Good Speaker Value

Gold Member
Username: Arande2

400dB could probably d..., SouthWest Mi... Too Many DBs...

Post Number: 1058
Well, I've got these old Bose multimedia speakers and they're all I have right now to use for a radio in my room. They distort, there's weak bass, and I guess one good thing is that they sound a little larger than what they really are.

Anyway, I am looking for speakers that will do well at around $50 that can handle around 80w of bass. Thanks for the help.

Silver Member
Username: Jethro

Lansing, Mi

Post Number: 154
??
80 watts of bass? What kind of help do you need again? For 50 bucks, see a physician, with health insurance you should be in the ballpark.

Silver Member
Username: Jethro

Lansing, Mi

Post Number: 155
if that was a serious question, I apologize.

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 5613
It was, and you needn't.

Silver Member
Username: Serniter

Piscataway, New Jersey USA

Post Number: 112
The Insignias at BestBuy are sometimes on sale for $50...

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=7705307&type=product&productCatego ryId=cat03043&id=1138085354138

Silver Member
Username: Gavdawg

Post Number: 153
<------ thinking that Andre is full of hot air now more than ever, and needs to stop trolling.

Silver Member

Post Number: 154
read the other post about this...it made me laugh

-------------------------------------------------
WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!

Well you see I've got these stupid Bose speakers in my room right now and I've noticed they can't handle much at all. I'm playing one of my favorite "Disturbed" songs and all of the sudden EEEERGH EERRRGH annoying distortion so I turn it down. I noticed that at this lower level, first of all, it's not very loud, and second, the dynamics just aren't there because of the limiter kicking in. I've left it turned up to the max before distortion. I'm guessing that after that point the limiter can't limit anymore and it enters heavy distortion. There's like no bass.

I need a good pair of stereo speakers that can take around 80w of bass and still not separate the sound because all the snap and clearness that used to be there is gone. Is there a good pair for around $50 that'll get loud and still be clean sounding? I know these Bose can't do it unles I take their amplifier and throw it out substituting for a 100000 watt amplifier to blow their little 2 inch drivers out.
--------------------------------------------------

First of all, I have yet to hear a 100,000 watt amplifier.

And, I wouldn't expect the MediaMates to have dynamics when cranked up really loudly. One of the hallmarks of the design was a sound sculpting circuit built in it that smoothed the dynamic peaks as the volume was turned up louder and louder, saving the driver.

All I have to say is NO $HIT to the comment there wasn't any bass. The circuit cuts it out to save the driver.

Turn any speaker up to the point of distortion and what you have is a blown speaker.

Now the comment you made to me about you "turning your speakers up 'til they hit their limits" makes sense.

You were referring to these, not a decent set of mains like I thought you were. I am certain that I can find the post. If memory serves me correctly it is in the subwoofer forum.

You lead us to believe that you had paired a Paradigm Seismic subwoofer to a decent pair of main speakers

You need to grow up and stop talking out of your ar$e.

-----------------------------------------------

found the post! It is in the subwoofer forum.

https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-audio/316196.html

This is stated on January 29th:

I turn it up just enough so the drivers on the mains hit their limits. I mean, I can feel it a lot, but I wish I had a sub. I'm going to try the Seismic 12

my response was right below it, telling him not to do that as it can blow his speakers. I am done with this fantasizing idiot.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1059
These are two different sets of speakers.

I also guess I have a weird sense of humor. Why would I pair a Seismic 12 with two little Bose Media Speakers? Well either way, I'll probably look into a better pair of speakers to replace my current mains and move those into my room as they have much better bass. Don't forget, we can have different meanings from what we say.

Silver Member

Post Number: 156
then what DO you have for mains? you have confused the hell out of me ever since you started posting here.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1060
KLH AV5001s lol. I know they're cheap but I really couldn't afford anything retail. Now I can and I should probably look at a good pair for our mains and use those KLH for my room.

Gold Member

Post Number: 5625
Gdawg, I buy you a beer for persistance.

Silver Member
Username: Davidpa

Portland, Oregon US

Post Number: 366
What kills me is watching Andre give "advise" to newcomers!

Post on young man. Post on.

Silver Member
Username: Thecrypt

Lawrence, Kansas

Post Number: 124
I guess he can tend to be a little off, but what do I know?

Silver Member
Username: Thecrypt

Lawrence, Kansas

Post Number: 125
Oh, and I've got my new thread for the main system in home theater.

Silver Member

Post Number: 166
thanks Nuck,

I really need one now that he stated that he paired a high end Paradigm sub with the lowest end speakers KLH make.

