CD/DVD..AUDIO QUALITY

BRETT POHANKA
HI, IVE NEVER REALLY POSTED MUCH ON DISCUSSION BOARDS BUT I HAVE A QUESTION THAT PERHAPS SOMEONE COULD HELP ME OUT WITH IF THEYD BE SO KIND.

I HAVE A 5 DISC SONY CD DISC CHANGER AND IT RECENTLY HAS BIT THE DUST. SO IM LOOKING TO REPLACE IT. I STARTED LOOKING AT DENON/ONKYO/YAMAHA. I SAW SOME MODELS IN MY PRICE RANGE ($300-400)THAT LOOKED APEALING AND THEY SEEMED COMPETIVE IN PRICE AND QUALITY. THEN I SAW THESE DVD PLAYERS THAT PLAYS CD/CDW/CDR/MP3'S AS WELL AS DVD'S. IM NOT REAL INTO VIDEO BUT I DO WATCH DVDS(ON MY PC RIGHT NOW). I WAS JUST WONDERING IF THE CD PLAYER ASPECT IN A DVD PLAYER/CHANGER IS GOOD OR IS IT BETTER TO GO WITH A PLAYER JUST FOR CD'S. IM NOT REAL INTO THE WHOLE HOME ENTERTAINMENT SYTEMS (SUROUND SOUND ETC.) I LIKE THE AUDIO ASPECT(MUSIC). i HAVE HEARD THAT DVD PLAYERS PLAY CDS EVEN BETTER THAN NORMAL CD PLAYERS, I WAS WONDERING IF THATS TRUE. ANY ADVICE WOULD BE APPRECIATED.

BRETT

Anonymous
If you are primarily into 2 channel music and want a 5 disc changer go with something like the Denon DCM-380. It is a very good CD player with Burr Brown 24bit 96khz DAC. It plays CD, CD-R/RW, MP3 and also HDCD. If you would like to explore SACD, the Sony SCD-C222ES is very good. In my experience a GOOD dedicated CD player will perform better than a all-in-one DVD/everything player in this price range.

Thanks for the reply. So you think a cd player will perform better than a dvd player. OK. I did notice you said:

"In my experience a GOOD dedicated CD player will perform better than a all-in-one DVD/everything player in this price range."

The keyword Im interested in is "in this price range"

Do the higher end( more money) dvd players/super disc players perform good enough to be competive with equal higher end cd players. Or is it pretty much buy a exclusive piece of equipemnt for your use. I do find it courious when i look at DVD players specs i usually dont find distortion levels listed, rather hard to pick one then I guess.

Also I was wondering do you feel Denon is still cutting edge in thier cd players, for I know they used to be considered to be. I just hope Im not cutting myself short the Denon you talked about sounds great but can it be for $299. I dont mind spending upwards of 450 or so on a cd player but I guess Id have to see if it was really worth it.

Thanks for the help.
Brett

Anonymous
Ok Brett, it's me again. The point I was trying to make is that for any given price point a dedicated CD player will out perform a multi-format player of the same price. IMO to get the quality CD playback of say the DCM-380 you would have to spend quite a bit more on a DVD changer to equal the sound quality for redbook CDs. The difference becomes even greater when you are talking about single disc CD only players. If I were going to spend $500± on a CD only CHANGER I would buy the Sony C555ES. A wonderful redbook CD Player and even better on SACD. This player originally had a MSRP of $1,000± but can be found for around $500. The Sony C222ES can be had for about $350 and is equal on the SACD side and just slightly below the redbook performance of the C555ES.

The Denon DCM-370 (prior model to the DCM-380)I listened to was very nice but I decided to go with the Sony C222ES for SACD.

If you wanted to go with a multi-format player I would go with nothing less than a Denon DVD-2900. It is a progressive scan DVD player that also plays DVD-Video, DVD-R, DVD-RW, Video CD, SACD, DVD-Audio, CD, CD-R & CD-RW, and MP3 as well as Kodac picture discs. It is a very nice player but MSRP is $999.

Another multi-format option is the Pioneer Elite DV-47Ai with a MSRP of $1,200 or the DV-45A with a $700 MSRP Both play all of the formats of the Denon but the DV-45A is not up to the DVD-2900 performance.

BTW all of the multi-format players mentioned are single disc players.

Bottom line...If you are primarily interested in CD playback, want a 5 disc changer and want the best bang for the buck go with a dedicated CD player. Any mentioned above will serve you well. Find them and listen if you can. Oade Brothers (Check out their web site then give them a call) have the best buys on the Sonys. The Denon can be found in lots of places. for under MSRP. To get equal sound quality from a DVD player you will have to spend quite a bit more IMO.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us