Focal-JM Chorus 726V

Bronze Member
Username: Mike53

Post Number: 16
Well, I'm still researching speakers. One of the local hi-fi dealers had the Chorus 800 and Profile line to hear. Both sounded nice but are out of my price range. Has anyone heard the 726?

I was also interested in hearing some Triangle but I couldn't find anyone in the Baltimore/DC area that carries them.

ny info is greatly appreciated.

Gold Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 1764
The new chorus 700V range is extremely impressive in my view. Very good value for money here in the UK and well worth considering if possible.

The few times I've heard Triangle I did not like hearing the cabinet honk from their larger speakers.

Regards,
Frank.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 18
It has come down to either the B&W 604S or the Focal 726V - if I can ever audition them. Both are in the same price range.

I have heard, too, about the Triangle "honk".

Mike

Gold Member

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 1766
The Focals are miles better than any 600 series speaker. I'm not a fan except for the baby DM600 which is a peach. The rest have overblown bass and a slightly bright treble.

Regards,
Frank.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 19
Thanks for the heads-up, Frank. I had originaly heard the BW 703/704 models - impressive but out of my price range. I have heard the Focal Chorus 714, at a friends, and was impressed - I figured the 716 and 726 had to be even more impressive. Both are affordable. I'm tempted to take a chance and order them unheard.

Username: Ryukyu

Post Number: 1
I have not yet heard any of the 700 series, but I did listen to a pair of Chorus 816 Vs. They were really great. Very clean and smooth through out the entire tonal spectrum.

While waiting for the local dealer to get some 700 V series speaker in to audition, I have been checking specs and it appears that the only differences between 800 and 700 are the corresponding size and finish of the enclosures. The 700s are a little smaller, and have a matte finish instead of a glossy one. While I know that the enclosure size will affect the sound somewhat, I think it's probably a great thing that the drivers appear to be the same in to 700s as in the 800s.

If anyone knows anything else or different, I would love to hear about it.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 24
Good point regarding the specs of the 800 and 700 Chorus. I would venture to say that the cross-over varies, somewhat, betweeen the 2 models.

Gold Member

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 1777
The 800 series is a much bigger sounding range than the 700. Although that sounds good in principle, the 700 series sounds so good and brings with it a tight fast sound that I rather like. The 700 series is also less room dependant in my experience. The 800s simply won't work in our dem rooms whereas the 700s work a treat. That said, our Focal supplier says we are unique in this respect, so go figure!

Regards,
frank.

Post Number: 2
Frank,

I finally got a chance to listen to the 716V and the 816V, one after another. From my viewpoint, the 816V sounded a little fuller all around than the 716V, however the 716 only had 2-3 hours of playing time on them.
The 716Vs did sound really good. So good, in fact, that I am having a very difficult time trying to decide if the 816Vs are worth the extra money.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 25
From what you've said, Frank, it seems as though the 700 series would be my best choice...beings I tend to change listening rooms, periodically. Also, the rooms I use range from 175 to 250 square feet. From past experience, speakers similar to the 716/726 worked out just fine.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 26
Rick,

Thanks for posting your findings. I was debating as to whether to stretch my budget and get the 816 but if you were that impressed with the 716 I'd venture to guess that the 726 is even closer to the 816. ???
Let us know what you decide.

Mike

Post Number: 3
Mike,

I really wish that I could hear the 726, but the local dealer has none and the next closest dealer is quite a way from where I live.

I am wondering if I would like the 726 even better than the 716, and of course the price point is in between the 716 and 816. Maybe I wil talk to the local dealer and see if I can order the 726 and maybe exchange if I don't like them as much.

I learned long ago that for me, personally, going farther up the line is not necessarily better. What I mean is that I have listened to other speaker lines and liked a middle of the line-up speaker better than a higher placed model.

Maybe Frank can give some advice as to the differences between the 716V, 726V and the 816V???

Bronze Member

Post Number: 27
Rick,

I've heard the 714 and it was impressive but my rooms are larger and need more bass. That's why I'm looking into the 726. The 726 is a 3-way with dual bass speakers. The 716 is a 2.5-way with one bass speaker. (Check out the Focal web site: www.focal.tm-fr)
Like yourself, more expensive is not always better, for me. As I've gotten older my hearing has diminished so why buy something I can't hear.

