Low efficiency speakers

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 5212
I will soon have another Classe ca200 amp and will mono bridge them. Each amp is rated at 1200wpc mono @4 ohms. Regardless of the actual power, it is a lot.

Can we name a speaker which would really benefit from this level of power? I mean to fully extrapolate the speaker's abilities and make you go 'WOW'?

And do it for under 5k.

The thread title is an indication of what I might expect, but I dunno.

http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?ampstran&1173187281

Gold Member
Username: Hawk

Highlands Ranch, CO USA

Post Number: 1028
Uhh, Nuck, did you also buy your own power plant? Oh, well, at least in winter you won't need central heat . . .

Seriously, though, congrats--Classe makes wonderful amps. I do know one speaker that will make you go WOW! with that kind of power: Magnepan 3.6s. MSRP of $3750/pr. Killer sound--absolutely killer

Second choice--Ohm Walsh 300-S3s. $3500/pr. Again, another low efficiency speaker, but the Walsh drivers is so amazing with enough power. Order factory direct with a 120 day listening tryout: http://www.ohmspeakers.com/styles_walsh.cfm

Gold Member

Post Number: 5217
Thanks Hawk. I somehow knew that the power factor would bring Maggies into the picture!
They seem to present a steady 4ohm load no matter what, and one reviewer said that the Bryston 7sst brought them to life.
I will one up those amps.
Thanks, Hawk.

Any more?

Gold Member

Post Number: 5218
In fact, I wonder if the Maggies need a sub or two?
Likely, for an over the top kit.
REL or M&K? One per side, of course.

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 9626

Big Thiels.

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 3790
Well boy howdy....those amps should power anything you want to power. 3.6's and REL or Vandersteen subs...ya that's nice, not sure if it works for your music preference. Go forth and find any speaker you like and drive them to distraction...go on now...

BTW I really like Aerial Acoustics and Vandersteen speakers, not sure the latter would get loud enough for you. The Quattro is above your stated budget but comes with the subs built in. I would check the used market for the best bang for the buck.

Gold Member
Username: My_rantz

Australia

Post Number: 1035
A couple of banks of Marshal speakers!

Gold Member

Post Number: 5220
I can see Rantz bending the neck of a strat in front of a Marshal stack even now...

Seriously folks, the volume is only a part of the proper presentation.
Harry Chapin, some Chopin and Van Halen. And movies, lower volume. Think 'The English Patient'. Oh and 'The Rock'.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 3791
"the volume is only a part of the proper presentation"

I know that, just ain't sure that you do.

Gold Member
Username: My_rantz

Australia

Post Number: 1036
"I can see Rantz bending the neck of a strat in front of a Marshal stack even now..."

While I have a cheap Chinese made version of the above, I see myself more with a Gibson - love that sweet sound. In my dreams - one day I may learn to play - instead of just playing.

As for speakers, those amps have plenty of clean power in reserve to drive almost any fastidious speaker - B&W's come to mind as they perform well under those circumstances, but then so do many others. It's a crap shoot Nuck, one you'll need to sort through with your 5K budget to suit your ears. The Spendor 9Se is nice also.

Gold Member

Post Number: 5222
If the Dyn's weren't so ugly...

http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?spkrfull&1173806088

Gold Member

Post Number: 5223
Art, that seems kinda harsh.

Gold Member

Post Number: 5228
Art, how do you think the Paradigm 20's or the ProAc 110's, 140's or the 220's would respond to an unlimited amount of Classe power, dead flat response?
I can't see a problem with unlimited power.
Unless I get corrupted.

Nawww.

Silver Member
Username: Arande2

400dB could probably d..., SouthWest Mi... Too Many DBs...

Post Number: 719
Oh, that's so funny! Nuck Nuck Nuck Nuck Nuck Nuck!

Gold Member

Post Number: 5234
http://cgi.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/auc.pl?spkrplan&1170038767

Silver Member
Username: Arande2

400dB could probably d..., SouthWest Mi... Too Many DBs...

Post Number: 726
Ooh I like those.

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 9632

http://www.mcintoshlabs.com/mcprod/shopdisplayproducts.asp?hid=1&id=20&cat=Louds peaker+Systems&prodid=1042&product=XRT28

Negotiate, negotiate, negotiate!

Gold Member

Post Number: 5235
This one will take a while, JV.

