Yet another request for a receiver recommendation

Username: Orpheusboy61

Post Number: 1
I've been digging through the mountains of information available online to help me determine the best HT/Stereo configuration for our new home, and I'm reaching the end of the research phase. I could use a little help from this forum's members to help me determine what receiver to audition/purchase. I'm a bit new at this, so please forgive any misuse of terms or faulty assumptions. I welcome your comments, feedback and constructive criticism.

Starting requirements/information:
1. System used more or less evenly for music and movies
2. Movies will be viewed in our 3-walled family room that spills over into the kitchen & nook area; music will be listened to in all 3 spaces mentioned; overall room dimensions are roughly 20' wide, 50' long, with 8' ceilings
3. My wife & I both are willing to sacrifice some HT performance to avoid:
- running speaker wires to satellite speakers
- for that matter, even having to install said satellite speakers
- rearranging any of the furniture in the family room (couch & chairs are placed off-center from optimal HT viewing/listening area
4. Multi-zone/speaker capability
5. HDMI (1080i or 1080p) up-conversion is a big-plus, but not a hard necessity
6. Budget for receiver, up to $1500
7. This may be stating the obvious: must meet the WAF
8. These are the speakers we're considering:
- A Channel (movies/TV) : Polk Audio Surroundbar for HT audio in Family Room
- B Channel (CDs, radio, XM, etc.): Bookshelfs, Emmas or Wharfdale 9.2; additionally, my wife has asked about having ceiling mounted speakers in the kitchen to augment our enjoyment of music in that area; this has not been firmly decided, as I suspect the right choice of stereo speakers could render that need moot.

Now, in anticipation that some may object to the selection of the Surroundbar, this is the only HT setup, other than the Yamaha YSP series, that (currently) meets with my wife's approval; that said I'd like to choose a receiver that will enable me to upgrade the HT speaker setup at some point in the future.

Considering all the above, here are the receivers currently under consideration:
1. NAD 763
2. Marantz SR7001
3. Outlaw 1070

What say you to the above?

We would also consider H/K AVR series, Denon or other brands (model recommendation?)

Thanks in advance, and a Happy New Year to all.

Silver Member
Username: Arande2

400dB could probably d..., 4000 isnt ev... 100,000dB FU...

Post Number: 534
Well, I'm not too knowledgable on actual receivers, but I can say with the right stuff(RadioShack Sound Level Meter) you can tune your system to make it sound a lot better and more realistic than it would otherwise be if you just set it down there.

Otherwise, I have never heard any of those receivers. I've only heard Rotel and Pioneer Elite, which I'm very impressed with, but I haven't heard the others, so I don't know.

Silver Member
Username: Hawk

Highlands Ranch, CO USA

Post Number: 999
Mark:

You present a lot of questions. I have some good news and some bad news and I have a few solid recommendations that I think you will really like.

Initially, let me suggest the three receivers you have under consideration are the three that would be at the top of my list, and in that order. The NAD is the most powerful (note I said most powerful--do not make the mistake of comparing "watts" as that spec is the most manipulated spec ever. Fact is, the NAD has the best and most powerful power supply, and the Marantz is second). There are very few other brands I will recommend (due to the lousy power supplies in the mass market brands). I had a Denon before I got my current HT receiver, and I got rid of it within 6 months as it was gutless. You have a very large room and you are going to need real power, not the phony power of most brands. I do like H/K, but it's sound is rather dark and I only recommend H/K with very bright speakers.

Whichever receiver you get, make sure that it is in a well ventilated location. Too many people treat HT receivers the way they treat stereo receivers despite the fact that HT receivers have five or more channels, which means 150% more heat than a stereo receiver (minimum--200% at least if you have a six channel amp). A lot of people come on this board to complain about their HT receiver developing a problem and many times it is because it is in a closed cabinet without proper ventilation, so it gets fried.