Keep us posted.

Mike

ps: I, too, would be interested in hearing your opinion Frank.

Post Number: 4
Mike,

There is a JM Lab owners thread over at AVS Forums. In there is a post where someone went and auditioned the Chorus 716V, 726V, 816V, and 826V. He said that he ended up liking the 726V and the 816V the best, but preferred the 726 because it sounded fuller to him than the 816.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 28
Rick,

In another thread, here, about speakers Frank expressed a similar opinion. I believe his comment was that the 700s were more flexible to a room than the 800s were...or something like that. Please correct me Frank.
I'm still waiting for the local dealer to get some 726s in so I can get a listen.

Gold Member

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 1790
Sorry guys, can't help that much. I've never really done an A/B comparison between 816V and 726V, mainly because the 816V didn't work in our rooms so no point really.

There is something very 'right' about the 716V. Our main demo room is 7m x 5m (about 22' x 15') and the 716V fills it easily with 50wpc amplification. The 726V is bigger and sounds bigger. Is it better? Not sure. more presence certainly but is it too much? I can't get my head around this one.

Regards,
Frank.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 29
Well, this is good news for me (i.e., how the 716V "fills" your demo room). My biggest room isn't quite as large, as yours', and knowing that the 716 (driven by 50 watts) would do the job sure makes choices easier. I'd much rather purchase a higher quality, but less powerful, amp - I've been considering a Creek 5350.
As for the 726 having too much "presence"...a good point to consider - I hadn't given this a thought.

Thanks, Frank, for this information.

Mike

Post Number: 5
The comments about the room flexibility are interesting.
Focal claims that the front port, coupled with the down-firing port in the 800V series simplifies placement issues.
So, Mike, Are you leaning more towards the 716 or 726? If you get to audition the 726, please pass along your comments.
Anybody know how much of a difference 3 Hz makes in frequency response at the bottom end?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 30
I must admit that I have always owned 3-way speakers. That said, while doing my research I have listened to many 2 and 2.5 way speakers that were most impressive - modern technology , I guess.
After reading what Frank had to say about how the 716 sounded in his demo room I am rethinking my choice - my listening room is smaller than Frank's so I don't want to overwhelm the room.
To answer your question, Rick, I'm considering the 716. It will be another week or 2 before I can audition the speakers. (The dealer has a room the same dimensions as my room as well as the exact electronics I'll be purchasing so I couldn't ask for a better demo.) Once I do I'll be sure to let you know the outcome.
"3 Hz...at the bottom end...", you must have excellent hearing, Rick.

Post Number: 6
Forgive my ignorance on the frequency response.
The reason that I ask is that Focal claims the downfiring port on the 816 gives you more bass, but the difference in frequency response between the 716 and 816 was just 3Hz on the bottom end.
To my ears, the 816 sounded a little fuller and overall smoother, but they did have them connected to different electronics. Don't get me wrong, the 716s were really very good, but the 816s just seemed a tad better.
I think I'll call the dealer and see if I can demo the two on the same electronics.
Oh, and not to start a flame war, but I went and listened to some KEF IQ9s last night and immediately did not like them. They sounded so harsh and bright to me in comparison to the Focals.
So after listening to everything that I can in my area, I'm pretty well sold on Focal, but just have to decide which model.
Maybe I'm obsessing too much but I tend to keep these things for a while.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 31
The amp driving the speaker can/will make a major difference in how the speakers sound. I originally auditioned a pair of B&W 703s being driven by a $3,500 amp...outstanding sound. I then listened to the same speakers via a $1,500 amp. The speakers still sounded great but not as good as they did with the $3,500 amp. Point being, as you probably already know, when comparing speakers it's best to have the same, or similar, sources. No doubt the 816s sounded better but does the extra $$$ justify the "tad better" sound. I guess it depends on how critical a listener one is. Specs say a great deal but let your ears make the final decision.
I, too, have listened to numerous speakers and the Focals are the best I've heard, in my price range.
I understand your "obsessing", Rick...this will be a long term investment for me, too.

Post Number: 7
You are definitely right about letting your ears decide.
I think I am getting too hung up on the technical specs and marketing "propaganda". It's the tech geek in me I guess.

