Passive sub requirements

Username: Muttly

St. Paul, MN America

Post Number: 5
My question is, What options are there to drive my dinosaur subwoofer with music and HT? Can I use a separate old amp just for the sub with an rca "Y" connect from a new HT receiver going into the cd input on the old amp? I just fried an amp that came with an htib. I used it because it had left/right sub speaker outputs. It worked well for a year. I thought this would be an easy solution as most home theatre receivers I am shopping have a dedicated rca line out intended for an active sub instead of 2 left/right outs required by my sub. I used to have a sub amp but "lost" it. It was weak anyway. I've priced those now and they cost as much as the mid priced HT receivers I'm checking, $500-700.

The sub specs I have are: 10" dual voice coil woofer, 12" passive radiator, crossover- 18db/octave LC type Low Pass, frequency range 30 to 150 Hz, 8 ohms nominal, 80 watts each channel with music.

A while back I had to replace the 10". I went with an Infinity car sub. (Sorry) 91db, 250rms 1000peak. 8ohm.

The rest of my Speakers are 6ohm. jbl in front, aiwa center, samsungs rear (came with htib)

So any ideas on how to drive this mutt system?
Thanks and Happy Holidays.

Upload
Upload

Silver Member
Username: Arande2

400dB could probably d..., 4000 isnt ev... 100,000dB FU...

Post Number: 297
Do you already have an amp to power your home theater? I see you fried your last one, but I think it'd be a good idea to drive your speakers with a separate amp! Ding...dong...ding...da dong means that I'm bored...
You should probably spend equal amounts on your amplifiers as to give your system the kick it needs...

Infinity??? why???

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 5020
Hi Greg.
If you are cost concious, an amp from Behringer has lots of power.

The sub pre-out can be split with a 'Y' to power 2 channels.

Silver Member

Post Number: 333
Behringer eh? Well of course I'm a novice all I know about is the actual subwoofers themselves!

St. Paul, MN America

Post Number: 8
Hey Nuck,

The Sub takes 2 channels (left/right) speaker wire hook ups. The rca "Y" idea was to connect to a simple stereo amp. I would run the left right end of the Y to the CD inputs, run the speaker wire from the amp to the sup, select CD on the amp. I have access to purchase an older, yamaha amp for $50. Straight stereo amp providing 100 watts per channel. The HT amps I'm considering are around 100 watts per channel. Is this idea plausible? Thanks.

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 5028
Greg, you can fiddle with bullshite forever, or just buy a powerful amp to run car subs in your home.
I understand that you want bang for the buck, so buy Behringer.
And maybe Cerwin vega.

St. Paul, MN America

Post Number: 10
Hey Nuck, I checked out (and bookmarked) the Behringer site and I'm reeling at the power for the price! The A500 for $199 is perfect. And no shipping. Thanks for steering me there. I'll let you know how it turns out. Thanks again.

Silver Member

Post Number: 366
I wonder how that 1600 watt behringer sub would do in a home?

Silver Member

Post Number: 381
Compared to a normal like 10-12" home audio subwoofer I mean.

Bronze Member

St. Paul, MN America

Post Number: 11
my friend gave me the Yamaha free, free is good when you know you'll upgrade, the yammie @ 100 watties per channel works very well driving the 25 year old sub. Took a little tweaking but to me it sounds acceptable. The HT I got is mid priced yamaha too. It'll do until i move from this god awful townhouse to the country and acquire more funds. Black Hawk down was my test dvd. keeping the jbls though Nuck.

Silver Member

Post Number: 501
Hmm, interesting.

Bronze Member

St. Paul, MN America

Post Number: 12
thanks andre, interesting, perhaps, educational yes, tedious yes. appreciate all the input. great site. vast and diverse knowledge/perpectives. except for that one guy.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us