Best bookshelf speaker for NAD320BEE

Username: Meltrob

Kalayaan, Laguna Philippines

Post Number: 1
What bookshelf speaker can you recommend to match NAD 320BEE?

Bronze Member
Username: Malco49

Baltimore, Maryland Usa

Post Number: 42
PSB Image B25
that is what i use albeit with cambridge AZUR 540A
but they sound great
demo'ed against KEF bookshelf and Focal/JM lab bookshelf( forget model #'s )and found the
PSB's to my liking.
i would recommend to demo speakers if possible
happy hunting

Gold Member
Username: Joe_c

Atlanta, GA USA

Post Number: 1188
Totem Rainmaker. I heard that combo and it sounds great!

Course I am bias because I have a pair of them.

Bronze Member
Username: Sukhoi30

New Zealand

Post Number: 68
In that order :-)
========
1.) B&W 600 series bookshelfs - 601
2.) Monitor Audio Bronze
3.) Wharfedale Diamond 9.1

Silver Member
Username: Hawk

Highlands Ranch, CO USA

Post Number: 1000
I would strongly suggest the Dyanudio Audience 42s. I don't know if they are available in your area, nor do I know what you want to spend, or what speakers cost where you are. But what I do know is that the 'bee is one superb amp worthy of better speakers than budget bookshelf types. I have heard the Dyn 42s with the bee and they really sing.

Another really nice bookshelf speaker are the new NHT Clasic Three speakers. I heard them recently, at some length, and was very impressed with their detail and imaging. They will mate very well with a 'bee.

Good luck!

Gold Member
Username: My_rantz

Australia

Post Number: 1020
Hawk, it's good to see you're back. And you're going for gold [finally!].
Congrats and the best for 2007.

And to all others too!

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 3757
Paradigm's fabulous Studio 20v4 would be a good speaker for nearly any amp.

Username: Atex

Post Number: 7
I have Paradigm Mini Monitors with the BEE and I really like the combo, but I'll agree with saurabh about the B&W's. When I bought my speakers, I auditioned the 601's and I really liked the sound. I opted for the Mini Monitors because of the bass response and lower price, but in hindsight, I kinda wish I had gone with the B&Ws. Don't get me wrong though, I really love the Paradigms.

Bronze Member

New Zealand

Post Number: 69
Hey Art/Hawk,

Could you please tell us little more about the Studio 20 V3/V4 especially if you know how they gel with the Rotels.

Hawk - do you find that the Dyn 42s disappear very easily?

I Am looking out for some bookshelves and the studio happens to be one of them - but cant demo them here easily.

Other than the paradigms i am also looking at

Dyn 42 - i am biased fo them
MA RS1
B&W 601

the one i would definately buy over all the choices if i decide to strech my budget- the amazingly lovely Proac 110

Mel Robles - hope i am not taking over the thread as we are still talking bookshelves )

Cheers

Gold Member
Username: Hawk

Highlands Ranch, CO USA

Post Number: 1007
saurabh:

If I understand your situation, you are looking for the best speakers to mate with a Rotel amp. So, my response will be in light of this brand of amp. If my assumption is wrong, my opinion may be of little use.

Rotel is a wonderful amp, but it is not as warm as many others of similar quality. It's sound is clean and precise, and with the wrong speakers can border on sounding "clinical." Therefore, pairing the right speakers can be very important.

I use a pair of Dynaudio 42s with my Rotel amp and I must say I really enjoy it. I have it in my Study, which has become my little refuge where I can listen to some music and away from the constant drone of the tv. The Dyns are very open and airy, with excellent detail and a great soundstage image. To my ear, they do disappear easily--it is one of my favorite and most pleasing charecteristics. However, let me interject a caveat. The system does have a relatively cool sound to it, which not everyone will like.

To my ear, the MAs would be a bad choice with a Rotel amp. MAs (particularly their Silver line) are a bit bright, which, mated with a cool sounding Rotel amp would make for a somewhat cool, bright and clinical sounding system. I do not enjoy that sound from a system. Had one some time ago and I simply stopped listening to it. B+W 601s are more middle of the road, but they have nowhere the detail and openess of the Dyns. I think the B+Ws are good speakers, but not as nice sounding as the Dyns. That leaves the Paradigms on your list.

The Paradigms Studios are a really nice speaker. I think they have a wonderful soundstage, but being a warmer speaker, their soundstage is further back than the Dyns. The difference is like sitting on the 3rd row in a symphony hall (the Dyns) or sitting in the 18th row (the Paradigms). The Paradigms have a deeper soundstage, which compensates for feeling like you are sitting further back. As a much warmer sounding speaker, the Paradigms compliment a Rotel amp very well.