As far as HDMI is concerned, please drop that as a consideration. It is a "pig in a poke" as the saying goes. I hear the boos and hisses now, but the fact remains that HDMI standard changes every six months. When they finally settle on a true standard, we will really have something, but as it stands right now, there are HDMI 1.0, 1.1, 1.1A, and 1.2 currently out there and now 1.3 has been adopted. Just last week, I read an article on CNET that confirmed my beliefs, that anyone who buys an HDMI equipped unit today (TV or Receiver), will end up with something that is incompatible with where we are going. I am optimistic that the newest standard, 1.3, will stick, but there is nothing out there with 1.3 installed (it was just adopted last August). 1.3 uses a different size plug, with extra leads, so adapters are problematic, at best. Thus, buying a unit to get HDMI will be buying a dead technology today that has already be superseded.

Now, with your size room, may I assume the front wall (the viewing wall) is solid; that is, where you can install in-wall speakers? If so, I have a superb solution that I wanted to use myself, but could not accomodate as my front wall was too broken up (fireplace and cabinets).

Check out the Monitor Audio website here:

http://www.monitoraudio.co.uk/range.php?application=0

I was astounded by the quality sound available from their Custom Sound line of in-walls, especially the Gold In-walls. What makes these speakers special is that they do have stand alone speaker quality sound, but unlike almost any other built ins, they have a back box. This not only damps the resonances within the walls, it makes the sound emanating from the speaker predictable--they sound the same in any given wall as the volume behind the speakers drivers does not vary. In essence, they are a typical box speaker, but the box fits into the wall and can be painted to be totally invisible. My wife loved the idea when she saw it. You can easily put three of these across the front and get a couple of the MA in-ceiling speakers for your back speakers. Mounted in the ceiling of your HT(which works well with an 8' ceiling), they would also never be seen and would give you the flexibility to install them where they would work best, but no speaker wire would ever be exposed. You would merely have the wiring go from all of the speakers go through the walls, floor, or ceiling, as needed, to terminate at a single location, often called the "home run" where your receiver is located. Mine is behind my TV where it doesn't show and short speaker cables from my receiver run directly to a wall plate with five way binding posts mounted on the wall plate for the connection. This solution would obviate the need for different speakers for music and home theater.

I hope this helps. Good luck!

Silver Member

400dB could probably d..., 4000 isnt ev... 100,000dB FU...

Post Number: 538
They also make in-ceiling subwoofers that look like an air conditioning vent in the ceiling

I thought of that when I was like 6 though so it really isn't the newest thing.

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 3756
If you are considering NAD, wait amd buy the "4" series rather than the 763. As for Marantz be sure to give the SR7001 a listen as MArantz has recently changed the sound of some of their products, and not for the better. Their integrated is a good example.

Gold Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 1770
Mark,

All solutions such as the YSP-1, Polk SurroundBar and M&K MP4512 depend on the side and rear walls for reflections to provide the surround information. Your room is very large indeed and only 3-walled so you will find it very difficult to setup the system to provide you with even a half decent imitation of surround.

In my opinion, you would be better off with a higher quality 2-channel solution. You would need a decent DVD source since the player wil be doing internal downmix of the 7 channels to 2 channels. You would have to have a good stereo amplifier, and a pair of decent quality floorstanding speakers in order for them to drive the volume of that room. Properly setup with attention to detail such as correct positioning and caling, the stereo system is likely to provide you with a far better result since it will drive the room better and provide better quality in the process since the main components will be dedicated to just the 2 channels.

Regards,
Frank.

Post Number: 2
Thanks to each of you for your replies. All good stuff to consider.

Hawk, I've talked to my wife about the inwall/ceiling speakers, and she's okay with the concept. Now I need to go give the Monitor Audio speaker an in-store audition. I was trying to avoid stringing wires and cutting holes in sheetrock, but it may be worthwhile if the sound experience is that much improved.

Art, would you please expand on your comment about NAD 4 Series. Is this the Masters Series, or is it a new product line to be released?

