Troubleshooting Technics SL-1200 M3D

Username: Pnutbutr

Post Number: 1
Just got a set of M3Ds off of Ebay, came with two mixers (Vestax PMC 05 PRO II & Gemini 767) - all of which were damaged during transit. Also came with slipmats, two flight cases (american DJ, which is why the 12s are damaged, as far as I'm concerned.. because they bang around inside there...) and 2 Ortofon Nightclub S cartridge w/extra styli complete in the red velvet boxes... (Guy packed horribly)... He said that it all worked wonderfully when he sent it and now there's problems. I asked for a full refund but in the event that he denies my request, I'm trying to figure out what I can do with these turntables to get some better sound out of them so that I won't feel like I'm just out $1150.

One of them sounds really static-y. Like there's SUPER bass... but it depends on the record I think. I tried a few different ones and the sound varied... interesting...
the other has very low/poor sound quality only on the right ear. The left ear is fine, sounds great.
The white RCA on the one w/the channel problems was a little tilted, straightened it out and it goes into the mixer fine...

I tried unplugging and replugging everything, including the ground wires.
Tried wiggling all the wires while connected and powered up to hear if there was any feedback or other issues. None.
I tried cleaning the contacts inside the tonearm as well as the end of the cartridge (with an eraser, also blew on it, also tried light wiping with a qtip) to no avail. It did improve a little bit but then goes back to the low quality sound.
I tried resetting the tone arm, anti-skid, and adjusting the counterweight.

I was reading some similar problems and maybe it's the RCA? I have done plenty of fishing around and found that it's not any of the mixers... I'm leaning more toward the tonearm? How do I know?
Anyone have any ideas or advice?
I'm so frustrated.
Anything would be great.

Thanks a lot.

Bronze Member
Username: Stevestar99

Dahlonega, GA

Post Number: 90
It's sounds like bad cartridges. Go buy yourself a cheap Pickering or Technics for test purposes. When I use to service TTs on a daily basis, it didn't matter if it was a $15 or $250 cartridge, they go bad. More than you would think.

Username: Pnutbutr

Post Number: 2
You know I thought the same too, so I tried both cartridges on the one table that's giving the most problems, and it goes in and out. So then I got to thinking that perhaps the tonearm was damaged somehow (was shipped in American DJ Flt cases... bounce around in there)... I don't understand... so a dj told me that he has the same thing happen to him and that a channel went out and told me to go find an adaptor (turn 1 rca plug into 2...) and put it to the mixer that way. So I did... and the Red rca cable is bad I guess... because w/the adaptor it sounds great. But new cartridges would be nice too, and styli. We'll have to wait til I get a few more dollars for that. Thanks for your time!

Username: Djoptic

NY, NY

Post Number: 1
Sounds like it's either your RCA's or Tonearm. No easy way to source the problem, other than to have it checked out.

If the sound comes back in when you rub the pencil eraser on the rear of the cartridge, then it sounds like the trouble is your tonearm, more so than your RCA's. It could also be both, unfortunately. Try spraying some contact spray in the tonearm such as CAIG's DEOX IT or similar (www.caig.com). Or you can clean out the tonearm with Isopropyl Alcohol, just make sute it's 99.9+ pure, otherwise you will corrode the contacts in the tonearm.

Right now your running your 1 turntable in mono, by splitting the left signal (white). I guess if it doesn't bother you, keep it that way. Otherwise, I would say get some free advice from a pro with the 1200s.... and that's http://www.1200s.com - I always call them up whenever I have questions about the 1200s, or any DJ gear. Their tech support line can't be beat, and it runs 24/7, plus it's free! You don't have to be a customer or anything, just tell them what sort of problems your having, and they'll tell you exactly what it would cost to repair, or what you could do in the meantime to fix it temp.

Good luck!

- DJ O

Username: Djoptic

NY, NY

Post Number: 2
Sounds like it's either your RCA's or Tonearm. No easy way to source the problem, other than to have it checked out.

If the sound comes back in when you rub the pencil eraser on the rear of the cartridge, then it sounds like the trouble is your tonearm, more so than your RCA's. It could also be both, unfortunately. Try spraying some contact spray in the tonearm such as CAIG's DEOX IT or similar (www.caig.com). Or you can clean out the tonearm with Isopropyl Alcohol, just make sute it's 99.9+ pure, otherwise you will corrode the contacts in the tonearm.

Right now your running your 1 turntable in mono, by splitting the left signal (white). I guess if it doesn't bother you, keep it that way. Otherwise, I would say get some free advice from a pro with the 1200s.... and that's http://www.1200s.com - I always call them up whenever I have questions about the 1200s, or any DJ gear. Their tech support line can't be beat, and it runs 24/7, plus it's free! You don't have to be a customer or anything, just tell them what sort of problems your having, and they'll tell you exactly what it would cost to repair, or what you could do in the meantime to fix it temp.

Good luck!

- DJ O
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us