Lfe in or y adapter

Silver Member
Username: Bill984

Post Number: 187
is the re an advantage of using a y adapter from the reciever to sub over a straight single input? if so what is it?

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 5158
The 'y' provides the bass signal from both channels.

Silver Member
Username: Daniel_canada

Canada

Post Number: 258
I tried that once when I ran a sub, turned the whole system in to mono!

Silver Member
Username: Davidpa

Portland, Oregon US

Post Number: 271
no advantage, theres no need to send the same signal twice. Sounds to me like its more of an option for having two subs, unless it states otherwise, ie Left channel, Right channel, which I doubt. Also, the y adapter can be used at the sub, with one output from reciever/processor, and once again no real advantage.

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 9586

If you mean splitting the LFE signal at the subwoofer in order to go from a single LFE output at the receiver to a dual input at the sub, then, yes, there is an advantage. By driving both channels of the sub's plate amplifier (this is a powered sub; is it not?) you will have an aditional six dB of gain from the sub's amplifier. All this really means is you don't have to set the gain control as high when driving both channels. There might be a slight signal to noise benefit when driving both inputs but that isn't of any significant consequence when you're dealing with subwoofer frequencies. The amplifier will still clip (run out of power) at the same point in its voltage delivery but that point will simply occur at a lowered gain setting. This split signal helps when you are running mismatched sets of speakers to sub and you cannot get enough gain from the sub with a single channel driven to match levels with highly efficient mains. Other than the additional gain there is not other benefit to spliting the signal. The LFE is most often a multiplexed mono signal from the processor.

If you are asking about combining two LFE outputs into one subwoofer input, that would be dumb. One side of the LFE will drive the sub as well as two in that case. In a very sophisticated processor, you could actually do damage to the system by combining outputs.

You can always split an output but never combine two outputs with a Y connector.

Silver Member
Username: Arande2

400dB could probably d..., 4000 isnt ev... 100,000dB FU...

Post Number: 576
Hip Hop Just Died This Morning! She's dead. She's dead.

Silver Member

Post Number: 577
I guess the extra gain would be good if you're trying to see if you can blow your subwoofer. You could also drive the line I guess.

KaBOOOM. No that wasn't the movie or kick drum. That was your sub.

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 9588

"You could also drive the line I guess."

?

If you just drive the line, eventually you're going to run into somebody comming the opposite direction.

As I said, you can damage your sub with either lower or higher gain. The amp will run out of power when it delivers its maximum voltage no matter how much gain you apply. The level control will just show a lower setting if you drive both inputs and have the additional six dB of gain}.

Silver Member

Post Number: 580
Cool. I wonder if sub amps can put out more at a specific frequency because of the driver's impedance.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us