Archive through October 29, 2006

Silver Member
Username: Black_math

Post Number: 335
That doesn't mean anything. Like I said, the email seems bogus to me.

Silver Member
Username: Black_math

Post Number: 336
Stating that the "muslim world hates us for our freedoms" is about as far from the truth as you can get. They hate us because we are over there killing and torturing their people, telling them how to live, and supporting Israel. Although it is a comforting thought for the feeble minded.

Try reading something from Richard Clark instead of bogus writings that may or may not have come from a man who spent his career overseeing bypass operations given to fat generals.

BTW we are bankrupting our country and stand a good chance of losing our AAA credit rating. It is amazing to me that all these geniuses supporting "the war on terror" don't want to line up, make the sacrifice, and pay for it. How much support do you think this war would get if we would eliminate Jr's wonderful tax cuts to pay for it?

Silver Member
Username: Mike3

Lewisville, Tx USA

Post Number: 179
I am not certain as to how to reply as I am in no mood for political debate. I do not like injustices, prejudices, or abuse of power. I believe these issues should be addressed. However I think the main focus should be on our freedoms and if that means the war on terror then so be it.

We are each entitled to our opinions, and you have solid preface for yours. However we are what we are and enjoy the benefits of being Americans. I would not want to trade places with any other country at this time, nor lose what we have for our children and their children.

Do you think we are the only bad guys out there? Do you think that our "abuse" of position or power is worse than anyone else who at one point in history or another was in our position?

I believe the issues you present to be true. I would like to know more about Richard Clark and why you suggest him.

Silver Member
Username: My_rantz

Australia

Post Number: 845
Phew, Here we go again. Seeing what's happening here yet again, I can only state that I'm now sorry I posted a copy of that Airman's email here in the first place. I only thought it was apt because of 9/11 anniversary. I should have known what would evolve from it. As I don't live in the US I won't offer my opinion of the US stance in world affairs in this debate except that there are peaceful decent Muslims everywhere, but they must accept that there is an extemely radical element among them that must not be supported or tolerated. They should have that responsibilty for their own sake as well as for the rest of the world's population and if not, then they cannot blame us if they become tarred with the same brush as their evil, insidious counterparts. That is my opinion, it doesn't make me right.

For Art to be jumped upon for having the right to express his thoughts on this forum, which may be welcome retreat from the place he's been in recently, is quite startling. I went through a major ordeal a little while back this year, and it made me realise just how trivial and inconsequential certain things in life can be. Things we all should stand for are freedom of expression, and the decent treatment of our fellow man.

If we can't get along here, how can we offer opinions on why others can't?

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 3556
Well said MR....

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 9156

First of all, Art, what day's post am I supposed to be working on right now? Today? Last week? Last month? Please help out a poor soul who just can't keep up with your quick wit.

"Last time we got into it you asked to go find when you name called. Voila!"

No, no, no. HA, ha, ha. First of all what you wrote makes no sense. Secondly, you are out of your friggin'mind. Do you don't want me posting that you begged me to come back and abuse you some more? Doesn't matter, I wouldn't do that since I don't lie. Now, Art, find the post, copy and paste and then it's proof. Otherwise you're just spreading the stuff I try not to step in. Come on, Art, I suspect you keep this stuff in a diary somewhere. "July, 12 - Jan called me names. I am sure now Jan doesn't like me."

"What a splendid person you are... "

I'm rubber, you're glue, Bounces off of me and sticks to you! Braaaaaaaaaaaap! Did you just copy and paste that "splendid person" reply?

""Just leave me alone and stop posting things without engaging your brain."

I will post as I see fit and not as you see fit."

ROTFL. I mean really ROTFL! Really!!!! REALLY!!!!!!!! Do you realize how adolescent you sound? Do you realize how stooooooooopid you sound? "Wahhhhh, you don't like me." Go get a sophomore to pin you, Art, maybe you'll get asked to homecoming.

""This has been going on for years now. A few (always the same) people get p!ssed when I prove them wrong, call me names and stomp off only to quickly return."

