Speaker confusion

Username: Brettw

Post Number: 4
Hi,
I hope someone is willing to explain this problem for me.
I have a Yamaha HRT 5840 amp. It is basically a 6.1 surround sound, 85 watts/ channel unit.
I'm running 2 sets of 8 ohm speakers off it.
One set are the JBL E80, rated at 200 watts max and 100 watts continous power. And I also have a pair of Mission 704 speakers, rated @ 25 to 250 watts per channel. (that's what it says on the back)
My problem is that the JBL's sound a lot louder then the Mission 704's. At first I thought the Mission speakers were just not very good but when I really crank them up, they sound great. However, if I were to run the JBL's at that power, they would be WAY too loud.
JBL's are on channel A, Missions are on B, Mission speakers are on a longer run of wire, 16 ga.
Sorry that I am asking such a basic question, but I know nothing about this amp with different speakers issue, nor what I sould do.
thanks,
Brett W

Gold Member
Username: My_rantz

Australia

Post Number: 1085
The sensitivity of the speakers are most likely quite different (example: 90dB spl(2.83V @ 1m). Remember, speakers don't have watts, they are just manufacturers numbers to use as an amplification guide. Are you running speakers from channels A and B for a purpose, because being a surround receiver, for HT purposes you should be running one set as mains (fronts), and the other as surrounds (or rears) and then do the speaker level adjustments in the receiver's set up. Hope that helps and not confuses.

Post Number: 5
M.R.
thanks for the reply.
I'm using the JBL E80 as the mains for the surround system, along with several smaller speakers that seem to be working well. The Mission 704's are on the B channel and going to an another room. So if I want the same music in both rooms, there is a big contrast in the volume of the two rooms.
9 of 10 times I'll just be listening to classical music and would like it to be apx the same in both rooms.
thanks,
Brett W

Gold Member

Australia

Post Number: 1087
Then it's a sensitivity and/or impedence issue with the differences in the speakers. If the speakers on the B channel were louder you could put a control on the line, but unless you drive a 2nd zone amp with the speakers I'm not sure what you could do.

Post Number: 7
MR,
can you expalin the 2d zone amp.
I've got an older amp in the closet. Older Techniques amp.
I've tried turning up the B speakers with the amp but that didn't seem to do much, even when I went to +10
thanks,
brett w

Gold Member

Australia

Post Number: 1088
Brett, I am not familiar with your receiver. Some have a 2nd zone (or multi room) facility that one can connect another amp from pre-out terminals for use in another area and the volume levels can be set accordingly. My Marantz SR-7300 has this facility.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us