Building a Powered Subwoofer

mike
I was wondering if anyone has any experience building a powered Subwoofer. If you do, tell me if you think this would work somehow....

Build the sub passively. Then run your cable from the sub pre out in your main receiver into an old receivers input (like an old stereo or pro logic receiver) and then from the output into the passive sub.

My thinking behind this is the possibility of building a sub CHEAP!

Any ideas or opinions?

superfecta
Never really thought about it,but it should work.As long as you didn't have to put much money and didn't mind what it looks like...maybe put a passive x over of some sort to help smooth out the response.

Derek
I've built a few. First let me say that you will get better results buy simply buying a cheap Sony, JBL or Athena sub from Best Buy. Those subs start at $100.

If you realy want to do it though, go to www.partsexpress.com. They sometimes have Subwoofer amps for $50 and they have lots of very good woofers in the $30 to $150 range. You just need to build a build a box. They sell boxes but that would be defeating the purpose.

Hope this helps.

mike
Thanks for the tips guys. I think it would be a fun project, but if it costs as much to build it as it costs to buy a cheap JBL or Sony then I guess theres really no advantage.

Oh well, maybe one day when Im bored....

thanks again!

-mike

For what it's worth... My Xmas budget last year went to a couple of Paradigm bookshelf speakers with 6.5 in drivers. I felt a sub would help but with no bucks, what to do?

I recalled a box of stuff I bought at a garage sale... Sansui stereo pre-amp/amp, a tuner, turntable, and a couple of Radio Shack speakers. I dusted off the amp and connected it to the sub output of my home-made tube pre-amp.

The tweeters were fried in both RS boxes, so I pulled the grill, grabed my sabre saw and converted a tweeter hole to a 8 inch driver hole. I took the base driver from box 2 and placed it in box 1 -- now have a box with 2 8" drivers. They were very light weight speakers, but the arrangement does sound better than the Paradigms alone. So, in a matter of an hour or so, I did what you wanted to try. I had only paid $50 for the garage sale stuff so investment was minimal.

I've also seen auto sub-woofer boxes in pawn shops by the dozens. They can be cheap but I don't know enough about the speakers to risk a purchase. I know I don't like the sound of them when they are beside me at a stop light!

Rob
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us