Advice needed on entry level Stereo system

Username: Vinodm67

Mumbai, Maharashtra India

Post Number: 1
Hello, I'm new to this board and a bit wet behind the ears when it comes to Professional Audio.

Currently im looking for a stereo system, as my 20 year old Akai died on me. I need a system mainly to listen to music. Dont really think I need anything more than a 2 speaker system. My music tastes are Classic Rock, Jazz, and the like. I am not into very deep bass.
I am from Mumbai,India, and my budget is around Rs.30K for the Amp and Speakers. (USD 600)
I have been suggested a Yamaha RX 396 Amp with Monitor 50 or Jamo E500 speakers.
I need some help.
Thanks in advance ...

Gold Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 1812
Professional Audio? That's not this board, which caters for music in the home, or HiFi. But I think you do want information from this board.

If you want a complete system for under USD600, you may wish to consider an all-in-one solution like the Onkyo CR515DAB. Great little box with CD, tuner and amp. Add a pair of speakers such as the Wharfedale Diamond 9.0 and you'll have a lovely little system.

In the separates arena the entry level brands I rate (but not sure if they're in your price bracket anyway) would be NAD and Cambridge Audio.

Regards,
Frank.

Post Number: 2
Unfortunately, here the Onkyo is sold as a package. I didnt really like the Onkyo speakers. Guess I will have to go the separates way.

Rgds
Vinod

Gold Member
Username: Hawk

Highlands Ranch, CO USA

Post Number: 1013
Vinod:

For good two channel sound, I think all you need is an NAD integrated amp and a pair of speakers that sound good to you. Since I don't know what speaker brands are available to you, it is hard to suggest much, but you should be able to find B+W 303s to fit your budget with the NAD amp. It would make for a very good system.

Good luck!

Post Number: 3
Thanx for the advice Hawk. Am visiting a few dealers this weekend. Will have a lot more questions after that to the board.

Gold Member
Username: Hawk

Highlands Ranch, CO USA

Post Number: 1024
Let us know how it goes, Vinod!

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 5204
http://cgi.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/auc.pl?ampstran&1169692708&1168653844

Post Number: 4
Ah. Finally. After a lot of hard work have finally zeroed on a NAD 320bee Amp and either the Wharfedale 8.3 or the Polk Monitor 50 speakers. Any suggestions?

Gold Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 1874
You might need a CD player?

Silver Member
Username: James_the_god

Doncaster, South Yorkshire England

Post Number: 382
I've heard negative things about the wharfedale 8.3s. The 2 bookshelfs are good and the floorstanders dont cut it. So I've read!! Don't take it from me, try have a listen. Its ironic that I say this, because when I entered this board, everyone said take a listen. I blindly bought the wharfedale 8.1s and glad I did. However, I blindly bought an amp which was a bad idea at first. Tuning via a soundcard software program has sorted it out though thankfully.

You might also need an upgrade on speaker wire?

Post Number: 5
Did hear the 8.3 and was quite happy with it. Yes I also need good cables
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us