Upgrade from PSB image b25????

Bronze Member
Username: Malco49

Baltimore, Maryland Usa

Post Number: 43
would it be worth it to upgrade to say the PSB stratus bookshelf or the paradigm studio 20 v4
with cambridge AZUR 540a-denon 290 cdplayer-and project debut lll.

frank?? art??? anyone else

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 3801
Only you can say whether it is worth the extra outlay. My opinion is that it would be. The Studio 20's are a speaker that you can grow with for quite sometime. In the end your primary source will have to be upgraded to experience all of the difference that the Studio 20's have to offer.

Silver Member
Username: Arande2

400dB could probably d..., SouthWest Mi... Too Many DBs...

Post Number: 774
This tells me I need more money.

Gold Member
Username: Hawk

Highlands Ranch, CO USA

Post Number: 1037
1. How big is your room?

2. What is your budget?

3. What is missing to your ears?

I expect you would not be asking if you didn't think you could improve your sound, determining what is missing to your ears is an important part of the analysis. Is the sound not engaging enough? Does it seem too laid-back and reserved sounding?

Now, Cambridge and PSB would not be a pairing I would have made, even though each product is a superb unit; nevertheless, I have found both the Cambridge and the PSB speakers to be rather reserved sounding (too polite). I never like to pair two parts of the chain that sound the same (e.g., reserved sounding amp with reserved sounding speakers). So, just taking a shot at improving your speakers, I might be inclined to suggest something much more forward sounding, such as these speakers:

http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=JMCO806

I can be more specific if you answer my questions, listed above.

Gold Member

Highlands Ranch, CO USA

Post Number: 1038
mitchell:

BTW, you also might find that the source of dissatisfaction is not your speakers, but your Denon cd player--I found that player rather un-inspiring regardless of the cd played. I might suggest an NAD cd player as a very positive upgrade.

Bronze Member

Baltimore, Maryland Usa

Post Number: 44
hawk etc
well i took the plunge and ordered a cambridge AZUR 640C v2.to replace the denon.it started to dawn on me that my listening was more critical than background so the multi-disc had to go.
hawk-i audtioned the KEF Q seris as well as the focal labs(the series that matched the PSB image B25 @pricepoint)and actually like the reserved sound of the speakers,i call it warmer more bass and fuller sounding.the focal speakers were too harsh bright etc.the KEF Q series was my second choice.
well thanks for the thought provoking responses that lead me to feel that an upgrade in CDP will best focus my listening and help me with any future decision making regarding my speakers.
OMG have i (i have)entered upgrade world!!!

Bronze Member

Baltimore, Maryland Usa

Post Number: 45
addendum

hawk the room i listen in is smallish
budget modest.can upgrade periodically.right now have about have about $2000 invested.could see myself doubling over next 18months or so.
can't say what is missing.
BTW use audioquest cables(i forget the line but maybe sidewinder were around 60USD

one more ???
regarding speaker wire i use slightly upgraded wire has thickish platic wrap would an upgrade here make any diff?
i did notice a diff when i listened through the audioquest.

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 5358
mwf, the speaker leads are the least of your worries right now, you have enough on your plate.

Sufficient leads are suffficient, the interconnects are more worthy of your consideration.

Everything works as a package!
Linearality. Conciencious co-operation. abject sublimation to the cause.

3 old pieces of junk worked together at one time, yours will too!

Listen to the music.

Gold Member

Post Number: 5359
Just don't follow my typing. D'oh!

Listen to the music.

Gold Member

Highlands Ranch, CO USA

Post Number: 1049
mitchell:

Congratulations. That is an excellent choice for a CD player! I think you will really notice a difference over the Denon.

Wait to upgrade anything else until after you have listened to your new Cambridge CD player for about 100 hours. You might find that you have found what was missing in your system, already. It can take that long for a new component to be fully broken in and for you to become fully familiar with the sound.

