Good Thing I've Got A Warranty....

Silver Member
Username: Arande2

400dB could probably d..., SouthWest Mi... Too Many DBs...

Post Number: 930
Well I was watching a movie you see...BOOM explosion. The subwoofer quits making any tones and just makes a rattling noise at one frequency no matter what volume I play it at (I figure it's in the voice coil). Do you think I should have it repaired under warranty (5 year warranty) then return it and save up some money until I can afford the larger model so this doesn't happen again?

Remember the driver was almost hitting the floor when this happened and now I have to wait and either get it repaired and return...or keep it.

Do you think I should wait and save for the Seismic 12 instead? It wouldn't take too long to save the money anyway.

I'm kinda sad..

Silver Member
Username: Davidpa

Portland, Oregon US

Post Number: 312
Andre, your going to go broke finding the limit of things! Turn it down!
At the rate your going, I would be sure to get a very high paying job ie. Doctor, Lawyer, or congressman.

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 9658

Andre - Isn't that your mother yelling, "TURN THAT DOWN! ... OK, that's better."

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 5534
Huh?
Will someone answer that darn phone?!

Silver Member

Post Number: 931
Maybe if I can find a subwoofer with enough OUTPUT!!!!!!!!!!!! wHOO!!!!

Silver Member
Username: Bill984

Post Number: 202
or get your hearing checked. a hearing aid would be cheaper!!!

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 3832
I'm not hearing anything about earning money for all this stuff. How does a 14 yr old afford this level of irresponsility? Just curious.

Silver Member

Post Number: 935
Oh Art come on...you know I'm usually doing something to earn money like lawn mowing or whatever there is.

Well anyway I'm going to get $200 more and buy the Seismic 12.

Silver Member

Post Number: 936
When we took it in they looked at it and it turns out the motor was destroyed during the explosion. An Ultracube 12 should take care of it

Bronze Member
Username: Gavdawg

Post Number: 98
I find it hard to swallow that he blew his seismic. they are known to take abuse. Someone should have recomended SVS subs by now if this is really the truth :-)

www.svsubwoofers.com

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 3847
I have to agree Gavin....SVS it is!

Gold Member

Post Number: 5564
Kablooey!
SVS is tough to beat for the manner in which Andre(where is Andre's dad?) uses stuff.
Heck, even I havn't blown anything up.

Will somebody answer that phone?!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 99
Nuck, did you see my other post yet? I made a comment about buying a JBL VerTEC system. You know, the concert line array system. It was a little facetious, but I have a feeling that is the level of bass that he may be looking for.

Andre, if you have not heard of SVS, they are known for ultra loud bass. They are not the most accurate subwoofers on the market (at least the lower end of the price range). I believe that Art also had some misgivings about them as well, but there are numerous people that have bought their subs and swear by them.

If you want ultra loud bass that is also really low, give them a shot. But a warning, some of their subs are really huge.

www.svsubwoofers.com

Gold Member

Post Number: 5571
My guess is that huge is not a problem for Andre(where are you Andre's dad?), but payment may be, as Andre's brother may not carry SVS in the store he manages.
Yes?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1003
Well guys, I didn't get cash back, only store credit... That's right Nuck, only B&W, MartinLogan, Paradigm

What do you mean where's my dad?

Silver Member

Post Number: 104
he's being sarcastic, and thats how a warranty works. Most places will only give you store credit.

Silver Member

Portland, Oregon US

Post Number: 340
Andre, I have a teenage son, and I'm always telling him to "TURN IT DOWN". I think that is what Nuck is conveying here, if I were your dad, you would'nt have a chance to continue to blow things up!
Control the urge to test every limit young man. Some day you will find yourself with a very nice system, but nowhere to live (maybe someones garage) because of all the cash spent on audio replacements! And you'll look around and realize you could've had a 100g system, if you could've quit blowin stuff up! And a house.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1004
The problem is...it wasn't that loud! My dad agrees as well.. you can barely hear anything outside. Maybe a Servo 15?..?