A follow up question:
- I've been reading that a 5.1 setup is more practical than a 7.1 setup, for a number of reasons, most of which I'm sure are familiar to all of you. All the receivers I've listed are 7.1 systems, and if I'm going to install speakers in the wall and ceiling, then I want to get this right. Thoughts?

Platinum Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 12185
The 7.1 system receivers that you listed are also capable of 5.1. You can turn off the 7.1 feature at will. It is there should you want it or if the movie makers decide to format their video release in actual 7.1 :-)

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 3762
No Mark it's not the Masters series it's simply the updated 743, 753, 763 and so on. They have been updated and improved significantly especially with regards to noise floor with the new 744, 754 and so on. I owned the 763 and had some issues with hum and hiss as have many folks. I have been assured by a friend of mine who is an NAD dealer that NAD has rectified that issue completely with the new models.

Post Number: 3
Art, thanks for the clarification.

Username: Dalec

CA

Post Number: 2
Hawk Quote
- I had a Denon before I got my current HT receiver, and I got rid of it within 6 months as it was gutless.

Hawk - I'm curious, what model of Denon did you have that was so gutless?

DaleC

Gold Member

Highlands Ranch, CO USA

Post Number: 1019
Dale:

The 3803, purchased in 2003. Since I use my system for music as much as HT, I was devastated to get my receiver home and find the music was just lifeless and un-involving. I actually stopped listening to my music entirely while I had it. It was fine for HT, but on music it simply had no life to the sound.

Username: Tcwjonny

Post Number: 6
I'm also in the market for a HT setup in my new home and recently went to a store that demoed a NAD 753 with some B&W's. I was originally thinking that I was going to go with some life style speakers in the front (droped down from the ceiling) but after hearing the towers I'm definitely going that direction now for the fronts. The sound was so much fuller it wasn't even close. The rears are going to be in ceiling and sounded fine for my uses. To me it all sounded great and I'm ready to buy soon. However I've read some posts here that tell of humming on the NAD's. Hawk, you seem pretty familiar with them is this something I should be concerned with? Also, I liked the B&W's but would be open to other recommendations if you have any.

Username: Dalec

CA

Post Number: 7
My experience with Denon products has been very good and more recently I purchased a Denon 4306 receiver. I my research of the market place that receiver consistently came back with extremely high marks and certainly more that met my needs for what I wanted to do. It's been a couple of months now and absolutely no regrets, just have a few more thinks I want to utilize on the setup this receiver allows me to do both in my immediate HT area and another zone. You can find some great buys on the 4306 and for the money I haven't seen another receiver that has perked my interests or caused me to wish I had done it differently.

Dale

Gold Member

Highlands Ranch, CO USA

Post Number: 1040
Marcus:

There is no question in my mind that NAD is the best sounding receiver under $1K--that's why I bought it. The sound is closer to good separates than the typical "receiver sound" one usually hears.

I have read these posts about a hum problem, yet I have had an NAD 753 for over three years, and I have never had such a problem. We have also had other brands report similar problems, but not to the extent that we have heard about NADs having such a problem. I have seen a number of people opine about what causes a hum, yet no specific explanation has ever been determined. The only explanation I have is that everyone merely assumes that the electricity they use is good--in some areas it's not. I used to be a trial lawyer, and about 14 years ago, I was involved in a major lawsuit against the City of Los Angeles Department of Water and Power. What I learned about electrical systems will make you swear off using electricity altogether. Suffice to say that the power generated is often very dirty, with a lot of spurious noise that can and often does damage electrical equipment. Most large manufacturing companies do not buy their power, but generate their own precisely because of this problem. For the past year I have used a power filter, which can be found for a little over $100 at a lot of places, and I have no problems since getting them. In my case, I had a problem that wasn't caused by the electrical company, but it is from other sources. About a year ago, I had a neighbor start using his table saw (amateur carpenter), and the display on my NAD went bad. I also have a Sony tv that developed funny bands along the top of the screen as it got fried at the same time. Subsequently, I put line filters on and have had no further problem. My first one was an AR brand surge suppressor strip with line filtering that I got at Best Buy for about $40. I have since put a Monster Power HTS-3500 on my HT system. I paid about $120 for that one.