Hogwash. You didn't prove me wrong in fact all ... "

Art ... oh, man, ... Art, I didn't have to prove you wrong. In "fact"? Art, the facts prove you wrong. Everybody knows you're wrong. Nuck said you were wrong. Bush said you were wrong. You just don't want to be wrong, Art. So, defend your statement. That's all you have to do. That's where all this "you don't like me" crap began. Defend or explain what you meant in your post from Friday, September 15, 2006 - 12:09 pm. That's all you have to do, just defend that statement that Iraqi Muslims were responsible for 9-11. Don't feed me any crap about not having to do what I tell you. Stop acting like a child and just defend the statement! You wrote it, I assume you believe it. Come on, widdle, Artums, defend your widdle statement.

You are wrong! Wrong. And your implication that any dead Muslim is as good as any other dead Muslim is disgusting and revolting. You have got your head so far upyourass, I'm surprised you can hear Rush. And you will not admit you're wrong. You think attacking me will make you right. You think crying that I don't like you will make everyone forget how wrong and how disgusting the statement is.

Wrong.

ROTFL, ROTFL, ROTFL, ROTFL ... ROTFPILSDH (rolling on the floor puking I'm laughing so damn hard!!!!!) What a child. What a sick little child.

You want to end this, Art? Defend the statement! Otherwise, you're a coward. Defend the statement or else it's you that wants this BS to go on. Do it, Art, just do it! Defend the statement or be a little worm that just wants to cry about not being liked.

You know something, Art? I don't like you. Put that in your diary today.

Gold Member
Username: Rick_b

Orlando, FL

Post Number: 1413
I picked today to see what was going on.

Sorry to say nothing has really changed..........

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 3557
My my it appears that Jan has busted a gasket.....Don't forget we are all just names on a forum...LOL!!!!!!

No Jan I don't have to respond to any of your comments and no it doesn't make me a coward or wrong it just means that I'm not going to convince you of my position and you won't convince me of yours. Woopee! There's a revelation....

Now go on and show us all some more of that little temper (tantrum).

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 3558
"And your implication that any dead Muslim is as good as any other dead Muslim is disgusting and revolting."

I'm sorry I hadn't noticed this lie. Jan, do you have any idea what my religious affiliation is...I thought not. I studied the Qur'an for years and have much respect for Islam.

As I said earlier you love to put words in other folks mouths or posts if you will and pretend that they actually said it. You are quite deluded...what a shame.

"just defend that statement that Iraqi Muslims were responsible for 9-11."

Please find for me where I said that. See Jan I'm not going to defend statements that I didn't make. I suggest that since you have made up these statements that perhaps you should defend them after all they are your words not mine.

Like I said I'll not be bullied by the likes of you...

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 9157

This conversation is over.

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 4169
Thankfully.

Gold Member
Username: Larry_r

Naples, FL

Post Number: 1553
Nuck, et al - - I read with great interest about the glassy/classy new and beautiful Opera House in Toronto. Makes me want to come up there pronto - to Toronto! Y'all must be quite proud!
After all, there in your Capital city, it would probably be rude of me to say anything like "how come they put the opera house there instead of in Canada's largest city, Saskatoon?"
Hmm. . .think it's time I brushed up on my French and paid a visit to my cousins up NE of Kee-bek City. (grin)
Respectfully. . .LarryR
(writing from the capital of Florida, Naples)

Gold Member

Post Number: 4170
http://www.fourseasonscentre.ca/

Larry, come quick, before all we have are beersicles.

Bronze Member
Username: Asimo

Ramat-GanIsrael

Post Number: 66
Last week I looked at the forum as I do from time to time to find some audio achievements or classical music DVD/CD recommendation but instead I found a very interesting political debate.
It is interesting because that issue of Moslems try to dictate way of life of the free world is becoming a closer and more personal problem. It is not anymore far away at Afghanistan, Iraq, Albania or Israel. It is a problem of Europe USA Australia Canada ect.
The Moslems expansion and Islam enforcing is a very controversial issue. There are different opinions about how the western world should behave, anyhow I think that identifying and focusing the problem is necessary and is critical in order to find a solution.
Back to audio and music. Since I have NAD C160, C270, C542 combo I am very happy. My Sonus Faber Concertino's speaker came to life and express the music very nice. Still I think about some higher grade Sonus Faber like "Electa Amator" or even used "Cremona Auditor" 4000$ new.

