The right subwoofer.

Silver Member
Username: Arande2

400dB could probably d..., 4000 isnt ev... 100,000dB FU...

Post Number: 413
I've posted about this before but I haven't really made it clear what I'm looking for. I'm going to make it clear so maybe I can get a better recommendation of a sub geared more toward my system!

Ok here's what my system right now is capable of. The mains I've measured a response down to 32hz -3dB. The center that I use I've measured response down to 27hz -3 dB. The surrounds I use I've measured response down to ~50hz -3dB. The surround back is the same as the center channel. I'm going to be watching music videos a lot of the time and listening to music(like 70%).

For home theater I usually watch movies like Walk the Line, Van Helsing, Back to the Future, etc. My uncle builds and sells organs so I get a lot of dvd's of organ concerts and whatnot. My relatives are always watching movies that are on TV if that helps. I usually play a lot of video games that always seem to be missing impact during the most intense parts.

My computer is also hooked into the system so I also play online games and computer games, but of course online games don't usually have much low frequency content.

My ideal subwoofer is one that is low distortion and can pump out the POWER when required(especially at LOW frequencies). I plan to run it crossed over at 30hz from the mains and centers and let the 50hz and below from the surrounds go to the mains and centers so the sub only handles the deepest frequencies.

I don't want to spend too much over $3000 so thanks for your suggestions! I hope that's enough info for you to make a good recommendation.

I'm personally taking a look at the MartinLogan Descent and B&W Asw-855. I've been impressed by both of those for the music and movies I brought to test them with. I also played a 30hz, 25hz, 20hz, and 17hz tone on both of them and they both handled those frequencies well and could pump out pretty good dB at 17hz.

Thanks for your recommendations!

Upload
Upload

Silver Member

Post Number: 417
I forgot the Descent i which is now what replaces the Descent! Just check out the MartinLogan website to take a look at it. It now takes the place of the Descent.

www.martinlogan.com

Silver Member

Post Number: 423
Oh yeah! I probably should've told you that I get all these particular brands half price since my brother works at our local high-end audio store.
Here are the brands:
MartinLogan, B&W, Paradigm, all models.
Pioneer Elite, Rotel, there's lots of other stuff, but I only listed the stuff that I usually look at.
They also carry all Straightwire cables(I can get most of them for free).

So I hope that helps since I'm actually spending half the retail of these subs I'm mentioning if I buy them. If I can get any subs that are better than the subs I can get from those 3 speaker brands at $1700 or less then let me know!

Thanks in advance.

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 5056
Band gear is good sometimes, Andre.
I had a pair of Marsland 110OZ RG 15" bass amp drivers in oak cab's that really pounded with a rat shack 50w receiver, then buddy brought over a 1972 Gold series Marantz, and loosened every screw holding up every plate.
The lady of the house was unamused.
I laughed my head off.

Silver Member

Post Number: 441
Lol.

Silver Member

Post Number: 443
What what?

Silver Member

Post Number: 444
Oh yeah, I also plan to use it in either a 20x10' room or a 10x12' room. The larger room opens into a 20x30 room, which I'll more likely use it in.

Gold Member

Post Number: 5058
Oh yeah, you want fries with that?

Silver Member

Post Number: 447
Curly fries, yeah.

Silver Member
Username: James_the_god

Doncaster, South Yorkshire England

Post Number: 351
I think Nuck charges £1.10 for some fries. You get a free subwoofer with them too. Nuck will fill you in.

If it was up to me, the lower pic, i think the logan? looks sweeter.

Silver Member

Post Number: 453
It's also a lot smaller! But it's output is equal to a single 18" driver. Here are some pics of MartinLogan's new subwoofer. It's the Descent, but it's the improved version.

Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
It goes to eleven!
Upload
Upload

Silver Member

Post Number: 454
I think it looks cool, and all that.

Bronze Member
Username: Muttly

St. Paul, MN America

Post Number: 13
looks are everything

Silver Member

Post Number: 504
It may have 250 watts less power, but it's drivers are equal to a larger driver than the B&W, plus it looks cool...And it will have tighter and more quality bass for music. It also has a contour control at 25 AND 50hz so it will be good for both movies and music.

Silver Member

Post Number: 526
Nuck, you haven't filled me in on that yet.

Gold Member

Post Number: 5082
On what?

Silver Member

Post Number: 527
Fries with a free subwoofer for 1.10

Silver Member

Post Number: 536
I think I'm going to go take a listen this week since they said they'll be getting it in. Maybe I should wait so they can break it in.

Silver Member

Post Number: 559
I liked the Seismic 10 a lot after listening on my extension, volume, and integration test cd, so I've opted for that. I also was pulled towards it since my brother is the manager at the place I went, so he was able to get me a great deal ($443 instead of $1650). We also don't have to pay tax and we still get the warranty. I'm going to take home the showroom model (which I tested extensively), which also only arrived yesterday, so there's that benefit (it's new). If I waited, they wouldn't get a new one in for 2 months. I think it's a better idea also since I've already tested it and confirmed that it works well. It should even get better over time.

Do you guys think this a good buy for $443? Also, I wondered if I should get a good line protector that I can just stick on the outlet I plug the sub into, just to protect the sub from surges and to keep it lasting longer. Hopefully I've provided enough info for you to help me out. Oh yeah, I also brought along an SPL meter to see how loud the sub was getting (it was definitely hurting my ears) when I cranked the song I was playing. I was happy to find that on the 120 dB setting of the meter the sub could peak and the needle caught the peak at 123dB in the large showroom about 3 meters away. The bass contour is also a nice feature. Maybe I'll opt for a much nicer subwoofer 20 years down the road, when I'm like 34. I also recently checked by our pro audio store and they seemed impressed by my knowledge when they asked me questions, so I have a feeling I'll be getting a job there in a few years.

Well, ultimately I want to know if the Seismic 10 is a good deal for $443. Thanks for your response.

Silver Member

Post Number: 560
Oh, I also wondered if it'd be a good idea to run a separate circuit from teh circuit breaker to the subwoofer in case it draws enough along with my system at full volume to trip the circuit breaker. I don't know if it would, but still, it'd be nice to have a specific circuit for the subwoofer. There is an outlet just around the corner that's on an unused circuit. The amp is 1200w/rms but I'm not sure of the efficiency (class-d). It might be a lot, I forgot to check the back panel. Um, what else?

Well I already know how to place and integrate a sub extensively (using RTA's, sound-level meters, phase checkers, crawl around, etc.), so um I think the other thing to consider is how it'll work in my room. I intend to have it placed at the opening between two big rooms (Max length from one wall in the first room to the wall in the other is ~100. Our house has a very open floorplan.

I suppose maybe it'll work better on the other side of the room. I'll just have to wait until I can do the tests and listen to it. I also don't have the money to get a long enough cord and a line protector for a while, so it'll probably go into my room (with that Scott receiver). My room is about 10x13' so I'm sure it'll be more than powerful enough for in there until I can hook it into the main system. Again, thanks a lot.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us