That makes less sense than pairing a seismic with a pair of Bose 301's IMHO

Silver Member
Username: Davidpa

Portland, Oregon US

Post Number: 367
c'mon Gavin, he likes BASS, not a soundstage. If only the door would rattle?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1061
I thought they some of KLH's better speakers?? There isn't a door! It's a large opening..

Gold Member

Post Number: 1063
Well I decided to TURN DOWN the bass tone control which solved the dynamics dilemma...for now.

When I get that subwoofer I'm going to see how much of a difference it makes in the sound of these before I put it in with the main system.

I see my self making the JBL's the main because as you've already stated the KLH's don't sound too great.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1067
Well I wanted to see what happened if I connected little tiny speakers to the amp that cost like $5 or were lying around. I found a Sony Srs-A27 6-ohm set of speakers designed to be powered off of, say a CD-player or computer audio output, so they had a mini-plug for a connector.

I first tried them out with their built in little weakling amplifier and heard a tinny sound and inability to make any bass. I then tried hooking the Bose speaker without an amplifier (from the Bose system) to the mini plug output of the Sony amplifier in the mini speaker system. I got a whole lot more bass out of the amplifier (though it sounded horrible compared to the Bose amplifier), so I guess that shows how much the saying "You get what you pay for" is true.

Now I powered one of the Sony speakers with the Bose amplifier (in the Bose speaker) and it sounded better and I was able to drive it a WHOLE lot harder (whole speaker vibrating), but it still wasn't very loud. What could I expect from a little tiny 2.5" driver? Well...we'll see.

I then knew I couldn't hook the little mini plug into the receiver's wire clip outputs, so it was time for a little modification. I had to get an extra long screwdriver since the screws were so deep into the holes. Once I got them apart, I could clearly see how cheaply put together and made they were.

I undid the little tiny wires from the little tiny transducer and then went outside to solder some CAT-5 wire onto the little drivers, then ran it out the little speaker wire hole. Now I cut the wire appropriately on the other end, then set the speakers by the Scott Receiver while I hooked them up. Don't forget that these little drivers..when I pushed on them, moved what felt like maybe 1mm non-linear. I hooked them up and turned on the Receiver first playing the rap on the radio, at low levels (of course), hearing the same amount of bass yet again.

Now I was getting a little mad that I couldn't get much out of these little cheap speakers even with a much more powerful amplifier...so it was time to bash these speakers with high power levels.

I played a 3khz tone on our computer at high levels (ascending) just to see what would happen and got a nice LOUD and LOUDER tone every time I turned up the volume for the 500ms duration I specified on the frequency generator until I got as loud as I dared go.

Now it was time for the torture of these 2 little mini speakers! I played a 100hz tone (they're rated down to 250hz) as loud as I thought I could before I blew them up and they handled it. I then played a 50hz tone and turned it up halfway (I had never turned it past 1/4 before, which shook the walls at 50hz with large speakers). As I had guessed, I got a loud (VERY distorted, but loud) 50hz tone blast before BOTH cones blew out of their little frames (what did you think would happen at ~100w at 6-ohms on a speaker rated for around 1w MAX?).

I'll probably also never buy mini-speakers OR hook them up to an amplifier meant for larger speakers (that was $500 in the earlier 70s). Hey. At least I got bass out of them like I had hoped for! Hopefully that wasn't too long, I just wanted to explain what I did today correctly. I'm just not going to do that to the Bose, as they would get destroyed as well I suspect. Ok, I'll admit it was fun, but a waste of a $10 pair of speakers. Thanks if you actually read about my little funtime.

Gold Member

Post Number: 5726
Little voice in Andre's head,
'BE a mad scientist, BE a mad scientist'

Gold Member

Post Number: 1070
You know what, I really would like to get good speakers and amps (probably a Rotel/Paradigm combo), but it's going to be a while and I obviously won't destroy it because I only destroyed that sub and a pair of cheap portable speakers. I haven't destroyed the 4311's and they're 30 years old FTW? Well I don't know what that voice was saying when I was 4...I wonder.

Silver Member
Username: Serniter

Piscataway, New Jersey USA

Post Number: 115
'DEstroy speakers. DEstroy speakers.'

Gold Member

Post Number: 1092
Well, I'm not too bad off with the bass output of these little Bose when they're turned down. I can still feel the bass in the doorknob, floor, seat, and other things like that (resonant), but that's about it. I've also arranged them so that they sound much better in that the imaging is correct.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us