My Rantz
Do you still have the B&W 602 speakers I think that the NAD pre power combo can run almost any speaker including some very sophisticated

Larry R
Have you see new operas lastly? We had a very long summer vacation at the opera house and concert halls

SM
Are you back in the forum? What new audio gear do you have now.

Best regards to all

Silver Member

Australia

Post Number: 847
Asimo

Nice to see you back here. Yes I still have the 602's (four + a LCR 600) but two connected to our C272 so I use that and the C162 for stereo listening (C542) and the other three channels go through our Marantz SR7300 for hi res surround music (Denon DVD2900) and movies. Like you I am very happy with our NAD kit. Also I recently heard Cremona speakers here ($12000AU) with a new Krell system. Very impressive, but for a total of $35000+ well??????

Gold Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 1554
Asimo: long time no read, my friend. No, sorry, I can't say that I've had any opera experiences this summer. Too busy with family problems and now a car that won't work properly and plans and projects prior to what Merri and I hope will be a spring move to South Carolina. Sigh. Oh, I still listen to my opera CDs and watch an occasional act or two on DVD - haven't forgotten about the "Golden Genre" of music, my friend!

Nuck: Thanks for the link. Stunning - just plain stunning. Makes me want to save my nickels (those are the small coins that once were actually worth something) to try to get there for a personal audition. Which - sigh - will probably not happen soon.
Oh, yes - and thanks for not "flaming" me for my rather obvious tongue-in-cheek city references!

Respectfully. . .LarryR

Gold Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 1555
All: Well, my toyota-fighting days are over. The dealer finally agreed to buy back the car, minus tax and fees, and after considering our options, we took the deal.

We are now semi-proud owners of a Honda Accord LX V6 car - and hope, hope, hope for the best! Sigh.

Respectfully. . .LR

Gold Member

Post Number: 4199
Happy motoring, Lar.
How's the stereo?

Silver Member

Australia

Post Number: 858
Larry, du und Mer verdienen ein feines Auto und ich bin sicher, daAY die Honda Accord LX dir viele Stunden des Fahrens des VergnA¼gens gibt. Deutsche Autos sind an zweiter Stelle zu keinen.

The Honda is a German car, right? I mean you do hope for the best :-)

Congrats Larry - I'm sure it will be a fine auto. I like Hondas.

Silver Member

Australia

Post Number: 859
Nuck.

I awoke to some good laffs. Ta muchly!

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 3561
I've had good luck with Honda's and I hope you do too Larry. Enjoy!

Gold Member
Username: John_s

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 1100
Larry, that new Accord of yours was assembled up the road from me (Marysville, OH), and I can tell you there's not many manufacturers of anything that have such commitment to quality. I'll bet this car will be the best you have owned. Ultimately, when it comes to getting from here to there reliably, sound quality becomes secondary. Besides, good sound in a car is difficult, if not impossible.

Gold Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 1556
John S - not worried about the build quality, which is very good. But the ride! Ouch! I've probably never ridden in such a hard-riding car! Poor Mer was in tears today, her bad back and all. . .sigh.
Sound? Well - let me put it this way - I'll be putting in new speakers within a month - but the 6-disc CD player seems pretty good, as is the FM radio.
A fun car to drive - but HARSH! Sigh. BTW, the "great JBL" system in the Camry went down the tubes very quickly. The Toyota shop replaced most of it besides the speakers, but it never quite sounded as good after that. Hmm. . . .

My Rantz: Yah, dis isht un Tgerman car - and who are you kidding, sir! (double grin)
We came very close to buying a VW Passat, like our friend Simply McIntosh drives - but Mer nixed it because it has to use premium, not regular, gas. And that car, MR, IS German! Really. . .(grin)

Maybe a bicycle next time????

respectfully. . .LR

Gold Member

Post Number: 4205
Larr, putting money into a new car is hard to swallow sometimes, but a new set of tyres can soften things up quite a bit.
The rubber from the factory is hard for fuel economy and low rolling resistance. Softer and taller tires can soften things up to a comfortable level for Mer, perhaps?