Gold Member

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 1794
It's easy to be seduced by numbers. What's more difficult is to tune in to the overall performance and see if the portrayal affects you emotionally in a better way. Try to focus on the message behind the performance as a whole. You may be surprised by what you find. (This is getting awfully Zen...)

Regards,
Frank

Post Number: 10
Mike,

Thought I would give you an update.
I asked the dealer to set up the 716Vs and the 816Vs on the same electronics so I could listen to both on an even footing.
When I listened to some modern recordings which consisted of some some jazz/funk/r&b type of music, I thought the 716s were on par with the 816s, except the 816s had a little more bass and were a little fuller.
Just for kicks I asked him to put in one of my Led Zeppelin CDs, specifically "The Ocean" off of the Houses of the Holy album. Well that changed things quite a bit. Since it is an older recording that has been remastered, it is, to my ears at least, a bright recording.
After just a little while of listening to it on the 716s, my ears were reaching fatigue. Not so with the 816s. They were overall much smoother, but mostly in the highs, where the fatigue was coming from on the 716s.
Now, I know they use the same tweeter so the difference must be in either the cabinet design or the crossover.
As far as the bass response goes the dealer felt that the 726 would be much closer to the 816, but would still retain the bright highs.
So now, since I losten to a lot of older recordings that probably fall into the same category as the Led Zeppelin one, I either get the 816s or look for something else. I really didn't want to spend that much, so I've got some pondering to do.
In the mean time, if anyone knows of a speaker that sells for less that may have similar propoerties to the Focal, but with a less bright high end, please let me know.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 11
Mike,

Thought I would give you an update.
I asked the dealer to set up the 716Vs and the 816Vs on the same electronics so I could listen to both on an even footing.
When I listened to some modern recordings which consisted of some some jazz/funk/r&b type of music, I thought the 716s were on par with the 816s, except the 816s had a little more bass and were a little fuller.
Just for kicks I asked him to put in one of my Led Zeppelin CDs, specifically "The Ocean" off of the Houses of the Holy album. Well that changed things quite a bit. Since it is an older recording that has been remastered, it is, to my ears at least, a bright recording.
After just a little while of listening to it on the 716s, my ears were reaching fatigue. Not so with the 816s. They were overall much smoother, but mostly in the highs, where the fatigue was coming from on the 716s.
Now, I know they use the same tweeter so the difference must be in either the cabinet design or the crossover.
As far as the bass response goes the dealer felt that the 726 would be much closer to the 816, but would still retain the bright highs.
So now, since I listen to a lot of older recordings that probably fall into the same category as the Led Zeppelin one, I either get the 816s or look for something else. I really didn't want to spend that much, so I've got some pondering to do.
In the mean time, if anyone knows of a speaker that sells for less that may have similar propoerties to the Focal, but with a less bright high end, please let me know.
I have audtitioned Totem, KEF, Triangle, PSB, Paradigm, B&W, Boston Acoustics and Rega, and found them all lacking in some ways.

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 5195
Rick, those specs ring up quite close to the Psb Stratus Silver and Silver i .

Heres a full test
http://www.audioxpress.com/reviews/media/1101colin.pdf

Available on the used market at good prices. I bought a changeout set of silk dome tweeters for 180$C.

I have these.
http://www.psbspeakers.com/product.php?pId=8&sId=2

Bronze Member

Post Number: 32
Rick,

I did some listening, myself, this past weekend. Went to Tw..t.r and was able to listen to the 816 and 826. (For comparison I also listened to Polks, JBL, Def-Tech & Logan).
I must admit that I wasn't impressed with any of the speakers. My suspicion is that it was the electronics, not the speakers. There were no audio only systems...it was all home theater set-ups. I had to play my music via a multi-format (cd, sacd, dvd, etc.) player fed into a 5.1 a/v device. It was a far cry from true, 2 channel audio equipment.
I listened to floor standing speakers that ranged in price from $1,200 to $ 2,700 and there was little difference in the sound. I didn't even listen long enough to consider listening fatigue. The 816 and 826 were, however, the better sounding of those I listened to.
It's back to the audiophile only dealer.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 12
Man this speaker shopping is hard work!
I can't seem to delete the first of my double post this morning, so I apologize for that. Thought I hit the cancel button in time, but...
Mike, I'd say that the fatigue was starting to be felt within 15 minutes or so of listeninig to that disc on the 716Vs, so it didn't take long.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 33
Nuck: My audio dealer also carries PSB. I had listened to a pair of Platinum speakers, which I liked, but they were out of my price range. He is restocking and once he gets all the models in I'll go and have a listen to speakers I haven't yet heard.

