be listening to 4 of these ERAs with the ERA small center and my sub.

Dave.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 3914
The Hsu sub would not keep up with the Era speakers I'm afraid. That's why Era makes the fabulous subs that they do.

Silver Member
Username: Polksavage

Post Number: 125
http://www.polkaudio.com/homeaudio/products/systems/floorsystems/showsystem.php? id=231

this is a good system which will sound good with music and movies. It's only a 5.1 but for the room your using it in you won't need more than that. You can add another csi3 for a 6th channel if you wish.
here is a good cheap reciever
http://cgi.ebay.ca/AVR-887-DENON-7-1-A-V-SURROUND-RECEIVER-AVR887-NEW_W0QQitemZ2 50079350187QQihZ015QQcategoryZ39793QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

will sound good with this system

Post Number: 8
UPDATE: OK, new poll open - given the choice would you pick:
1. KEH KHT 3005
2. ORB MOD2
3. Gallo A'Diva T1
4. DefTech ProCinema
The polls are now open - please no write-in candidates - tune into CNN for local, live updates.

Gold Member
Username: Dakulis

Spokane, Washington United States

Post Number: 1069
Art,

Thanks for the information. I asked the sales guy to play an ERA sub but the ERA wasn't hooked up so he used another sub that spectacularly underwhelming. Really boomy and made the ERAs sound worse. They actually provided incredible base for a small speaker, although probably in the ballpark with Tim's Emmas but not quite that low.

Anyway, why hasn't anyone suggested Emmas to this poor man, now that I think about it. I would have to hear the ERAs and Emmas together to make a choice here. I haven't heard any of your choices above so good luck Tony. Dave

Gold Member
Username: My_rantz

Australia

Post Number: 1119
Dave, Tim's selling DYI stuff now, I don't know if he has any Emmas left. Cheers M.R.

Bronze Member
Username: Bytesiz

Bangor, Maine USA

Post Number: 29
Actually, I think he does have a few pair left...
http://www.us.alegriaaudio.com/Emma.htm
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us