Silver Member

Portland, Oregon US

Post Number: 342
If you cant hear it down the street, its not loud. Outside is nothing!
The seed is planted once again!

Silver Member

Portland, Oregon US

Post Number: 343
Oh, yeah, the Sevo15 will play LOUD. But why stop there, VelodyneDD1812

Gold Member

Post Number: 1006
WTF, that'll take me years... seriously what is the Servo 15 compared to the Seismic series?

I do realize that Paradigm is a good value.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1007
I'd just build a sub if I could stray off the path of B&W, Paradigm, or ML AND AND AND AND AND AND AND AND AND AND AND AND AND AND AND AND AND AND had more money... ... ... ... .

Silver Member

Post Number: 107
MartinLogan makes some of the best subs that I have ever heard. However, they are designed more for music than the bloated wind boxes you hear for home theater.

A music sub can do HT, but the reverse is not usually the truth. It will muddy everything up.

Silver Member

Post Number: 108
the servo is one step up from the seismic series if memory serves me correctly.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1011
Yeah, I just burst out crying for like 30 minutes and I don't know why. Anyway...

Yeah Gavin, I've heard the Depth and really liked it, but I still want to hear the Descent-i or Depth-i, I like the B&W 800 series subs.

Silver Member

Portland, Oregon US

Post Number: 344
everything ML. I cant take it!

Silver Member

Portland, Oregon US

Post Number: 345
especially when it doesnt apply to what this kid needs.

Silver Member

Portland, Oregon US

Post Number: 346
or is looking to do.

READ............................................................he likes to play it loud.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1016
How would an SVS do in a 2x2x10 room?

If I blew a Seismic 10, what am I going to do??? Seriously what's going to be able to provide the volume I need. I want the doorknob on our front door to rattle. The best I was able to do was rattle the lights in the bathroom on the other side of the house.

Silver Member

Portland, Oregon US

Post Number: 347
If its just the store credit you can use, get the servo15, it will take your abuse, and probably rattle your door handle as well.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1018
Thanks man

Silver Member

Portland, Oregon US

Post Number: 348
From all of us (a bit presumptuous maybe), to you Andre, no really, thank you man!

Gold Member

Post Number: 5585
hehehe

Silver Member

Post Number: 112
hahaha david

I wasnt giving him advice to buy ML, just making a statement that HT subs can't really play music, but the reverse is true.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 3856
It has been my experience that Paradigm subs are not hearty enough for the abuse proposed by Andre. I suggest getting whatever you can get at the store, don't unbox it and sell it on Audiogon. It's just money. How many Paradigm subs will you go through, makes no sense to keep up the madness. Once the new sub is sold on Audiogon you can get one of those VERY BIG SVS subs and let it all hang out!!! Just a thought.

Silver Member

Portland, Oregon US

Post Number: 349
I dunno Art, I've got a Servo 15, and actually after reading all of Andre's (problems?) I went and gave mine a workout just because (well, I can also afford to get something else, and kind of want to anyways!) and it wouldnt quit on me. I went through dark side of the moon, my wifes black eyes peas(lots of continuous bass) and a strictly bass (f-in) rap cd of my sons. I CANNOT blow that thing up, my wife was a little upset that now, all the pics in the house need to be centered again, but understood what I was doing once I mentioned what the situation was, and what my purpose was! She's glad Andre isn't our son by the way! Now, I'm off to help center pics!

BTW, gotcha Gavin!

Silver Member

Portland, Oregon US

Post Number: 350
Oh, and I agree.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 3859
My experience relative to the Paradigm subs come from owning 7 or 8 of them and having a friend who has sold and serviced them for 15 years. He owns 4 Servo 15's. 2 in his HT with Studio 100's all around and B&K gear the other 2 with his 2 channel setup with Audio Research gear and Apogee speakers. Perhaps I've just been around Paradigm too long and have seen too many subs in the boneyard. Heck I've blown 2 Paradigm subs and I definitely don't play 'em loud. Oops Andre didn't hear that did he.....

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 3860
Oh and David don't blow it up man...donate it to a worthy cause...maybe Andre could use 2. How are those pictures hangin'.