You are not driving Miss Daisy, but it shouldn't hurt, either.

Silver Member

Australia

Post Number: 860
Make up your mind Nuckster - tyres or tires. Or are you Canucks bi?

Larry - you are driving Miss Mer in a sports bred machine - tell her of the safety aspect of firm suspension. Now you can listen to Nuck and if that doesn't work you can try just letting some air out of those tyres (note- tyres do tire and in your country tires tire) You people sure talk funny.

[grin]

Gold Member

Post Number: 4207
I did it on porpoise.
Lowering tire pressure will lead to heat buildup, accelerated tire wear and unstable operation at highway speeds.

MR, of course Canadians are bi-lingual. I just cannot decide which language to murder first! hehe

Silver Member

Australia

Post Number: 861
Yes but at highway speeds, the air gets hotter and expands. Of course my comment was tongue in cheek - though newly delivered cars have been known to have overinflated rubber (just like their prices). And Nuck, if anyone can murder a bl00dy language it's we flamin' ozzies, mate!

Gold Member

Orlando, FL

Post Number: 1414
I've always understood you perfectly Rantz.

I quess that says a lot about me. LOL!

Gold Member

Post Number: 4209
Pop goes the bottle...weasel be damned!

Silver Member

Australia

Post Number: 864
Rick - always knew you were a highly intelligent gent LOL!

Gold Member

Post Number: 4212
Welcome again, Rick.
Just as the waters clear, I see. Good call.

Rick, if you wander over to Integrated amps, a nice fellow named Tyler is looking for info that you might be able to share.
I told him to look for you.
Tubes and such.
Seems a likeable chap who wants into tubes.

The more the better informed when it comes to old dogs, I figgur.

Gold Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 1557
All: I'm jest "tired" of the whole subject! Ordered some Boston Acoustics apeakers for the back car-deck today. They should at least improve the aural qualities of the car. . .(?) If you could see the "stock" speakers you'd know why . . .I think the magnets on them weigh in at about a quarter-ounce! No wonder I get CD-fuzz!!!!

Most people seem to get Alpines or JBLs or Polks - but the Boston Acoustics are much better for classical and jazz. . .I hope.

Nice if Mer has hogged the living room for her TV shows - I can away to the garage for some "surround sound" in the car - and it can't run very rough whilst sitting still! (grin)

respectfully. . .LR

Gold Member

Orlando, FL

Post Number: 1415
The last haven of seclusion for men. The garage. The only space in a home we can truly claim as our own.

Spend most of my free time there Larry LOL!

Thank you Rantz, you are indeed a gentleman and a scholar.

Thanks for the welcome back Nuck.

Silver Member

Australia

Post Number: 865
Every now and then something special comes along and must be shared:

http://www.j-notes.com/archives/2006/07/18/randy_crawford_joe_sample_feel_1.php

Vocals, musicianship and recording all first rate. Great jazz with a touch of blues, rock and soul. After one listen - outstanding!

Rick - you are right on, except maybe for the gentleman and scholar bit :-)

Gold Member

Post Number: 4239
Geez, MR, that's an expensive import over here.
I will order it on your rec, though.

Silver Member

Australia

Post Number: 867
Uh Oh!

Gold Member

Post Number: 4241
BlameRantz.com

Gold Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 1558
Rick: from one "garage rat" to another - hmm - spending more time than usual out there now.

Regarding the Honda's hard ride and dubious stereo sound - we "accidentally" came upon an improvement for both - on the Internet.

A woman in California posted on a stereo forum that she did the following to help both road noise and stereo sound quality from the rear speakers.

Bought 2 50-pound bags of sand. at Home Depot. Bought two rubber-backed bath rugs at Wal-Mart.

Put the smaller rug as far back in the trunk as possible. Put the two bags of sand on top of the rug, with the long dimension facing the car sides, to prevent shifting.

Put the second, larger rug over the rest of the trunk space. That's it.

