2K rms in home

Gold Member
Username: Johnfiac

IL Afghanistan,...

Post Number: 1122
Is there anyway to connect up a car setup in a house without using a actual battery charger to charge the batterys for the amp? Maybe a A\C to DC convertor that can possibly do that? If not, what kind of amps will do 1Krms (1 channel) and what ohm loads.... im kinda new to the home audio equiptment

Silver Member
Username: Stefanom

Vienna, VA United States

Post Number: 302
Just out of curiosity, do you know what kind of volume gain you get from 1000wpc versus say, 100wpc?

Don't worry too much about huge wattage numbers, as most well built amplifiers/receivers will be able to drive the average home audio speaker to very high volumes. Efficiency/sensitivity of the speaker in question will give you an idea of how much power you will want (with some speakers being able to go as loud with 1 watt of power as some do with 100 or 1000 in professional audio cases).

Also keep in mind that you don't want to blow out your hearing by the time you're 20.

Silver Member
Username: Gamerdude

Ontario Canada

Post Number: 366
Bryston:-)

Silver Member
Username: James_the_god

Doncaster, South Yorkshire England

Post Number: 379
"(with some speakers being able to go as loud with 1 watt of power as some do with 100 or 1000 in professional audio cases)."

..and in non professional too, impedance and sensitivity. My old amplifier integrated into my subwoofer as part of the el cheapo sat/sub systems drove the satellites pretty loud.
When I got some bookshelfs(prior to buying a proper amp) i connected them to the subwoofer. The amp drove them pretty well at 6ohmz 86db sensitivity, considering the amp power was only about 5watts per channel.
Now my point here is that I think a lot of companies can overstate wattage output. When I got my proper amp which will supposedly deliver 65watts rms into my speakers, I dont believe its actually that powerful. Ive turned the volume to 2 o clock before and although very loud, its hard to believe the rated power specs..
I suppose the difference here is the point at which things start to distort. With the proper amp no distortion at all!

Note that, the sound characteristics of an amp can influence the perception to think it is more powerful.

so..try some decent equipement at low levels and you'll realise that volume isnt the key to enjoyment. Or, be deaf by 20!! :P

Silver Member

Post Number: 380
LOL. Actually Killa, why would you want to do that?

Gold Member

IL Afghanistan,...

Post Number: 1149
Cuz i wanna make this room thats prolly about 10x15ft feel like your actually at the place... im gunna put up a projector and all make like a little movie theatre im hoping to get the room to hit about 150db or more thats why i was wondering about amps that can produce that much power..get a few of them some nice enclosures and all.. maybe play a little css.......i want it to hurt my @ss when they throw some grenades lmao that would be a little to hard to get but you see my point i want it gettting loud.. the mids\highs arent a problem for me i can easily throw 500rms into some of those to keep up although i think that would still be a bit to loud, but those would be ran off kinetiks hc2400 so it would last a pretty long time before needing a charge im guessing around 2 weeks or more based on how little time i have to even watch tv...but i wanna mke sure i got everything ima need b4 moving out the parents crib after collegeso my house is pimp'd out. lol

and what do u mean 1 watt can be as loud as 1000 watts enlighten me, i have never seen that happen the speaker getting 1000watts must be worse then pyle or sony lmao for real tho i have had about 20 different sets of home audio speakers, not cheap ones either and a few different recievers all of them were just as loud at the same power levels. So how can i make my car subs 6K rms that will be in there by the end of the next month or two..sound like it is 6000000rms lol that really threw me off im not the best with home audio im better with car audio but still that makes no sense to me lol

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 5549
Not the best with home audio?
Nawwww...

Gold Member

Post Number: 5550
Or an intelligible string of verbs and consanents?
Nawwww....

Silver Member

Vienna, VA United States

Post Number: 316
Killa: Some speakers are more efficient than others. Btw, look up an SPL chart sometime and look up the threshold of pain. Also look into permanent hearing loss...

Gold Member

IL Afghanistan,...

Post Number: 1158
I realize that but but a speaker with 1 watt sound like its getting as loud as a speaker with 1000watts just sounds like wayyy to much a difference, the 1000watt speaker must be suppppper innefficient and the other must be super efficient. But eitherway like i said i am sorta new with home audio im ussualy working with car audio and apperantly they have almost no alike things regarding power.

Gold Member

IL Afghanistan,...

Post Number: 1159
What is the threshold of pain? My next subwoofer setup in my car should be doing 150's or so daily

Silver Member

Post Number: 384
150db would partially deafen you point blank. The loudest ever subwoofer I think was 148db with a pioneer in a car. This was recorded from a long distance away..obviously. Anything above 85-90db will cause ear damage of some kind.

Killa you should listen to people in these forums about home audio, as you rightly put it, home audio and car audio are completeley different in a sense.
'Being there' presence is in terms of music a soundstage and imaging. IMO its also a good balance of all octaves so nothing really stands out.