Rick: Go figure. I have previously heard the Chorus 714 and found them very listenable. Frank had previously mentioned how he enjoyed the 716V.
Makes me wonder how much electronics and room acoustics can add to listening fatigue.

Gold Member

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 1798
Hi there, I was playing with the 714Vs again on the weekend. Unfortunately for you, I was listening to them on the end of a fairly nice system (Rega Apollo, Naim Nait5i) and they sounded great. There was no stridency, whether I was playing older recordings (Led Zep 4, Pink Floyd DSOTM), or newer ones. Very open in the treble but not strident...

Regards,
Frank.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 13
I was listening on an Arcam amp and Arcam DVD player. I don't know which models.
Even if Arcam tends to be bright (I don't know either way), the 816Vs just sounded better to me. I really wanted to like the 716s as much.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 34
Frank/Rick,

Our listening experiences just confirm how critical it is to match equipment & speakers, for a good sound. The 714V that I listened to were being driven by Creek equipment.

Gold Member

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 1800
Rick, Mike,

Arcams and Creek aren't usually bright. Perhaps you just prefer the darker presentation of the 800 series or - as i said earlier - the 800s just don't work in our demo room, which is a real pisser as it's the more likely answer! :-(

Regards,
Frank.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 35
Frank,

Just to be clear; the 714s sounded, well, very good. Not bright at all. (They were being driven by an older Creek - a 4340, I believe, with a Creek cd player.)
As for the 800 series being "darker", I wouldn't jump to conclusion. Didn't you suggest, earlier, that it may be an issue of acoustics. In my case, it wasn't the speakers or acoustics...rater it was the electronics driving the speakers.

Username: Badassfajita

Post Number: 1
How much are you guys getting off MSRP on the 714/716/726? Thanks in advance.

Gold Member

Post Number: 5205
http://cgi.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/auc.pl?spkrfull&1169087277&auc&3&4&

Bronze Member

Post Number: 16
Fajita, it depends on whether you're talking about the S series or V series. With the V series, the best I have been able to get so far is a 10% discount. The S series speakers seem to be available at a number of different places for great prices.

Frank, have you ever listened to the Cobalt 816s, and if so, how would you say that they compare.

Post Number: 2
I've had the 714V for an in-home audition for the last 5 days and while not unimpressed, am not that impressed either. Could be due to my electronics--I just have an HK 635 receiver and a Sony DVD player hooked up by optical connection to the receiver. Some songs sound great, but others are somewhat sibilant. At times, vocals seem boxy as well. Another problem is that I have them both within 1 foot of the wall behind them--maybe thats contributing somewhat. I've tried the Monitor RS6 which I thought were good, but the vocals seem recessed. The vocals are better with the Focal, but I feel the bass is lacking a bit comparatively and like I said, the top end is fatiguing after a while. I'm looking for a small floorstander under $1000 and not sure what to look at now...I've tried the B&W 603 and was unimpressed. On another note, I did audition the 716S at the store which had acoustical treatments with a $4000 cd player with a tube amp, and it sounded smooooth. Any suggestions?

Gold Member

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 1832
Nuck,

That link points to the older Chorus 'S' speaker. The 'S' line has been replaced and the 'V' is far better.

Rick, yes I have and although good not great in my opinion.

Badass, sounds to me like you've toed-in the 714Vs a lot. That would pinch the soundstage, deaden the bass and sharpen the treble. I'm not so worried about the proximity to the rear wall to be honest. If you have them toed in only by 10 degrees or less, instead of pointing at the listening position, the soundstage will open up, the bass will be fuller and the treble will sweeten. You'll lose the timing problems and the chestiness in vocals.

You may get too much bass with this. The only soluton then is to pull them away from the rear wall by a few inches.

Regards,
Frank.