Well - Mer and I duplicated that - and, to our amazement, we found the ride suddenly smoother and quieter, and the sound from the rear speakers more balanced and less "boomy."

We took the car out for nearly an hour, and concluded that this is one fix that actually works!

Sigh - now, if the rest of our lives could be settled down that easily!

MR - you are, indeed a scholar and a gentlemen - just like Rick B. et al on this forum. . . . .

Respectfully. . .LarryR

Silver Member

Australia

Post Number: 868
Larry - seems where there's a will, there's happy inheritors - no, sorry - I mean there's a way!

Glad it worked out and you're both happier with your new wheels. Drive carefully.

Nuck - if you don't like that CD I'll eat my chocolate :-)

Silver Member
Username: Sem

New York USA

Post Number: 628
Larry, yes. I think you'll get a smoother ride with the added weight in the rear - of the car that is. Also your tires should likely wear a bit more consistently since your back tires won't be hopping along behind you. Good luck.

Gold Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 1559
Sem, et al: Very funny - extra rear-weight! Hey! I've notice that in the mirror. . .hmm. (grin)

Anyway - told the (lady) service manager at the Fort Myers, FL, Honda dealer about my sandbag project, and she said it sounded like a great idea - and that she'd pass it along to several customers who complain about the Honda's stiff ride.

Tomorrow - Boston Acoustics 6x9 speakers go into the rear deck. Can hardly wait - the stock speakers sound mushy. as well they should with their nearly-invisible magnets! Will advise on sound. . .

And if anybody out there has replaced FRONT speakers on a Honda - let me know. The instructions I have are so scary that I wouldn't touch the project! Calls for basically tearing apart the whole door.

I know - this ought-ah be in "Car Stereo" threads, but I like to talk with friends, not strangers. . .

respectfully. . .LarryR

Silver Member

Australia

Post Number: 875
And some folks in FL think the sandbag shortage is due to a predicted hurricane.

About talking to strangers Larry - you listened!

Gold Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 1560
Sweet, sweet sound! as in "yum." Mer and I ripped apart and put back together the rear end of the Honda this evening - and slipped in Boston Acoustic S95 6x9 two-way speakers. Managed to lose some attachment clips for the covers along the way - so will have to order some new ones from Honda. Double sigh. . .

Anyway - got all hooked up, thanks to the Crutchfield installation kit that provides connectors to the Honda wiring harness.

Put in an Oscar Peterson CD, and let the tunes role on - which they did - beautifully! Mer allowed as how she couldn't believe the difference - and I just sat there and reveled in the sound.

Hefted the Honda and BA speakers - and the Honda one nearly floated off my hand the magnet was so light. The BA speakers are HEAVY!

OK - got sand in my rear (end of the car) and speakers on my car-shelf - life is better. . . .(grin)

MR - sometimes I think everybody's a stranger. . . .

respectfully. . .LarryR

Silver Member

Australia

Post Number: 878
Larry - I hope the sound won't be too grainy now :-)

Okay, I just picked up 5 cd's from my po box. The quandry - do I work or do I take the rest of the day for listening pleasure?

Hmmmm . . .

Silver Member

Lewisville, Tx USA

Post Number: 191
Larry, about 10-11 years ago I bought a 67 Plymouth Fury III convertible. Then bought a second so I could part it out for the first. My daughter who was 12 or 13 at the time observed me at the peak of when I had the entire interior out, switched from sun burned cracked white to worn black, and was cutting in 4 Blaupunkpt speakers, a sub, crossover, and 3 amps. (I wanted to hear a Pink Floyd concert at 100 mph with the top down). Anyway, she looked at the bare floor boards and naked doors and said "If you ever get it back together I'll be impressed" then went on her way. I think it was meant to encourage. I pulled it off. Doors aren't as intimidating as they appear. The reward should be worth the risk.

Off track for a moment, it had a 383 blueprinted bored out to a 400 big block, glass packs, headers, riser, etc. I added a shift kit, hemi torque converter and trans, high output Alternator, voltage regulator and battery only to find out that I had to shut it down at 115 mph with 1" of pedal left due to lack of aerodynamics. It would go to 75 mph in 2nd gear. The perfect "sleeper".