Remember my last post, looking for a kickass kit, it took almost 5 months to get er done.
This one will get done, with caution, perseverence and a lot of shopping.

Thanks for the post, I will shop!

Gold Member

Post Number: 5236
How the hell do I negotiate with these monsters?!
I can deal with the best of 'em, but Oy!

802's come into play as well.

Silver Member
Username: Davidpa

Portland, Oregon US

Post Number: 289
Nuck, you know of my recent additions, give yourself a treat and put Aerials on your list, you wont be disappointed.
Another to consider IMO if you wont/cant up the budget a hair would be the paradigm S8s, but then againg the paradigm S8s were the ones that I couldnt justify moving out of the NHT 2.9s, so you may feel the same way.
I think you are on the right track w/ Dynaudio as well, I listened to some of their line, and it is also a fine speaker. I will get the model numbers that I auditioned as I cant recall off the top of my head, but out of all that I did audition, the Dynaudio line could've won had I not had the chance to hear the Aerials.
I did have one question though, are you a fan of forward, bright, laid back or nuetral. Im guessing nuetral, but could be wrong. Its the choice of amp that gives me that impression.
Have fun, as I'm sure you will!

Gold Member

Post Number: 5239
Thanks, David.
I can't call the presentation at this point.
I have to think that 'natural' would match best.
Bearing in mind my high tone hearing loss, and loving 'SRV', John Mellencamp, Chopin, the LSO, and Lyle Lovett, and Bonnie Raitt, I expect perfection for my 5 large.

And the ability to absolutely BLAST Queen's Tenement Funster.

Silver Member

Portland, Oregon US

Post Number: 290
You plan on buying new, or used, or whatever the best deal presents itself?
New Aerial 7Bs are gonnal take your whole wad, but they will give you some range for sure.
Dynaudio focus 220 will do the same, but I think the 7Bs are a bit "better", more like
your "natural" preference, (I'll take that as nuetral, I think they may in fact be one in the same)
My main reason for Aerial was the neverending layers of sound they create, I've found stuff in recordings I honest to GOD did not know existed, and now I find myself going back through stuff I had long forgot about!
The Dynaudio's were very nuetral, or "natural", but didnt give the same presentation of layer after layer like the Aerials, you will also notice when you get out to demo that with the power you are giving them, the Aerials will gladly eat up and ask for more, whereas the Dynaudios do have their limits, at least what I encountered. The Dynaudio's I demod were powered w/classe as well ( remember I almost went that route as well) And either the classe, or Dynaudio struggled a bit in the most dynamic passages at higher volumes, whereas the Aerials never even batted an eye.
Another option would be used LR5s, if you could get your hand on those bad boys used, you've essentially conquered the world, AND monopolized all the power at the same time!

Gold Member

Post Number: 5240
David, thank you for your contribution.
Wheater the Classe or the Dyn's pooped out first is a hard call from here.

I have zero experience with the Aerial's. I need to find a local dealer.

I actually prefer used, for the $value, and the 'run-in' that usually accompanies these speakers. I am not afraid of abused units, anything poorly treated will be readily apparant.

I will chase down some Aerials.

Thanks.

Silver Member

Portland, Oregon US

Post Number: 292
the bug has bitten

Gold Member

Post Number: 5245
Quick, Henry, get the FLIT!

I also happened across these, but don't find a lot of info on them.

http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/details/47102-ruark_accolade__top_of_the_line_spe aker_very_rare__superb_with_naim_exposure_densen_cyrus_creek__/

Gold Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 1828
Nuck,

1. If the Dynaudios weren't so ugly, you still couldn't afford them...:-)

2. Dynaudio's speaker in your price bracket would be the slimmer, neater looking Confidence C2 model, possibly...

3. Alternative Dynaudio offering would be the Special 25.

All Dynaudios are single wired so biamping is not an option. You'd have to bridge...

My choice of speaker for this application (400w/ch) would be Totem's Mani-2 Signature which is what I use at home to great effect. Again, a large standmount, the Totem stands should be considered as de rigeur. Very inefficient, isobaric design, with tremendous bass and well integrated treble. i love 'em, but you knew that.

Regards,
Frank.

Gold Member

Post Number: 5253
Thanks, Frank.
My dealer has the evidence as well. I honest to goodness dropped one decimal place when I read that ad. You are correct in assessing my ability to complete that purchase. D'oh! I blame it on a beer moment.