BTW, I think the B+Ws make a superb combo with the NAD. Which B+Ws are you looking at?

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 3804
Yes Marcus you should be concerned. I owned the 763 and it hummed like crazy and I wound up taking it back. I might add that I was one of the biggest NAD supporters here at this site until then. I know 2 dealers personally and they both admit to the problem. They differ on whether it was cleared up by the end of the **3 run. The dealer who is himself an authorized service rep stated that it was not consistently cleared up. He does however stste that the **4 (744,754, etc) does not have the issue and that it's best to go with that series.

Silver Member
Username: Bill984

Post Number: 198
my wife hates speakers too. so, we bought the yamaha ysp-1100 for the family room/kitchen area. got rid of my reciever and speakers, sounds great. only drawback is no radio. cd'd and dvds sound great as well as digital audio from cable. check it out.

Post Number: 7
Thanks for everyone's comments. Hawk I was looking at the DM 602 5's, LCR-60 center, ASW-600 sub and CCM-65's for the rear. I was probably going to get the 744 or 754 NAD anyway so that's good to hear that the alleged hum is reduced. I definitely need to get a power filter as I'll have quite a bit of expensive electronics hooked up now (plasma TV, XBox 360 etc...) You think Monster is the best way to go? They always seemed over priced to me.

Silver Member

400dB could probably d..., SouthWest Mi... Too Many DBs...

Post Number: 838
I like Panamax.

Silver Member
Username: Bill984

Post Number: 199
monster 3500 power filters, i bought a brand new one on e bay for 117 and a factory refurbished for 120.

Gold Member
Username: Touche6784

USA

Post Number: 1161
panamax all the way. first company to develop the surge protector i believe. monster is over priced garbage.

Gold Member
Username: My_rantz

Australia

Post Number: 1053
Marcus, be sure to compare the 602.5 to others as it doesn't have a great rep compared to the others in the 600 line. It's really just a 601 in a bigger box and from many accounts, I'm told, it doesn't really cut it. Even my dealer admits to find them hard to sell. Compare the specs to the 602S3 for example. I know we all have different ears and those may suit you fine. Just letting you know what I was told.

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 1561
With the exception of the newest products, Panamax and Monster are the same thing. Panamax was bought out by Monster a few years back. They were still designed and manufactured by the same people, the only difference being appearance. A trustworthy dealer informed me of this a while back. He was anti-Monster, and it surprised me when I walked in and saw the Monster power conditioners that replaced his Panamax stock.

Panamax may recently have bought back their name, or sold the name to someone else whose sole connection to the original Panamax company is the name itself.

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 5324
A rose, by any other name?

Gold Member

Post Number: 5325
Or by any other Naim?

Gold Member

Highlands Ranch, CO USA

Post Number: 1044
Marcus:

Those speakers are very good and work well with the NAD receivers. However, if you can stretch a bit, get the LCR-600 rather than the '60. It is a much better center speaker, and is a better match for the 602.5s.

As for surge suppressors/line filters, it is my experience that "more is not necessarily more." Whether you go with Monster, Panamax, Tripp-lite, or any other of the numerous brands out there, a basic line filter typically will give you 95% of the line filtering available. Going higher in the product line only gives the most marginal of improvements and I really don't believe it is worth the money to spend more. Here are a few good deals on filters I have found:

http://www.accessories4less.com/cgi-bin/item/MCHTS3500MKII

http://hcmaudio.com/comp.asp?compID=809

http://www.hififorless.com/showProduct.php?productid=70244

Post Number: 8
Thanks for the links Hawk. That refurbished Monster unit seemed like a good deal so I picked it up. Thanks for the heads up about the center speaker I'll go with that one instead. Any thoughts on whether or not the 744 will be enough power or should I get the 754?