Gold Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 1561
MR - take the day off. Life is too short to get bogged down with, uh, "work." (grin) G-day, mate!!!

Michael: after reading as much of your posting as I could understand (I'm not a "car guy") I decided that my 6-cylinder Honda is just fine the way it is! (grin) Heck, I had it up to 74 mph yesterday, which is about as fast as I'll admit to going. . . .
I've got two chaps chumming on me on the Accord Forum to "do" the front door speakers. However, I decided that I was - truly - "chicken." Sigh. The sound stays where it is. . .

Grainy sound? Well, here in Flawed-duh! ain' no udder kind, what wid all dem beaches and wind and stuff!!! Good jibe though, MR. . . .

Respectfully. . .LarryR

Silver Member

Lewisville, Tx USA

Post Number: 194
I am sure you're Honda is just fine the way it is! I was not getting down on your Honda, just trying to encourage you to take a chance on the doors.

I guess grainy sounds beats doors panels floppin loose with gaping holes in them....LOL

Bronze Member
Username: Jazzwannabe

Post Number: 27
Do I work or do I take the rest of the day for listening pleasure?

MR, never ever let work get in the way of pleasure, period.

Cheers!

Don

Silver Member

Australia

Post Number: 879
Don/Larry

Well, I tried to do both. Usually I find the music just goes by without my really hearing it when I'm working - nice to have the background of course. But, the music won out for the most part - and what great music it was:

Make This City Ours - Claire Martin
Friday Night Special - Janis Siegal
Blues In The Night - Ann Hampton Callaway*
On The Moon - Peter Cincotti
Dreamer - Eliane Elias

Good to see you back Don. As you can see, Larry's been trying to sandbag everyone - if all the Honda owners listen to him - well - let's just say watch the gas prices. [Kidding Larry]

Silver Member

Australia

Post Number: 880
SACD - keeps on keeping on. Or so it seems . . .

http://www.highfidelityreview.com/news/news.asp?newsnumber=15587172

The latest pure DSD recording from Telarc, Ann Hampton Calloway's Blues In The Night is a good example of why SACD should survive through the format wars.

Gold Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 1562
Don: Whew! Thought you were a gonner! (grin) glad U R are actually with us!

MR -Hey, mate, yew ain' seen nothin' 'til you see a Flawed-duh! "sandbagging!" (grin) They just released a report today showing that all of our shoreline is polluted, scarred with debris and sickening with the runoffs from hundreds of golf courses and "big sugar" whose major plantations are upstream from us. Double sigh.
We can no longer go to the shore - and the situation threatens tourism. . .which is another reason Mer wants to get outta town before it is too late!

The Honda rolls merrily along - took it to the shop today, and it took them two tries to get it aligned. Sigh. Spent ALL day there - but finished reading a book, so all was not lost. Double sigh. . . .

I'm thinking about trading all in for a couple of very nice bicycles. . . .

respectfully. . . .LarryR

Gold Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 1108
MR---caught Ann Hampton Callaway last Fri. night in a beautifully refurbished hotel theater here. What a voice!

MUSIC REVIEW
COLUMBUS JAZZ ORCHESTRA

CALLAWAY PROVIDES SOME PEP
Published: Saturday, September 23, 2006

By Gary Budzak
THE COLUMBUS DISPATCH

Singer Ann Hampton Callaway sizzled in the Columbus Jazz Orchestra's 2006-07 season opener last night in the Southern Theatre.

Callaway's voice, along with her wit and intelligence, proved overwhelming for the opening concert in the orchestra's "Great American Songbook" series.

Nearly everything she sang was great, from the opening Swinging Away the Blues, to the sultry Teach Me Tonight, the pretty Cole Porter song I Don't Know Enough About You, a rousing Blue Moon and the hot Blues in the Night, the title track of her latest CD.

The only misstep was on Lover Come Back to Me, which showed off her speedy delivery but was too rushed to savor.

When Callaway performed with the orchestra in 2003, she paid tribute to Ella Fitzgerald. Last night, it was Peggy Lee.

