Passive subwoofer wiring to a new reciever?

Username: Spirit80

Post Number: 1
I have a passive Klipsch subwoofer that I want to hook up to a new receiver. The new receivers today do not have a separate sub amp integrated into them. My question is what kind of amp can I buy to make this and active sub? The wattage rating of the sub is 120 watts. Is there a way to wire the sub off the left and right channels of the receiver? For example maybe use speaker B and wire + to + lefy and - to - Right. Thank you any information you can provide.

Silver Member
Username: Arande2

400dB could probably d..., 4000 isnt ev... 100,000dB FU...

Post Number: 542
What do you mean they don't have an amp in them? I wasn't aware that they ever came standard with one.

Well it would probably damage your receiver because it would lower the impedance, but anyway let's get on with it.

First of all you need to provide us with your budget so we can make a good recommendation.
Thanks.

Post Number: 2
I was refferring to a seperate subwoofer amp in the receiver to drive my passive amp. I would like to be under $100.00 otherwise I would probably just buy an active sub. Thank you for you help.

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 5121
Pat, you can get plate amps from www.partsexpress.com

And with 100 skins to play with, thats the way to go.

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 9563
And don't try your proposed wiring scheme or else you will be shopping for a new receiver for under $100. It would be fun to watch for the moment though. Do it in the dark where you can see the sparks. Maybe in a closet. But it takes forever to get that smell of burnt up electronic bits out of your room. If you try this, do it outside. At night. Better yet, do it at a friend's house. In their closet. At night. Don't expect to have a friend or a receiver afterwards though.

Good luck!

Post Number: 3
Nuck, thank you for the info.

Jan, what can I say. Thanks

Gold Member

Post Number: 5127
Happy New Year, Pat.

Good luck.

Gold Member
Username: Joe_c

Atlanta, GA USA

Post Number: 1200
Gawd dam that was some annoying crap, Andre quit that stupid stuff will ya, took me a cpl of mins to scroll through that crap!!

Silver Member
Username: Arande2

400dB could probably d..., 4000 isnt ev... 100,000dB FU...

Post Number: 555
Why would it take time to go through that? It's like what 1 foot?

Oh.....Slow Comp I see. Even my 10 year old comp. can handle that

Username: Wader

Post Number: 8
Oh, this is a great topic for me.

I have an old Advent Mini Sub-woofer, which is passive and designed for a series-style connection to L/R speakers.

However, my receiver offers the low level, RCA plug for controlling a sub-woofer channel. And, I would like to control the sub-woofer separately, via the receiver.

The receiver is a Denon 1906, which they rate up to 85W.

Questions, please:

Which plate amp I should get, power-wise (i.e., I see 25W, 70W, 100W and up)?

Are these plate amps installed directly onto the Advent's cabinet, hooked up to the internal wiring as a replacement for the existing Amplifier/Speaker wire connectors I use today? Thus, it could run simply from the receiver's sub signal over the RCA and not have a series connection to my front L/R speakers?

Post Number: 9
My own followup:

I chatted with a Parts Express service representative today and heard that 70W on up for this smaller sub-woofer should be fine for my application. Very helpful person, BTW.

Further, my wiring query was answered positively.

Now, to see how I could fit this plate amplifier to the enclosure . . . it appears to be a tight fit, if possible.

Gold Member

Post Number: 5887
Wade, I fit a bash amp into an old case from a casette player a while ago, just to stack with the other componants. Although the wire runs were longer than perfect,the signal runs were shorter, and cheaper.
The plate amp could go somewhere other than on the sub itself?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 12
Nuck, I just happened to see this yesterday:

http://www.io.com/~patman/ampbox.html

and it seems directly in line with your helpful suggestion.

It's a neat idea, and will be the way I need to go (i.e., even their 70W plate amp is a little deep for how this sub-woofer is tightly constructed inside).

Instead of MDF, I can probably use some of my spare 3/4" interior-grade plywood.

Guess this means I run a RCA signal wire from the receiver's Sub Out to the boxed plate amp. Though, how do you typically wire the plate amp to the existing passive sub?

Would I simply use speaker wire from amp to sub, as if those channels were coming straight from the receiver? This would seem to avoid the need for to the amp's board from the sub's internals, as in the case of mounting directly to the sub's enclosure.

Gold Member

Post Number: 5910
Wade, did the instructions not come along?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 14
Ah, I am just ordering now, actually.

Looking at their website, the back of the plate amp board provides red (positive) and black (negative) leads for hooking up to the sub-woofer drivers. Connections on the plate amp's out-facing side are for low-level and high-level signals, plus the power cord.

Wires for the sub's drivers are currently soldered to a board inside the enclosure, which then exposes speaker wire connectors for usual, series connection of the receiver's speaker outputs to the passive sub and out to L/R mains.

So, placing the plate amp directly on the sub-woofer's enclosure would generally require:

- Removing the existing speaker connection board from the passive enclosure and cutting the sub driver wires from the board.

- Connecting the new plate amp's red and black wires to the respective sub -/+ driver wires.

- Securing the plate amp body to the sub enclosure, which will essentially replace the old speaker connector with new ones, while adding a low-level signal input for my new A/V receiver, with crossover and phase controls, etc.

But, in using a separate enclosure for the plate amp, I'm wondering how to connect those red+black wires.

To that end, I was wondering if I could go straight across the external speaker connectors on both the plate amp box and passive sub. Doubted it, though.

So, my guess was to create an insulated channel between the plate amp enclosure and passive sub enclosure for connecting the amp's red+black wires to the sub's drivers, directly.

I hope that paints an understandable picture for my query. Just preparing for what I need to build. And, I don't want to destroy anything when eventually turning the power on!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 17
As a followup to my above posts, I weighed the notion of purchasing and building a new enclosure for a plate amplifier . . . but, decided that the Velodyne VX-10 cost and sound would actually trump an upgrade to my lowly Advent Mini Subwoofer.

Still, the discussion here was interesting and informative - thanks.

Gold Member

Post Number: 5980
Keep it up Wade, stick around if you like.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us