Dealer also has the 25 speaker, or did 2 mos ago.

That one may be a great value holder, as well.
At the rate I am going, that may matter.
Bad Nuck.

Gold Member

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 1836
Nuck,

My experience with the Special 25 is that it is quite room-dependant. I've heard it sound fabulous and I've heard it sound mechanical and boring. It's partly a question of setup of course, but when they work, they're truly remarkable.

And don't forget those Mani-2s...

Regards,
Frank.

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 1559
Nucko,

Quad ESL 57

There's a guy on audiogon who refurbs and sells reburbed Quads. Maybe worth looking into. I haven't heard them, but many people consider them the best speakers ever made. You've obviously got the funds and power. What are you waiting for?

http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?spkrplan&1172422197

Gold Member

Post Number: 5256
Stu, John A. is likely pumping his fist right now.
Thanks for that link/info.

Gold Member

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 1848
ELS57s are not designed to take huge gobs of power. When they were designed, 40w was considered loads. Your single CA200 would be more than enough to drive them, and would get round multi-amp problems such as combing issues courtesy of the different routes the signal takes to get to you.

Regards,
Frank.

Gold Member

Post Number: 5335
Yet another lesson learned, Frank.
How about the ESL's with 12w of tubes in a closer listening space?
Like Jimmy Dorsey or Pink Floyd?

Gold Member

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 1851
ESLs or ELSs?

The 57s were the ELS. The 63s were the ESLs. The 63s were designed with more power in mind (100wpc). The ELSs were designed with the much earlier amps in mind, if not quite 12wpc. A classic combination was the Quad 22 which was about 22wpc, strangely enough...

regards,
Frank.

Gold Member

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 1562
ESL or ELS?

Google search turns up an equal number of both ESL 57 and ELS 57. Their seem to be just as many credible sources calling them the ESL 57 as their are calling them ELS 57. Maybe Quad should make a statement. Their website doesn't mention either one anywhere.

Very interesting...

Gold Member

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 1563
Sorry, substitue "their" with "there."

Gold Member

Post Number: 5439
I repeated your steps, Stu.
Odd on their website.

Frank, backing up, can you explain or link me to 'combing'? I am unfamiliar with it.

At the rate I am going, within 2 years, this may be the only comb that concerns me, LOL!

Gold Member

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 1858
Stu,

Trust me, the 57s were ELSs. The 63s were ESLs. I was being pedantic. :-)

Combing is more usual with speakers. If a speaker has two drive units being used for the same frequencies, their outputs can 'comb' and produce additive or destructive distortions (depending on the nature of the comb). This can also occur with biamping. It's particularly the case if different cables and cable lengths are used. It's not as obvious as with the speaker scenario because more often than not one amp is used for treble and the other bass/midrange so the frequencies don't overlap. However, you can still get combing because there is always some overlap and when you add differences in cable lengths (e.g. treble cable lengths are 3 m and basss/midrange lengths are 4m), you run into this problem where the frequencies are either out of phase or comb in at the crossover points of the speaker (Naim used to get around this problem by using one stereo amp per speaker in their active systems).

I haven't used a comb in years Nuck! It's great, although wintertime makes a hat a requirement...

Regards,
Frank.

Gold Member

Post Number: 5535
Thank you Frank.

Gold Member

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 1570
Never doubted you for a second Frank. It was one of those Abbott & Costello moments.

"Who's on first?"

Gold Member

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 1860
Aha! Abbott & Costello. I hate to say this but my only exposure to them and that famous sketch is via Rain Man. We didn't have A&C where I grew up. In fact, we only had one TV station when I was a boy and that came on at 6pm and switched off at 11pm.

Ah woe is me! So much missed.

Regards,
Frank.

Gold Member

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 1876
Y'know, sometimes I come up with some real crap. The ESL/ELS thing was bugging me so I've been doing some research and nowhere can I find a reference to them as ELS. Perhaps I was wrong.

Regards,
Frank.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 3836
Yeah and I'm enjoying Charles Lloyd through my cardboard as I type...

Gold Member

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 1877
Must mean something to you...not me...

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 3837
"I am not a fan of the Rega loudspeakers. To me they sound like so much cardboard."

It was a tongue-in-cheek reference to your statement on another thread relative to the Rega speakers. No harm, just fun.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us