Starting to get excited. I think I'll go to the store tonight and order the speakers and receiver.

Gold Member

Post Number: 5342
Marcus, keep your head, man. This is the point where we all overpay, or at least overdoit.

Those Nad units will both serve you well, no cheapo shite there, at all.

Keep your wits about you and BARGAIN! There is a bit to be had, don't fall for the cable throw-ins, you still need proper interconnects for the kit!

And somewhere, I missed your source cd player.

Piggy bank may be geting hammer-time!

Have a good time!

Gold Member

Australia

Post Number: 1059
Marcus, while the B&W's are fairly efficient speakers, they do thrive on amps with reserves of power. If you can stretch it, got for the 754 - it may also prove beneficial if you do any upgrades later. And I agree with Hawk about the LCR600.

Gold Member

Highlands Ranch, CO USA

Post Number: 1048
This is where I do my Tim Allen routine and scream----MORE POWER, MORE POWER!!!!!!

The 744 is certainly good enough, but M.R. is right about the B+Ws. They really do thrive on power. I think you will find this system will really sing.

As for the line conditioner, I bought the same unit and it has been great. The sound seems much smoother. Happy to help.

Gold Member
Username: Joe_c

Atlanta, GA USA

Post Number: 1311
Glad to see other audio/videophiles agree with my tastes. I have the same hts3500 and also a 2600 mkII that I use for the 2channel. I feel that they are great value (if you buy them from that sort of online retailer) and work like a charm. The only other one I would like to upgrade to someday is this:http://www.psaudio.com/cart/ProductDisplay.asp?productID=112

but I'm not ready to fork 2k over. If I'm gonna spend that kind of money I think I will get the dvdo vp30 first.

Post Number: 9
Sounds like I'll go with the 754 then. If I'm spending this much might as well do it right.

As far as CD players go right now I just have an XBox 360 (I know I know don't shoot me, right now I have no receiver and am just using the TV speakers so it doesn't matter), but I've been eyeing a Denon DVD player he had in the store. Don't remember the model number but it cost about $850. I've heard the Oppo DV-981HD has a really good scalar in it for movies but I'm not sure about the CD quality (about $250 I think). I hate to spend $850 on a DVD player when the industry seems to be moving to either download or HD (I give a big pass on both HD-DVD and BluRay BTW)...but my current solution seems to be subpar. I've actually heard the DVD player in a PS 2 is quite good for CD's. I don't have one though so I can't test it. Anyway, CD player is still an open topic...any suggestions?

BTW, sorry to hijack the thread Mark.

Gold Member

Australia

Post Number: 1063
The NAD C542 is the obvious choice with the NAD receiver and B&W's. I have it with my NAD stereo gear and 602's and it sounds simply marvellous. Especially with good interconnects.

Gold Member

Post Number: 5366
Marcus, the DVD player in the game system is fully sufficient. If you want good sound, get a cd player.

Gold Member

Highlands Ranch, CO USA

Post Number: 1051
Marcus:

I am not sure if you want a cd player or a dvd player. As always, here are my thoughts, freely given:

1. I would not spend $850 on a dvd player right now. That is most certainly a "universal player" which means it does DVDs, CDs, SuperAudio CDs (SACD), and DVD-Audio (DVD-As) which is music encoded on a DVD format. But, it does not do the new HD-DVDs, either DVD-HD or Blu-Ray, and it remains to be seen 5 years later if either SACD or DVD-A formats will catch on, or if they will die just like HDCD (High Definition CDs), which is still supported by only Rotel and NAD, last time I looked. You are correct that those new hi def formats are coming, and spending high dollars on the older format does not seem to make much sense.