Silver Member

Portland, Oregon US

Post Number: 351
pics back in order! It is entirely possible due to my good treatment of the sub, it wants to serve(o) me better!?
Guess I mighta got a decent one?
Heck I even turned up the Aerial a bit! Now, THAT was fun!

Silver Member

Portland, Oregon US

Post Number: 352
Oh, and since my son heard the bass capabilities, I now set a limit on LFE, bass output, he'd just love to do what Andre keeps doing!

Gold Member
Username: Joe_c

Atlanta, GA USA

Post Number: 1330
First set of speakers $100

Second set of speakers $500

third set of speakers $4000

fourth set of speakers Priceless

For most purchases, there's VISA

for everything else....there's Andre Money

Silver Member
Username: Darth

The woodlands

Post Number: 112
Hey Andre,

Here is another option

http://www.earthquakesound.com/supernova15.htm

Cheers mate

Gold Member

Post Number: 5589
Andre, since you and Pappy agree that it wasn't that loud, is it possible that a shot of static, or bad signal got to the sub via source, cables or carpeting?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1020
No, Nuck. NOOOOOOOO, I do remember testing the sub out though. Before I got it, it had been on the showroom floor for about a day and I didn't know that. I ripped out heavy bass on it it's first time playing... maybe that had something to do with it. It hurt my ears though...it was plugged into all of Rotel's best.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1021
I really like the idea of a PB12-SVSUltra/2 or Plus/2..hehe

Gold Member

Post Number: 1025
Lol I've discovered I like this song.

Beastie Boys-Paul Revere

I turn it up just enough so the drivers on the mains hit their limits. I mean, I can feel it a lot, but I wish I had a sub. I'm going to try the Seismic 12 when I get the money and if it's enough, it's enough. If it's not, I may find myself ending up with an SVS PB12-Ultra/2 HEHE.

Silver Member

Post Number: 121
you DO NOT want the drivers on your main speakers to hit their limits!!!!

you are going to blow those next!

Haven't you learned anything from posting and reading?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1036
Don't worry I've done it for years.

Platinum Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 12638
Yeah Gavin, his breath of experience is now 6 years. He's been doing this since he was 8 years old. He knows what he's doing

Gold Member

Post Number: 5591
Salesman's dream. It ain't dry.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1037
L0L

Silver Member

Portland, Oregon US

Post Number: 358
See Ya in a week! Thanks, come again.

Gold Member

Post Number: 5592
Is that the salesman or the sandman?

Silver Member

Post Number: 124
Done it for years? And that would be two? I am 23, which is less than half the age of some of the guys on here (sorry guys, but I had to to put things into perspective).

you need to stop acting like an expert. I freely admit when I do not know anything about a certain portion of a post, but will give advice on what I DO know, just to avoid being misleading. While I am here, I learn and read.

I advise you to do the same instead of acting like you know what you are doing, which is clear to everyone making sarcastic posts that you do not.

Making a speaker hit its limits stresses its components, and will blow it. It can also "fry" the voice coil in extreme conditions. Speaker companies will NOT cover that under your warranty as it constitutes abuse.

Silver Member

Post Number: 125
I hope that does not read as an attack, but it is the truth.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1046
I don't read it as an attack, in fact, I was probably being a little misleading. I probably should've said I was pushing them to what I think was far enough, which is more like 5mm (out of 10max) lol. They're like 8 years old so

Silver Member

Post Number: 126
when you state that you are pushing them to the limit, it means it is as far as they go. This will blow them. Usually it means that you play them until they distort.

Silver Member

Post Number: 155
you guys should check out my last post on the bottom of this page here... it says a lot :-)

I put a few things together, and now really think Andre is full of $hit.

Look at what he says about his speakers on this page (age, how he makes them "hit the limits", and stuff like that), and look at my last post on this page

https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-audio/320290.html

it will all make sense.

I really believe I am correct on this one.

Platinum Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 12712
A lot have already come to some conclusion one way or the other, so just don't worry about it, Gavin.

Gold Member

Post Number: 5628
I hit the stops for a test one time too.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us