Now, when you listened to the focals and the KEFs, did you listen with an amp just like yours? It can make a huge difference. I happen to agree with your charecterization of the sound of these respective speakers as I know the french made focals are much more aggressive sounding than the KEFs--I find the focals work best with very, very reserved sounding amps such as h/k and Pioneer Elite. The key here is that the amp has a sound of its own, and there is a synergy to be found between the amp and the speakers. KEFs are much more middle of the road in their sound, so I am not surprised you liked their sound. But, again, the amp which was driving the KEFs will strongly influence what you ultimately hear. This is why so many long time participants on this board usually suggest that before you buy, you take a component home and try it out in your home with your other equipment first. Alternatively, I have been known to lug my amplifier into an audio store to audition some speakers. If I go when they aren't busy, they almost always accomodate me.

I well remember the first stereo system I bought was one I assembled by reading countless product reviews and doing numerous in store auditions. I set my budget and bought the best reviewed receiver, the best reviewed speakers, and the best reviewed turntable, and the best reviewed cartridge at their respective price points that fit into my budget (each was from a different dealer). Well the end result was horrible. The cartridge was not compliant enough for the turntable I chose (skipped a lot on very dynamic material unless I really upped the weight onto the record), and the receiver and the speakers were both bright sounding, so the end result was that I learned what audio fatigue was (much to my chagrin). I actually got to the point I could not listen for 20 minutes without turning off the system. I subsequently moved to Lawrence, Kansas for grad school and the good guys at Kiefs taught me how to put together a good system.

I am not going to get into whether wire (interconnects and speaker cables) make a difference! I have never seen a topic provoke stronger opinions in my life (my dad always told me never to talk politics, religion or speaker wire!). Yes, it does sound like you have Audioquest Sidewinder interconnects as they generally run about $60 for a one meter pair. You can do better only if you are willing to spend some serious cash, and even then you may not hear a difference. As for speaker cables, I am not clear on what you have. However, I will say that if you hear a difference with another type of cables, and you like the result, get them. Ultimately, this is your system and what sounds best to you is the right choice no matter what component we are talking about, including speaker cables. Now, I personally love Ethereal brand speaker cables. Here is a source for them that I think is pretty reasonable price-wise, provided you use banana type connectors:

https://www.digitalconnection.com/store/Product_List.asp?CID=3&CAT=SPEAKER%20CAB LE

If you want to use spades or bare wire, here is another fine speaker cable (Audioquest) that is reasonably priced:

http://hcmaudio.com/comp.asp?compID=61

I hope this helps!

Gold Member

Post Number: 5369
So there you are, Mitch.
Pretty much a jumble of info so far, with 2 members of equally jumbled experiences and results.
I have never really understood the whole audio in words thing, like Timn8er said 'Talking about music is like dancing about arcetecture'.

But he stole the quote and spelled it righter.

I am making light, but you will find the way.

Music, listen to more music.

Bronze Member

Baltimore, Maryland Usa

Post Number: 46
nuck hawk
i do think i have plenty to keep me occupied stereo wise for a bit now!!but i do have a question pertaining to speakers and wire.not sure what a banana plug is.the speakers i have are PSB image B25 and they use connections where "bare" wire is more or less screwed in.is a banana plug something that is "made" with the existing connection and popping out a bit of plastic?
right now am using wire that says precision stranded high resolution speaker cable with magnetic flux tube and LPE dielectic.
oh by the way did i mention my pro-ject debubtIII
and......

Gold Member

Highlands Ranch, CO USA

Post Number: 1071
mitchell:

These are banana plugs:

http://hcmaudio.com/comp.asp?compID=365

I am sure your speakers accept banana plugs, as most quality components do. Almost everything of any quality has what are called "five-way binding posts" which accept bare wire, spade connectors and banana plugs. Some do require that a small plastic cap be removed to use banana plugs. Many audiophiles are split over what is the best connector to use, but I am not one of them. As long as you have good contact, you're good.

Sounds like you have some pretty good speaker wire there--they wouldn't use all those fancy terms if they weren't trying to impress somebody. So, you must have some type of audiophile grade speaker wire.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us