New to phonos......looking for some advice

Bronze Member
Username: Broosky333

Post Number: 14
okay here's my dilema....i am getting my Kenwood Kr-6050 fixed and i need a turntable to go with it....i used to have a Kenwood KD-5070 but i sold it a few years ago and now i regret it....i am looking to buy a record player and i don't know anything about them whatsoever....i have been looking to get a nice kenwood possibly but i have also been looking at a few other brands...Bang and Olusen for example...can anyone tell mee about them? i also looked at a pioneer at my local audio shop and i have looked a few technics on the internet....i am looking for a good sounding recordplayer so it you habve anye suggestions let me know...i am looking to spend soemwhere between 100 and 200 so a used working one would be great! any suggestions would be greatly appreciate!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 15
oh by the way...i am thinking a direct drive with a metal ......turning table thing?(sorry i don't know the terminology well)....i was told to avoid alum. and plastic because they can warp over time

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 9699

Avoid metal platetrs and those other materials you mentioned. Not because they warp but because they sound like crap. Shop the used markets for a Rega or Rega clone. The B&O should be avoided as their tables could only use a B&O cartridge. B&O doesn't manufacture cartridges any longer and what they did produce was not that great. An inexpensive Grado on a used AR or Rega table would easily beat the pants off a B&O of any sort. Service and parts are also unavailable for the B&O's and they do require periodic service due to the large number of electronics B&O employed for speed and tonearm functions. Let some other fool have the B&O. Find a Rega or Rega clone or a used AR. If this doesn't fit your budget, find a Dual of some sort.

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 9700

http://buy.audiogon.com/cgia/fsb.pl

Bronze Member

Post Number: 16
is direct drive or belt driven better?
someone on my car audio forum suggested a stanton or technics....are they any good? i found a stanton within my budget.....the rega's that i found are a little to expensive for me and i couldn'td find a lot by AR

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 9704

Buy a belt drive. The Stantons and Technics are DJ tables and not well suited to most home audio compared to the Regas or even a Dual.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 17
alright thanx for your help...now i just gotta find something in my price range

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 5754
Theo, you can Ebay to death, but I have heard some horror stories on TT's from the Bay.

Head for the Gon. You will pay a little more, but visit the forums and see what you really can get.

Bronze Member
Username: Underarock

Milwaukee, WI USA

Post Number: 91
I have a direct-drive TT, and while it works fine, it's no good for certain types of music. I tried listening to a Vladimir Horowitz solo album (Beethoven Sonatas), and the hum got in the way, and I wasn't using headphones. I wish I would have bought a belt-drive, for that reason. Fortunately, I don't listen to a lot of really "quiet" music, so my TT is quite adequate, but if you have a choice, and $$ permitting, get a good belt-drive. JMO!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us