Post Number: 3
They were actually not toed in at all--firing straight from where they were standing. Well I've got to return these guys today, so it looks like a no go for me. Gonna try and bring in the Monitor RS6 again to audition in my house...on that note, I can't still find the "perfect" speaker. Maybe my budget is the problem too and my tastes reflect $3000 speakers but I can only afford $1000. I listen to a lot of high energy music as well, dance/rap/r&b, and the bass that the 714 put out was not sufficient in my 17' x 15' room that has huge openings to a staircase, dining room and kitchen. Any other suggestions on a small floorstander? Quad 21L?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 18
Funny that you mention the Quads. After being disappointed with the Focal's brightness on older recordings, I am considering the Quad 21Ls.
Unfortunately, I have no place to audition a pair.
If you look into those, please post your opinions.

Gold Member

Post Number: 5270
A completely different tack might be the Revel Concerto 12, different presentation, good price, lots of guts for rap/reggae/blues.

Maybe?

Post Number: 4
Well unfortunately the closest Quad dealer for me is in Dallas, 250 miles away...which sux. On the other hand, I was playing with the EZ setup right now and seemed to have gotten rid of the sibilance...have been listening the last hour and have been pleased overall. Unfortunately the Revels are too big--I need a small pretty floorstander for my living room. FOrtunately, the 714v is small and "pretty". The RS6 was also small and pretty.

Gold Member

Post Number: 5276
Despite what my inner emotions are screaming, Badass, 'pretty' does matter.

Silver Member
Username: Arande2

400dB could probably d..., SouthWest Mi... Too Many DBs...

Post Number: 749
Yeah, when my setup looks annoying enough I'll clean the room up

Gold Member

Post Number: 5277
When your Mom tells you to, Andre.

Post Number: 5
Guys, what you would you suggest in terms of a solid state 2 channel amp for the Chorus 714v? Will I notice a difference between that and the hK 635? What brand in particular? I will be looking used on audiogon. Rotel? B&K? Adcom? Thanks. I will probably drive the center and rear channels with the HK.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 36
Well, I've finally decided on speakers. This past weekend I went and listened to the Chorus 726V, along with the 816V and 826V. I had heard the 826V, a few weeks ago, at a home theater store - a big mistake. The stereo shop that I deal with sells only audiophile equipment...this makes an enormous difference.
I first listened to the 726V. The speakers were in a room approximately the size of my room and were being driven by a Creek 5350...the sound was great. I played a variety of big band, swing, vocals, rock-a-billy, acoustic, etc. It all sounded marvelous. The 716s weren't available to hear so I can't comment on them but having, previously, hearing the 714 and now the 726 I would venture to say that the 716V also sounds great, as Frank has observed.
I then auditioned the 800s, in a larger room, via a Conrad-Johnson. As Frank had previously pointed out, the 800 series had a larger range...but they were in a much larger room. The 816 and 826 were impressive but would have been too much speaker for my room.
To answer your question, Rick, I decided on the 726V. You had mentioned the Quad 21L...I had heard the 22L and the midrange seemed to get lost. Maybe the 21L is different.
Fajita: You asked about pricing. I bought an entire system so I got a package deal. The list price, for the 726, is $1,500...I got them much cheaper. You asked about a 2 channel amp...consider, also, NAD, Creek, Music Hall,Yamaha, Marantz...

Bronze Member

Post Number: 19
Hey Mike,

Congratulations on making your decision!! I'm sure you will enjoy them.

Thanks for passing along your audition observations. It makes me think that maybe I should go back and give them another listen. (The dealer's going to hate me.)

I also will probably go and listen to some Totem Sttafs. If anyone has experience with those, I would love to hear about it. I listened to the Arros and thought they sounded a bit "thin", but the Sttafs are reported to have a slightly fuller sound.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 37
Rick,

I've been breaking in the speakers with my old equipment (Yamaha amp, NAD cd player & Luxman tuner) and they still sounds marvelous. The new Creek amp and Music Hall cd should arrive next week.
Not familiar with Totem...no dealers within a reasonable distance. I have read many positive opinions on them.

Silver Member
Username: Arande2

400dB could probably d..., SouthWest Mi... Too Many DBs...

Post Number: 856
That is great.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us