My mother said 'Less is more.' I never listened to her, but I listened to Peggy Lee," Callaway said, before singing the sweet I Don't Know Enough About You. Next came a smoldering, finger-snapping version of Fever.

Callaway's pianist, Ted Rosenthal, ably led the orchestra during her portion of the concert.

Callaway not only gave the audience a "diva blessing" and a "diva hug," she also did a "Columbus, Ohio, love song." In an amazing feat of extemporaneous composition, she used the audience's suggestions -- Brutus, capital, Long Street, High Street, Broad Street, OSU, Cowtown, jazz, shoe, Woody, Blue Jackets -- and turned it into a funny love song, rhyming "siren" with "Byron" in the chorus as she played the piano and Columbus Jazz Orchestra artistic director Byron Stripling played trumpet.

Stripling noted Callaway's "perfect intonation and a sense of swing" when he introduced her. Some in the audience marveled at the control Callaway has of the instrument that is her voice, and wondered why she isn't better known. Let's hope that changes soon.

Silver Member

Australia

Post Number: 882
John S - thanks, I couldn't agree more, and I'd really like to see/hear her live, though rarely do we get such treats here. Callaway is sensational - amazing control - then so is Siegal (both ex Manhatten Transfer) and the same with Martin. Cincotti and Elias aren't bad either.

Larry - that's bad news about the water in FA. We have similar problems here affecting the Great Barrier Reef as well as main inland water sources, but we aren't on the same scale - yet!

Gold Member

Post Number: 4259
So...I picked up a Hitachi 42" plasma TV today, and a stand for the TV and the lighter gear to sit on. The stand was a great price, and is powder coated black with thick smoked tempered glass shelves. Well and good.
However, there are large stick labels on the glass shelves, advising against high and low temperatures, as well as the admonishment for using abrasive cleansers on the glass.
The labels, of course, cannot be removed without the use of scalding water or abrasive scrubby pads.

Welcome to my world...

Gold Member
Username: John_a

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 4532
A razor blade, Nuck...

Carefully! Patience.

Gold Member

Post Number: 4262
Thank-you, John, however, common sense and 3 fingers of Scotch say stay away from sharp objects. Mrs. Nuck will not even let me do the dishes(I cooked tonight anyhow).

I applied a little 'goo be gone' and it shines perfectly.

The new sub (Velodyne DSP12) is also in piano black, matching the speakers and new mount. Rather classy, I must say.

I opened with my mount bid to wake up the dogs...you is one pup who don't sleep in anyhow!

If all goes well, I should have all the stuff up and running tonight, with the little sub.

Cheers all around!

Silver Member

New York USA

Post Number: 629
Excellent Nuck!! I'm currently spending some time in Minnesota. What movies do you have on tap? Wonder if I'll be able to hear you...? :-)

Gold Member

Post Number: 4264
Hello again, Sem.
Currently running James Taylor Live, the sub is cosieing in a corner now, quite happy.
I ran PF, numb, and got a few complaints from upstairs, even given the warning that I would play loud-ish.
I still cannot find the bass in the listening room that I seek, but I am following up on a few room panels and traps that should do the trick.

You do get around, Sem! Lemme know if you get around to this side of the fortified fence!

The door is open(weekends, o' course).

Gold Member

Post Number: 4266
Oh hey John, I got the little darlings off with ut a nick!
Look at the time, the neighbors wanted to borrow my biggest sharpest scissors. Must run...

Silver Member

New York USA

Post Number: 630
Well thanks Nuck. Living in upstate NY, it's easy for us to "cross over." I really love Canada and have visited there many times over the years, the last being Aug '05 when my wife and I, along with some friends, spent a few days in Quebec City. A truely charming city although one needs more than the four days we spent there to fully appreciate it. We hope to go back someday.
With retirement closing in, my dream is to have a cottage on a lake somewhere in Canada to spend my summers fishing, (spent many summer vacations as a kid at Rideau Lake area), and a condo down south, somewhere to spend snow-free winters. My wife, unfortunately, has a different view looking forward.

Oh, and to keep this post somewhat on topic, I hear that JT live at the Beacon is a fantastic dvd. Is that the one you were watching?

