Use Of An Inverter?

Silver Member
Username: Arande2

400dB could probably d..., SouthWest Mi... Too Many DBs...

Post Number: 693
I was thinking maybe you could use a pure sine wave power inverter that had enough continuous output for your home stereo.

The advantage would be a clean 60hz 120v pure sine wave power output without any interference or fluctuations from the power grid.

You'd always get a nice clean signal to your equipment so it could perform it's best. With properly interference shielded equipment and proper cabling, do you think this would benefit a good music/HT system?

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 9628

What do you use as a source of power for the inverter? How do you maintain a constant charge sufficient to provide the current required to power a resonable sized system for several hours? Where do you find an inverter that doesn't add crap on its own side? Most inverters are designed to power a boom box from the car battery while you're at the park. What's the cost of an inverter that isn't built to the lowest common demoninator in terms of parts quality? How much more improvement can you make in your system with a decent AC line conditioner rather than putting your money into the inverter and all its attendant problems/solutions? What about grounding problems between various components? When do the amperage limitations become apparent with a high quality music system? The internals of an amplifier modulate DC voltage rather than AC, why not just do away with the DC to AC inversion and AC to DC rectification in the first place?

Silver Member

Post Number: 717
Hmm good point. I guess you'd have to be pretty dedicated if you were to use an inverter to power your system. Hmm, I wonder exactly how a power conditioner works...

You could multiple inverters, one for each component I guess. Maybe you could modify the amp to run off a bank of batteries at a specific voltage?

Of course, it's probably a much better idea to use a good line conditioner.

Thanks for answering a question with questions.

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 5229
Andre, a 120-120 inverter is about the noisest source you could find. The grounding issues aside, you would be far better off with a natural gas turbine generator for consistant sine generation. The stand alone generator can create a full wave, whereas the inverter still 'clips' the top a of a wave just above 60.00 Hz, recreating the original input.

Most inverters are made for AC motors, where noise is a non-issue.

Just plug it in, dude.

And get an amp with a massive torroidal, THAT needs no protection or specific power supply at all.
Protect the controls, ignore the amp.

Silver Member

Post Number: 720
Cool!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us