If you run 2 ch w/ out sub .... do you miss it?

Gold Member
Username: Joe_c

Atlanta, GA

Post Number: 1147
Just wondering if any of you run a 2 ch setup without a subwoofer and if so do you miss it? I run a pair of Rainmakers without a sub and love the way I pay more attention to the one area audiophiles love, that beautiful midrange. Any thoughts?

Gold Member
Username: Petergalbraith

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 1998
The Rainmakers are rated to 42 Hz but one could argue that they are already 3 dB below the upperbass hump at 50 Hz. So that's your reference. For me, there's nice texture below this frequency in the bass guitar sounds in the jazz that I enjoy so much. The piano has a bit more weight to it with the lower bass as well. I don't usually use a sub for stereo, but my speakers are rated to 33 Hz or so. Most of the content that I enjoy is there. Previously, I was using speakers rated to 53 Hz and preferred them with a sub, and I don't feel I need one very often anymore.

But there's no correct answer here. Whatever you prefer.

Gold Member

Atlanta, GA

Post Number: 1149
Yep, there is only preference with this question.

Gold Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 1763
Joseph,

Are you single or biwiring? If you are single wiring, please tell me that you have replaced the (frankly awful) standard brass interconnecting plates with some decent wire. It makes a big difference on Totems.

As to bass, Rainmakers are bassier than many other Totems. I never really 'miss' the bass since the ear compensates easily enough. That said, a sympathetic sub (e.g. Totem Storm) will provide significant improvements in the midrange and treble as well as supply extra bass depth. I don't understand this phenomenon but it's something I've observed on many occasions when a sub is introduced to a full range speaker system.

Regards,
Frank.

Gold Member
Username: Timn8ter

Seattle, WA USA

Post Number: 1166
My preference has always been a pair of speakers that can deliver the full range. When I built a pair for myself I made two bass units and topped them with sealed 2 way speakers in separate cabinets. I'm not saying there isn't room for improvement (I've started another personal project) but it's not bad.

Gold Member

Atlanta, GA

Post Number: 1153
Yes Frank, that was one of the first things that was told to me to do. I have DH labs silver single wires and created jumpers and then hooked neg in to top neg post and pos into bottom pos post and I love the way they sound. They are much more bassy than many other speakers I have heard at this size and spec. Another thing that helped were the solid 30lb pedestals I made for them. Noticed a difference on the whole spectrum (soundstage, depth, fullness). I had them on cheap Sanus stands before. I would love to hear (and have) the Mani 2's. I think if I could have any bookshelf pair under 5k I would have these. Love Totem's products.

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 4977
I ran for 2 weeks without a sub. It forced me(yet again) to position the speakers. If I could fix the room, it would be better.
Speakers rated to 38Hz, I measured 50 once.
Much better with placement, wires(cheap) and some pillows.
I am down to about 42, that is usually fine, iif the source has (or needs) some grunt.

My sub sucks, but I have it for a while, but really full range mains would be best.
Big Honkin 15".

I call them 'that 70's speaker'.

Silver Member
Username: Daniel_canada

Canada

Post Number: 247
Yeah, 15" 70's speakers. Not books nor floor standers. In a nice wood pattern vinyl to match the station wagon.

Gold Member

Post Number: 4981
The Vista Cruiser

Silver Member

Canada

Post Number: 250
YES!!!!

http://www.americanautoclubuk.com/photo/fcars/mem12%5B1%5D.jpg

Silver Member

Canada

Post Number: 251
Back to the orignal post. When I was running a books and a sub, I was concerned about my sub when I was looking at floorstanders. Turns out I prefer the floors over the book/sub combo. The bass from the floors is more "realistic" to me. This is where a authorized dealer with a storefront is handy.

Gold Member

Post Number: 4984
Babe Magnet.
My buddy had one in 74 with a blown engine.
We dropped in the 454 from his 69 cutlass, welded the frame, 400 lbs over the axle, 2 seats and we had a blast in it!

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 3737
Sorry I didn't get to this yesterday Joseph...work and all that inconvenience you know.

I have to admit that I did indeed miss my sub. I have learned how much I value bass and will likely have a REL sub one day. For now the little ML Dynamo has given me back some of the impact that I like, especially with popular music like funk and soul. BTW I love the Rainmakers they are a steal at their price.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us