I cant decide between a Denon 1907 and Onkyo 604. Help

Bronze Member
Username: Hodedofome

TX USA

Post Number: 36
Sorry to hear that.

Silver Member
Username: Arande2

400dB could probably d..., SouthWest Mi... Too Many DBs...

Post Number: 980
I'm almost crying!

Upload

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 5558
AD, are there any other options?
What features do you require?

Silver Member
Username: Thecrypt

Lawrence, Kansas

Post Number: 120
Hi, I'm going out of town on business. See ya.

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 3844
On paper they look fairly even. Get the best deal you can on either. Hopefully you are driving efficient speakers. Andre, is that a self portrait?

Username: Anujitd

Post Number: 4
sorry I am new here.

I am planning on getting POlk M50s, M30s, CS1 and a PSW10.

I am more keen on the Denon because of the bi-amping facility and that should mean good clarity at medium - low volumes. is that right? Are there any other advantages?

Gold Member

Post Number: 5568
Bi-amping? Do you mean 2-zone?
AD, we gotta talk.

Describe EXACTLY what you want this unit to do.
If you include speaker models(not just brands) we can walk through this together.

Gold Member

Post Number: 5569
This is amps, you are looking at receivers, but thats OK.
Lay out what you want to do, and what you have.

Post Number: 5
Ok..This is the first time I am getting a Home theater set up

The speakers are Polk. The models are -

front - Monitor 50 X 2
rear bookshelf - Monitor 30 X 2..I am not looking at buying the rear surrounds yet to complete the 7.1
center - CS1
Sub - PSW10

Denon offers the bi-amping facility ( store language) which means that that the free rear surround outs from the receiver could be pumped back into the front speakers for better performance. does this help?

I have a 10' X 15' area ( the distance between the front and the rear speakers will be 10'). its not really a den and the neighbors might not be too inclined towards loud music, so I am trying to make the best of what I get.

Movies to music preference would be 60:40

at this moment, thats all the info I can give u guys so far.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 3850
Again either should be fine for your application. If you like the feature set better on the Denon then by all means go for the Denon and get the best deal you can. And for your application a Yamaha would work as well you may want to check the feature set on say the RX V689.

Post Number: 6
thanks art, I googled Yamaha...They have a V659. I had a question though. The power ratings just mention
RMS Output Power (20Hz - 20kHz) 100W x 7
RMS Output Power (1kHz)
Total Power (20Hz - 20kHz) 700W

From the little research that I have done, the THD% should be mentioned in the Watt ratings. this did not seem obvious in the specs. thoughts?

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 3852
It doesn't really matter relative to the products we are talking about here. The Denon, Onkyo, Yamaha are all going to skew the numbers to look better than they actually are relative to power. You are driving relatively efficient speakers in a small space and using a sub to handle the low frequencies so what you really are shopping for is features and sound. Each of these brands has a different sound and feature set. The V659 has been very well received by the audio press and I believe is a good buy in its price range....again allowing that you are using efficient speakers in a small to medium space.

Gold Member
Username: Joe_c

Atlanta, GA USA

Post Number: 1326
In my op. I would go with the Denon, but then again I am bias ...... get it Bias......tubes.....:/

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 3863

Gold Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 1885
Hello Anujit,

I know the Denon AVR1907. In your size room, it will easily fill the space you have. It's not the last word in fidelity but it is a good robust receiver. I don't know the Polks at all, but their specifications suggest they are relatively easy to drive. This is why I think the AVR1907 would be able to do the job well. In terms of facilities, it has a good set of features. The biamping facility is a nice thing to have, although I don't think this is a major issue given that the Monitor 50s are 89db and 8 ohm.

Regards,
Frank.

Post Number: 7
Hi All,

Thank you for all your suggestions. I am going in for the Denon 1907. Until I break my head next..

Best,
Anujit

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 3868
Congrats and enjoy!

Gold Member

Post Number: 5605
Good luck, ad. Wear a helmet next time!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »