Maggies & NAD ?

Username: Bdr1117

Michigan USA

Post Number: 2
i know maggies are 4 ohm, and the T761 should be fine with that....but does a NAD deserve Maggies (or is it the other way around)?

i am thinking of selling some or all of my current speakers and buying a pair of Magnepan MMGW's to see if i like their sound, then possibly upgrade to a full surround setup. any thoughts as to whether or not my NAD could keep up with the smaller maggies?

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 3824
The 761 should do a fine job with the Maggies, just don't expect high spl's and prepare to buy a very good (read expensive) subwoofer to keep up with the Maggies. Do remember that the more power the better with Maggies. So although the 761 should do fine with them adding more in the way of an external power amp may be something to think of down the road.

Michigan USA

Post Number: 4
high spl's? how high could i go without melting the mags? i do like to listen to srv and metallica every now and then, they require a decent volume as far as im concerned. mainly im trying to open up the soundstage from my current b&w 601's, they're great for their size but im always looking to upgrade.

also id like to get the mmgw's for now, and use them as surrounds later. am i expecting too much from the small mags?

Silver Member
Username: Davidpa

Portland, Oregon US

Post Number: 311
simply put, yes.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 3826
To concur with David....yes.

Sorry to briefly interrupt...David are you going to the Portland Jazz Festival in a couple of weeks? My wife and I are doing the 7 top events of the firts weekend.

Michigan USA

Post Number: 6
so should i stick with b&w and just go bigger with my mains? i dont really want to give up on the mags if theres any potential for a better listening experience without burning out the mylar...

Michigan USA

Post Number: 8
maybe the larger mmg's may be a better place to start? i think they have a money back guarantee, so whats to lose?

id really like to know if anyone has smaller mags and listens to the range of music i do. i have to drive about 100 miles to get to a magnepan dealer, its a cheaper and probably more honest opinion here. thanks !!!

Silver Member

Portland, Oregon US

Post Number: 313
Hey Art, we are going to try, but right now my business is (no pun intended here) busy! Plus the kid is in full swing basketball, so time is precious. But it is our hopes to attend. But when you do go, drop me a line, and let me know how to find you. Also, if your in the area, you are still welcome to come hear my "mess"! lol

Silver Member

Portland, Oregon US

Post Number: 314
Sorry Brian, if I were you I would stick with your b&w, but thats just me. To each his own, but I just dont "get" the ML, or maggie sound, plus their not really meant for loud playback, and do rock, metal, or otherwise busy, fast and loud music terribly. (no war here please, just my opinion!)

Gold Member
Username: Hawk

Highlands Ranch, CO USA

Post Number: 1091
Brian:

I originally asnwered your post on the "Receivers" board--see my response there. Do not get the MMG-Ws to try out Maggies as those will be bass shy (after all, they are intended for surround speaker duty, not as mains). Spend a little more for the full range MMGs and I am certain you will be enthralled.

Simply put, Maggies are a very special speaker. People either love planars, like Magnepans, or they think it is all voodoo smoke and mirrors and they deride them for the "mystique" that surrounds the brand name. Only you can decide what you like. Personally, I think the Maggies blow away any conventional box speaker, regardless of the brand. So, try the MMGs and see if you are in the same camp. You can always send them back.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 3830
Will do David....looks like that mess has become more Aerial than ever before...wow!

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 3831
In my opinion having owned several Maggies the MMG's are so bass shy and weak as to almost turn off folks who would other wise be converts. Also Maggies are very seductive but most folks who go there are eventually turned off by their lack of accuracy and overall dynamics.

Michigan USA

Post Number: 10
well guys thanks again for the suggestions. i guess im really not sure what i will do now anymore than i was before i came to these forums. as always there are some contradictions in a forum like this, but overall its nice to see what actual maggie owners and/or other audiophiles have to say on the subject, rather than a salesman (rarely honest by nature).

im sure ill have more questions later, for now i will just use the best advice and take a listen to a few things and see what i like instead of just reading reviews and such.

thanks again!!!

Silver Member

Portland, Oregon US

Post Number: 315
Good Luck Brian, and HAVE FUN while your at it! There is so much out there to audition, it can be overwhelming at times, but once you find the one you really like, YOU WILL know it! Dave

Bronze Member
Username: Gavdawg

Post Number: 77
I listen to a very wide range of music (everything but metal) with my mmg's and love them. They have very tight, transient bass, but would not call it super deep. Midrange is outstanding, as well as the high frequency clarity.

Listening to music late at night is truly a pleasure, akin to having your own private concert :-)

I have been using a 50 watt rotel amp, and so far it has been enough for me. I don't listen at super loud volumes.

However, I concur that what you are looking for, maggies might not be for you if you are a perty animal or like it loud.

Try to find a pair of MartinLogans near you if you like to crank it up from time to time. They have a cone woofer for the bass duties, and an electrostatic mid-tweeter, which is a membrane (similar material to the mylar used in the magnepans). Although there are times I feel that I am the only one here that loves the sound of them, there are a few here that like them.

MartinLogans are more expensive than Magnepans due to the complexity, but I feel they play a wider range of music more easily because they are more dynamic. This is all provided that you have a taste for the sound that an ESL or maggie throws.

MartinLogans are not without faults. The detractors here claim that the woofer cone is slower than the electrostatic panel. I have heard this on some ML's, and not on others. You would have to hear them for yourself if you are interested, and judge them for yourself.

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 9672

Let's go back to my first post in your similar thread on another portion of the forum? (Why ask twice, did you think we'd give better advice somewhere else?)

Figure out what you want from the system. Panels don't do really and or lots of bass. If you want really loud, then you don't buy panels. Period. Buy a speaker that does loud. Look for something with an efficiency above 96dB and an easy impedance load.

If you want what panels do, then give up on loud for now. These are the compromises everyone makes as they assemble a system. You decide what's important to you and what you can give up within your budget. Then you buy the best product to suit what's most important to you for the amount of money you have. If loud is at the top of the list right now, then buy something that does loud. When you have more money you can have fewer compromises.

Bronze Member
Username: Gavdawg

Post Number: 88
thanks...

I meant to type that ML play more dynamic music louder much more easily than magnepans.

Jan, have you ever heard Innersounds?

They are an ESL with >90dB sensitivity, and can play just about anything thrown at them. They are a flat panel 'stat mated to a woofer in a transmission line cab, much cleaner than the ML, but alas, now much more expensive.

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 9675

Haven't heard them.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us