With css, surround sound will do the trick. Maybe what you want is one of those 14 speaker surround systems, or some big floorstanders and subwoofer with surrounds and lots of monoblocks to maximise power. This may set you back though :P

Was you high when you posted your 2nd message? Was very..scrabbled.

Silver Member

Vienna, VA United States

Post Number: 323
Threshold of pain is at 120dB. 150dB is 1000 times the intensity of that... I doubt you are listening to much at 150dB.

An inefficient speaker can have a sensitivity of 82dB w/ 1 watt at 1 meter. A fairly efficient horn loaded speaker can have an efficiency of 102dB w/ 1 watt at 1 meter. Thats a 100x difference. At least a few professional speakers have an efficiency of 114dB w/ 1 watt at 1 meter (which is more than 1000x!).

Silver Member

Ontario Canada

Post Number: 371
Power it with bryston amps , there over built so they can take the abuse

Silver Member

Ontario Canada

Post Number: 373
Power it with bryston amps , there over built so they can take the abuse

Gold Member

IL Afghanistan,...

Post Number: 1160
lol scared? noooo i just am trying to make sure i am getting this right.. i dont wanna blow a bunch of money on stuff that wont do what im looking for. I think i am understanding what stephen is saying now.. but i will be listening to my music that loud stephen lol, my old setup b4 it just got messed up was hitting in the 140's daily, crap subs... why i am changing to DD and getting a second amp 6Krms :-D and yes they are different.. cars seem much easier!!!!but the power......cost so much :-(

Gold Member
Username: Joe_c

Atlanta, GA USA

Post Number: 1325
I hit 139db in my car and never would want it that loud in the house. Remember the amount of space you are working with in a vehicle vs. even a small room. The Denon I have is only rated at 90wpc and it's driving some OK JBL's. I can get it to go ( what seems like) as loud as the car. In the car, so you know I'm not foolin' I have jl 12w6v2 slotted to 32hz tune, 500/1 pushing it with cap, 300/4 with cap pushing two sets of boston rc620 comp's, upgraded electrical, Alpine Iva-d300, dynamat throughout etc..... A good 100wpc rec for the home mated with a pair of good floorstanders would kick the shite out of most any car audio frankenstein home experiment. And that is my opinion.

Silver Member
Username: Hannjeff

Halifax, Nova Scotia Canada

Post Number: 216
I use a marantz reciever that hits about 110w per channel I believe. I turn it about half way and i am shaking my basement. Any more than that and my neighbours are banging at my door. I like my neighbours. I also like my hearing lmao. Its not a being scared issue lol. Its the fact that I want to be able to hear my music when im 50.

Username: Sven_eriksson

Post Number: 9
kila you shuold by Macitosh amps with most wats! Nuck is good buddie with amps make most wats! Jan Ving or JJJaavis too good buddies all of that guys with th e lodest wats amps. budget mine not so much - dont lisen too bughet mine - he big retarded. Aiwa speeckers and Macitosh make most wats.

Silver Member
Username: Gavdawg

Upstate, New York

Post Number: 391
..... The loudest sound produced by a mechanical object was the Chrysler Air Raid siren, which hit 138dB at 100 feet from the horns. It was so powerful it had to be driven by a chrysler hemi v-8...yes, an alert siren driven by a v-8.

at that spl, the operator had to wear earplugs and earmuffs both, or they would be deafened instantly.

"The threshold of pain is 130 dB, anything above that level causes immediate ear damage. The Chrysler Air Raid Siren produces that level of sound over 200 feet in front of the projectors."

www.victorysiren.com

Gold Member

Post Number: 6216
eeeeeeyeeaahh.

Gold Member
Username: Arande2

Extreme SQ FTW

Post Number: 1852
Would 5hz at 150dB damage your ears?

Guys what's wrong with Behringer?

You're powering subs right?? Speakers? If so, what ones?

Can't you just get a Behringer EP2500, mount some Fi Q's in the wall and call it done? Maybe a JBL 4642A (1200w RMS, 101dB sensitivity, ~volume = 91dB sens. sub with ~12,000w~)?

I know practically nothing about what you're trying to do, so what can I say???

!.2! J!gawa!!s!

Platinum Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 13389
eeeeeeyeeaahh.

Gold Member

Post Number: 6240
I wonder how to spell the sound of Daffy Duck, rolling his tongue on the roof of his bill, ending with a wet clucking sound.
Like in 'Duck Amok'?

Silver Member
Username: Gavdawg

Upstate, New York

Post Number: 419
Well, the SenSurround theaters would drive huge Cerwin-Vega subwoofers with massive amps, producing 8Hz frequencies as high as 120dB. There were many reports of people becomming sick from the shockwaves, as well as the buildings comming into disrepair (plaster falling off the ceilings) because of the waves.

Gold Member

Post Number: 6247
Charleton Heston heaved at a company showing of Earthquake.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us