Denon or Onkyo?

Username: Nandy

Post Number: 1
Hello....I am an amateur in this field. I am trying to get myself a decent startup system. Currently my budget is around 500$. I narrowed down to a 7.1 channel receiver and 2 front floor speakers for now. Will add the rest of the speakers one by one as money trickles in ;)....So here are the ones which are available for me within my range, here with service & warranty backing

A/V Receivers:
Denon AVR 1507
Onkyo TX-SR504

Speakers:
Polk Audio Monitor 50 series
Onkyo SKF 4600

I am totally confused as to which I should go in for. The receivers pretty much match up to my eyes! But would be of great help if anyone could help me finalise from the lot! Or if you have any better suggestion most welcome!

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 5035
Hi Nandy.

You are informed enough to ask before you buy. Good.

When you say you will try 2 speakers to start, have you heard a good stereo setup lately?
How important is HT for you, as opposed to Music DVD?

Could you manage with a stereo setup as opposed to HT in your room?

I would like you to explore a quality stereo rather than 7 channels that are not proper..

Gold Member
Username: Joe_c

Atlanta, GA USA

Post Number: 1177
In my opinion, the Denon/Polk combo would be a great start. Not knocking Onkyo, but I prefer the Denon's musicality over the Onkyo and as for the speakers, I have always loved what Polk has done being that they are MM speaker producers.

I have a Denon and have never had one problem with it. Good luck and happy hunting. Best thing you can do is take a cd or movie you know pretty well and audition both setups (for a while too) that way you don't wonder if you made the right choice.

Gold Member

Post Number: 5039
No knock against Joe or his choices, I havn't heard a really good Denon in years.
At Denon's price, a lot of other stuff is available, albeit giving away features for power supply.

Nandy, you say that you are starting out. Fine. Start with 2 good channels, and 2 good speakers.

And a good cdplayer.

Silver Member
Username: Jethro

Lansing, Mi

Post Number: 138
nothin for nothin here, but it would seem that in the late 2006 nandy here probably wants some surround sound for movies eventually and probably would be better off? in his case ask him w/ a universal dvd player and a starter receiver that he can eventually hook up 5 speakers and a sub. Nandy, you looking for music playback or movie?

Gold Member

Post Number: 5040
Nandy, brands aside, you can go out and buy any number of receivers today, from BB to CC.

There are any number of good high quality units waiting for good homes on the used market.

The investment you make now could be a solid performer for 20 or 30 years, no shite!

The more features, the more breakage.

Look at the 2150 from www.outlawaudio.com with a nice phono stage, or the h/k avr series for a better price.

Nandy, the price does run up, but the returns are high indeed~

Gold Member

Post Number: 5041
Sorry, the h/k 3380 stereo receiver was the one to watch.

Bangalore, Karnataka India

Post Number: 2
Hi guys, thanks a lot for those advices....I am both a movie buff n a music freak. So thats the reason I wanted to go in for the 7.1 HT. (But as my finances stand I can't invest in all the speakers right now :-(!). I had bought a Pixel Plus 2 Philips 29" HDTV (1080i) just for this startup HT I had pipelined! I have a Sony DVD player, though most of my songs are on my networked hard drive accesible over my Home Wi-Fi N/W! So the idea is I would buy a Wireless Media streamer and hook it up to my receiver and eureka I have all my media requirements wire(less)d up! So Nuck, I don't think the stereo would suffice my needs. And another problem is the availability here, only Onkyo n Denon seem to have a service n a warranty setup here! Others are either smuggled or you have to pay import duties and no service :-(. The Onkyo dealer is giving me the Receiver & Onkyo Speakers together in a 0% EMI scheme too! Are those SKF 4600 spekaers any good? The Speaker rating on the Polk has 150W with a fqy response range of 53Hz-24Khz while on the SKF it is 120W 40Hz to 35KHz. Would that add to significant differences in performance? And is an Auto Setup a good feature to have? The Denon has this up its sleeve against the Onkyo which has missed this feature.

Username: Expatcanuck

Post Number: 7
> I have always loved what Polk has done
> being that they are MM speaker producers.

Joe (or anyone) - What's MM?

Nandy -

As far as Auto-Setup goes, it's *potentially* a convenience -- *provided that* the automated routines generate a result that pleases your ears -- but certainly nothing that one needs. You sound technically quite capable of performing any manual adjustments needed. You should base your choice on how the receivers sound, or other features.

Regarding speakers, my experience has been that rated frequency response and power handling specs, if they're at all close (and in this case, they are) have no bearing on speaker quality. The only way to evaluate speakers is to listen to them, ideally in an environment not unlike the target environment.

- Richard

Post Number: 8
Oh yeah - the generally accepted range of human hearing is 20Hz - 20kHz ... and one typically loses the ability to hear the upper frequencies with age and/or abuse.

Post Number: 3
THanks Richard. Well as myconfusion goes I have decided to go with the Onkyo 504. I am still stuck with my speaker selection, Jamo n Elac are another option that has come up now. Jamo S 606 sounded well in the demo I heard but it was driven by a high end Marantz. And Elac 50 Series F58 was driven by the Onkyo. Both were sounding good to my ears. Now totally confused. Another question is both these speakers support BiAmping, is it possible to do it with Onkyo 504? How do I do that?

Post Number: 9
Nandy -

As far as speaker auditions go, I typically take a nanosecond to determine whether I prefer a given pair of speakers over another. Are you bringing your own reference disc(s)?

Find a piece of music that has dynamic range (i.e. - loud and soft passages), and listen for accurate reproduction. Listen to the same piece at moderate and realistic volume levels on each speaker pair. Check for accurate (not overly pronounced) reproduction of the high frequencies (i.e. - present, but not too flashy/sibilant) and low frequencies (i.e. - present and authoritative, but not boomy).

I can't believe that, taking such an approach, you won't find one that you prefer.

I know nothing about bi-amping. Never needed to. Don't expect to need to.

Best of luck.

- Richard

Gold Member

Post Number: 5326
Nandy, you won't bi-amp with one Onkyo.

Gold Member
Username: Joe_c

Atlanta, GA USA

Post Number: 1308
mm = mass market

Post Number: 4
I just read all that you guys wrote in the bi amping forum, it sure was comprehensive....thanks a lot for all the advise guys. Now I guess I will start troubling you more when I get the system next week n hook it all up :-)
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us