4 ohm v's 8 ohm

Username: Slickmick

Post Number: 2
I am trying to see if I will cause damage to anything running 2 x 4ohm speakers powered by a home stereo. I have fitted my eaves on my house with car speakers. 2 speakers are connected together running from the same wire. Left balance will power one set and right balance will power the other set of two.
Thankyou

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 5156
Yes you will cause damage.

Platinum Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 12251
Connect them to get an 8 ohm load.

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 9584

I have to say it seems less than the brightest idea to make the hook up and then ask if it will damage the receiver. I almost feel the op powered up the system and after a good blast of music no sound comes out, so, the question is now, "Can I damage this?"

Sorry if that seems harsh, MP, but there are protocols for making connections with audio equipment. The first is, know what you're doing. You don't seem to fit that rule.

You don't say what amplifier you are using but we can only assume that your system probably shouldn't be driving a four Ohm load. Make the connection from speaker to speaker by way of a series connection and you will raise the overall impedance to a level where it should be safe for almost any amplifier.

If you don't know the difference between a series and a parallel connection, place one or the other in a search engine and read what you find. With any luck you might have accidentally made a series connection and everything will be fine. But, if you made a parallel connection, I wouldn't turn anything on just yet.

Username: Slickmick

Post Number: 3
Thankyou for the Responses. Harsh...mmm maybe so. As for knowing anything about this stuff. Yes you are right, I have no knowledge and don't claim to have any. If if wasn't for a salesman in the local shop explaining 4 ohms vs 8ohms I would not have posted the question. Anyway, thankyou fot the response and I will search and hopefully be able to complete the series connection. Thnkyou again for the advice . MP

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 5180
Left channel. + from the receiver goes to + of speaker#1. - of speaker#1 goes to + of speaker#2. - of speaker #2 goes to - of receiver left channel.
Second verse same as the first.

Username: Covenant

Post Number: 1
Thanks to all for the posts ... I was going to ask the same thing. I have a stereo system that still suits my needs 37 years after I bought it ... a Pioneer 727 receiver with a pair of KLH 17s. Perhaps it has declined with age, but so has my hearing, so I don't notice!

Someone has given me a pair of KLH 19s, which I thought I might wire through the floor into my workshop ... of course they are 4 ohms, so I'll see if I can pick up an identical pair and wire 2 of them in series for each channel.

Thanks again for all the input here.

Blessings!

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 9743

The speakers do not have to be identical to make a series or parallel connection. Whichever speakers you choose, you simply double impedance at any frequency for a series connection and halve the lowest impedance for a parallel connection. Series will always double the impedance. Parallel will not be exactly half and typically falls somehwat lower but multiplying by 0.5 is close enough for your needs.

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us