I have not heard the ProAcs, so I cannot comment on them.

So, if this helps, I think both the Dyns and the Paradigms make for a very lovely sounding system with a Rotel amp, but there will be some differences in the overall sound. Whichever one you prefer will require you do listen to both and judge which speakers sound the best to you.

Enjoy!

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 3759
I had the Rotel/Studio 20 combination for many years and found it to always be engaging and non fatiguing. Rotel and Paradigm have great synergy in my opinion.

As usual I disagree with Hawk about the 3rd row 18th row thing as it relates to the Studio 20's. Depending on the recording and which amp I was using I often felt as though the I was in the studio with the artist while listening to my 20's. To hear Hawk describe Paradigm Reference Studio speakers is to wonder if he has ever heard them or perhaps has not heard them with a variety of electronics and recordings.

I think you are likely to get more real world bass from the Dyns but I doubt that you will get comparable tonal balance.

Best to give them all a listen yourself and determine which meets your needs. It's really about preference both for audio and music as each of these products has strengths and weaknesses.

BTW I owned the ProAc Studio 110, great product but I would still give a broke in pair of Studio 20v4's a listen before plunking down the bucks for the ProAcs. ProAcs are very finicky about associated gear and can be difficult relative to placement.

The B&W's aren't in the same league and so I won't comment. I listen to MA's very infrequently, I like them but couldn't fairly discuss them.

Bronze Member

New Zealand

Post Number: 71
Many Thanks Hawk and Art, very helpfull
Thats the best thing about having this forum and you guys, i can go and audition equipment but its totally different to hear from the owners who live with the same, as i believe that a true audition can only be once you own the equipment.
I recently bought a SA 8400 player - loved the details and the lively presentation and the dscount i received but now cannot listen to it for more than 3 hrs at the most as the fatigue is high - it was my choice at the audition :-(. NAD 542 is less detailed but is more musical for some reason and sounds great.
Lesson learnt a hard way.

i Could get the Studio 20 v3 for discount but still have to hear the V4 - i love the Dyns for there build and Size.

Shall keep you all posted.
MA Silver range can get slightly bright, i heard them on more than one occasion on a RA1062 and a very smooth player Marantz SA 17 if i remember right, and it sounded very nice. Yes it was slightly clinical but nice and very open.
Infact i find them much smoother than the B&W 600 series.
But may be my taste as well, as in the past i have swapped my NAD amp for a Rotel Amp.

Art - yes the reason for not going forward with the Proac's is the same as you mentioned - i loveeeee there Midrange though.

Cheers guys.

Post Number: 2
Thanks for all the feedback, will audition some of the speakers mention here and I hope my ears decide.

Silver Member
Username: Daniel_canada

Canada

Post Number: 254
Monitor audio Bronze line is in the update stage, maybe a deal on the older style can be had. I picked up a pair of the B6s and the B centre for $995 Canadian.

Gold Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 1816
Mel

I used to get good results with the 320BEE and these speakers:

Wharfedale Diamond 9.1
B&W DM600
Dynaudio Audience 42
Focal 714V
Totem Mite

regards,
Frank.

Bronze Member
Username: Byam

Post Number: 23
In my bedroom system I have a NAD c320bee, c542 cd player, and c422 tuner. For speakers I have a pair of Dynaudio Audience 42's on 29" stands. I find this to be a very pleasant system for the price.

Bronze Member

New Zealand

Post Number: 73
I would also like to second Wharfedale 9.1 diamonds - very good value for money and nice mids.
They sang very well with NAD 352 and will probably not be any different with 320bee

Post Number: 3
Did any one hear the combination of NAD320BEE with Epos M5?

Bronze Member
Username: Jingka99

Kuala Lumpur, Kuala Lumpur Malaysia

Post Number: 95
Hi Mel, I am also from the Philippines but currently stationed here in KL Malaysia...How's life there in the Phi?

Anyway, regarding your question,

Check this out:

https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-audio/145759.html

Hope it helps Kabayan...

Post Number: 4
Hi Arnold,

Life here in the Philippines is A OK, just open your eyes and see the development going on.

BTW thanks for the link.

Silver Member
Username: Jingka99

Kuala Lumpur, Kuala Lumpur Malaysia

Post Number: 115
NP Mel, it's great to hear that! Thanks...

Username: Juha

Post Number: 4
C320BEE and Dyn42 is a good match, surprisingly good. Anyhow, a pair of good speaker cables is a must: it can change the sound a lot better (or worse). Also, the source makes a huge impact in a system having speakers that good.

Actually, I've been trying to upgrade from 320BEE + Dyn42. Fair options this far to replace BEE have been MF and Densen, both of which are a few times more expensive than BEE; cheaper candidates have not provided good results.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us