Multiple rooms of speakers

Username: Ciner00

Post Number: 1
Hey guys,

Thanks for this great resource. I had a question about an amplifier. I'm new to all this.

Basically we have a 7.1 setup in our living room. Also in our bedroom we have 2 ceiling speakers and then in our guest room we have 2 ceiling speakers. The speaker wires are all run to living room though so I would like to have an amp in the living room that can be used to play everything at once, or play just one specific room if preferred.

Anyone know if this is possible? Basically an amp that I could turn on a specific two speakers (in our bedroom for example) and also in the guest room maybe... but leave the living room 7.1 speakers off. Does this kind of amp exist? Thanks in advance for your time

Gold Member
Username: Joe_c

Atlanta, GA USA

Post Number: 1183
What's your budget?

Post Number: 2
pretty good, saved awhile to get this setup right. shoot me the best solution to the problem regardless of price, and then if there is a less costly solution i'd be interested also :-)

Gold Member
Username: Joe_c

Atlanta, GA USA

Post Number: 1185
Denon 5805.

Or a lesser 7.1 reciever with second and third zones and possibly another amp to power those zones.

Post Number: 3
damn! looks pretty nice but so many inputs i'll never use seems a waste of 5 grand. what would be a good next step down with 3 zones and 7.1?

Post Number: 4
is there even any other 3 zone receivers out there? i found a denon 2 zone one that is affordable and hell but really need 3 zone. does not seem like many receivers offer it

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 9543

If you're only running ceiling speakers, buy an inexpensive separate system for the two alternate rooms and swap the home run speaker wire for interconnect. Run an interconnect from the tape monitor output of the main receiver to the tape input of the two separate systems.

Gold Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 1779
I don't know of any 3-zone surround receivers. Another cheap way of skinning this cat is to buy a 2 zone receiver and have the second zone feed into a speaker switch. The 2nd zone is going into lower quality ceiling speakers (whether 1st or 2nd bedroom), so although the speaker switch is a lower quality alternative it won't be so bad that you wouldn't play it.

This solution would give ou 5.1 in the main surround room and a choice of 2nd zone music playing.

Regards,
Frank.

Gold Member
Username: Hawk

Highlands Ranch, CO USA

Post Number: 1008
jon:

If I understand what you are trying to do, the answer is yes, you can do it. You can run your remote speakers off of the "B" speaker selection of your HT pre/pro, and turning off the "A" speakers (the 7.1 speaker system). Now, I assume you have pre-outs for the "B" speakers, from which you run the signal to a remote multi-channel amp. Here is an excellent six channel amp (meant to provide stereo sound to three different locations) that can be used to power these remote rooms, such as your bedroom and the guest bedroom:

http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=NACI9060

I also know Rotel has a six channel amp called the RMB-1066, I think, that can be used the same way.

I hope this helps.

Post Number: 5
thanks very much, i appreciate all the feedback.

it does seem like a speaker splitter is the best way to go off the B channel. are there any receivers below $1500 that could handle 7.1 as well as a B channel output at the same time, or is that just not done affordably?

when you use the B channel are you able to send a different input to those speakers, such as a CD player. while still watching a DVD or something on the 5.1 in the living room?

I guess 5.1 would be fine if it was easy to turn B channel off and on so I could use 7.1 in living room. is it difficult to swap B channel on and off with a remote maybe?

also wondering if there are any powered speaker splitters so i could use a remote to turn it on quick and easy instead of having to go do it manually at device.

thanks so much for the responses guys, i'm pretty clueless :-(

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 9575

I would suggest anyone who is "clueless" should be working with a good retailer. It's much easier to understand your options when you can sit down with a human being and work through the various cost/benefits of the available equipment.

By "speaker splitter" I assume you mean a speaker distribution switch box. There are many to choose from and which you pick will depend upon the needs of the system (the cumulative impedance load of the speakers, the load protection provided to the amplifier and flexibility of the system) and your desires both present and, possibly, future. The cost can run from a few hundred dollars to well over $1k depending on the factors mentioned above.

There are HT receivers which provide 7.1 and "B" speaker outputs. I would first decide on the importance of 7.1 vs. 5.1. In many rooms there won't be much, if any, difference in sound quality.

Two or three zone operation allows you to send different sources to different rooms (zones) simultaneously. "B" speaker switching only allows the same source to be sent to all locations at once. If you want DVD in one room and CD in another, you need a second zone - at least. Each zone you buy on the main receiver/pre amp allows anothre source/room to be isolated from the rest.

There are remote switches which allow the operation of the system from one or multiple locations. They also run in cost from fairly inexpensive to quite elaborate and quite expensive depending upon your system. You will have to run additional cabling for such remote systems if you want real dependability from the remotes. If you go that route, you can get as much flexibilty as your wallet will allow and buying as much expandability in the system would be recommended. There are also simple radio frequency (UHF) repeater systems which allow lower cost and less flexibility which you might find suit your needs.

I have to repeat, a good dealer/installer can answer all these questions and provide examples of the various options. Most dealers have working rooms to demonstrate some sort of remote system in oder to give clients a better idea of what they might need/want. Most installers who don't work out of a showroom can arrange an audition with a previous client to show off their work and demonstrate their wares. Get some recommendations and check with the BBB before you hand over any cash. Any retailer/installer is likely to have one or two people who were dissatisfied with the final product. It's difficult to explain fully what some systems can do and people often buy the wrong system for their needs and don't understand the operation of the more advanced systems. You should take each account into consideration before choosing a person who will very likely be putting holes in your walls. Sloppy or incomplete workmanship is something I would consider a knock out for almost anyone unless they proved otherwise. If you allow someone to install a system in your house, get lots of paperwork and guarantees of satisfaction before final payment is made. Accept that you might be someone who is clueless and buys the wrong system.

http://www.xantech.com/

http://www.inwallstore.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=i&Categ ory_Code=_info

http://www.hometech.com/audio/

http://www.inwallstore.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=i&Categ ory_Code=impedance

http://hometheater.about.com/od/beforeyoubuy/l/bltips.htm

http://www.prillaman.net/ht_info_8-wiring.html

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us