2. If you want a dedicated CD player, I agree with M.R. that the NAD C542 is a superb player (MSRP: $499). However, with the hot new DACS in the T754 receiver, you may just want to get the NAD C521bee player (MSRP: $299) and use a digital connection (either digital coax or optical) to the receiver. If you use a digital connection to the receiver, this off-loads the digital to analog conversion of the sound to the receiver, making the player into a transport, so a more expensive player is largely unnecessary. I do that with my T753 and the results are quite good. From what I am told the DACS in the T754 are even better than the ones in my T753. The street price for the 521bee is about $240 (available from either Kief's or Saturday Audio).

3. If you want a player that plays both the DVDs and the CDs, you can employ the same strategy for a DVD player and get the same sonic result. NAD offers two excellent DVD players, the T514 (MSRP: $299), and the T534 (MSRP: $499)--the primary difference is that the 534 will play DVD-As while the 514 does not. In my case, for instance, I have a Sony DVD/SACD player I have had for five years. I connected the Sony to my NAD receiver with both a digital coax and an optical cable. The Digital coax was assigned to "CD Player" and the optical was assigned to "DVD Player." Either way, the receiver is processing the sound, not the player. Thus, if you want to get a new player for both DVDs and CDs, you can spend under $250 (street price) for the T514 and still get a very good player that I am sure will sound great with your new receiver and speakers.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 3809
Unless you are sure you will stay with your receiver for the life of the cd player I would not count on the DAC's in receiver but instead by a cd player good enough to stand on it's own and the C542 is certainly that. You could still then buy a good quality DVD player, one that has the the capability to be a top notch video play like the Oppo. I have a friend who is an NAD dealer and also sells the Oppo's and he has been clear in stating that the Oppo's video performance is head and shoulders better than the NAD's and the the audio is just a hair below in performance, he even qualified that by stating that the NAD audio is connected directly to the receiver and the Oppo is not all things being even who knows. I only briefly watched it on his 65 inch HP (Hewlett Packard) DLP and was quite impressed.

Post Number: 10
Just wanted to give everyone a quick update. I bought the NAD 754, and I bought the 603's instead of the 602.5's. I figured that these are the speakers I'd like to stick with for a while so I might as well get what I want. I hooked it all up and it sounds great. I just installed the rear in-ceiling speakers tonight and it turned out perfect. Very satisfied. Thank you everyone for all your input. I very much enjoyed the forums here. I plan on checking in often to see if I can pick up some tips on how to tweak all this stuff. It's a whole new world.

Gold Member

Australia

Post Number: 1074
Congrats Marcus - You're in for lots of pleasure.

Great stuff!

Username: Nospam22222

Post Number: 1
Have been a faithful NAD user for two decades. Never had a problem. Now have a 742 and have never had a hum issue. Simply the best for the money out there.

Pair them with PSB speakers and you can have a system that sounds as good as high end for half the price.

My father had a $75,000 system complete with Levinson, Martin Logan, etc. Yes, of course, it sounded better, but for my budget not that much better.

Two tips. The cheapest thing you can do to improve your sound is to buy Hospital Grade outlets. You can find them on the net for about $20. Some places try to sell you so-called "high grade" outlets, but speaking as someone who used to do wiring there really is no difference.

As for cable there is a lot of BS out there. Wire is wire other than the gauge and whether solid or bundled. Several sites plus some of the audiophile magazines have run comparison tests of standard wire you can buy at Home Depot or Lowe's with the high end stuff. Home Depot actually beat out almost all the big time folks. Right now I am running stranded #10 (hard to find if you are not an electrician) and it is great. I actually tried solid #10 and it was very good, but it is also very stiff. TAS just bought Home Depot extension cords and cut the ends off. It is stranded #12.

Happy listening!

Gold Member

Post Number: 7206
Uh huh.
So long as the 'hospital grade' outlets are used.
I hard wire mine, zero outlets beat 'medical grade'.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us