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 9187

Axiom Audiofile Newsletter; September 2006

The answer to the HD-DVD/Blu-ray war?

According to The Wall Street Journal, there might be a solution to the Blu-ray/HD-DVD debacle in the form of a new patent for a three-layer optical disc. The patent application, filed by three employees of Warner Bros., calls for a "multilayer dual optical disc" with three layers of data: one that could be in either CD or the existing DVD standard, a second layer that would be HD-DVD, and a third in the competing Blu-ray format. The report notes that "such a disc could help studios and consumers solve the problem of deciding between Blu-ray and HD-DVD."

Hmmmm, and a new player to buy to play these discs. That's obviously a good solution.

Silver Member

Australia

Post Number: 885
I think the solution is for the discs to play on any player: Blu-Ray, HD-DVD or DVD. It seems like a good idea provided there aren't disc thickness problems like the DualDiscs have. I think the Rental stores would certainly like this idea. The bottmom line though, is will either of these formats take hold?

Gold Member

Post Number: 4268
Yet another 'uni' player on the horizon, perhaps?

Sem, JT at the Beacon is a terrific disc, for the sound, Video is horrid, using the MTV 'flick and flutter' scheme.
The audio is perfect, quite literally, in stereo.

A real treat, one of our fav's!

Gold Member

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 4534
Culture shock. Sting does Dowland. On Deutsche Grammophon. Songs from the Labyrinth.

What a strange world. This I must hear...

Sorry I have no views on triple-layer optical discs, nor on car audio systems! Always good to read this thread, though. Glad you got the labels off, Nuck!

Silver Member

Lewisville, Tx USA

Post Number: 199
Posting this here as I do not know where else to post it.

I had an epiphany of sorts yesterday. I am always trying to queue something up on occasion that will attract Marsh. Too often I hear "turn that down / off" when I queue up a CD or album.

Well yesterday it finally happened. I found in my collection a boxed set titled "The Best Song Hits Of Today". 4 LPs, Robert Goulet, Johnny Mathis, Patti Page, Percy Faith, etc., etc. Started playing these. Talk about hitting home runs. Marsh heard Robert Goulet on MacArthur Park followed by Johnny Mathis and emerged from the bedroom to sit in the listening seat. This is a first.

The music, especially Patti Page's rendition of "Honey (I Miss You), made all of my efforts to build a system worthwhile. She found a place where her and her Dad (passed 2 years ago) had with the music he loved. It was indescribable as to her just being absorbed by the music asking me to replay particular tracks. I do not imagine her Dad playing anything but LPs back then. It was quite emotional for her and I do not know what to say to describe for me.

Thank you all again (you know who YOU are) for your help in enabling me to get here with my system. How good or how bad my system is not being the point. The fact that I could spin some vinyl was pretty special to allow her to revisit that time with her Dad.

Silver Member

Australia

Post Number: 889
Michael, Marsh is your better half I take it? If so, congrats, you found the emotional connection. Sometimes, there's nothing nicer than sitiing with your love and getting into the music, well er, almost nothing. Cheers.

Silver Member

Australia

Post Number: 890
John, well I hope Mr Sting can do Dowland some justice. Not that I know Dowland, it's just that I find Sting doesn't do much justice to anything these days. His voice does "sting" in more recent years almost painfully. Guess I'm getting old.

Gold Member

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 4536
My Rantz; Dowland was the greatest. A singer-songwriter-instrumentalist. If Mr Sting gets him more widely known, multi-tracking an' all, then that's all to the good.

Michael - that's a fine and moving post. When was "today"? Sounds like the 1960s...

Username: Lalo

Post Number: 10
Hi everyone, I hope to be in the right forum where someone can help me, I just wanna know if there is a way to convert stereo outputs to 5.1 `cause i have an old sanyo dvd with r,l outputs and a friend gift me a daewoo surround set with 6 inputs. Can anyone help me? i`ll really apreciate. THANX

Gold Member

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 4538
Eduardo: probably Home Theater > Surround Sound would be better thread to put that question. A Dolby Prologic processor makes 5.1 out of two-channel inputs, and is in many AV receivers these days. But it is probably better to acquire a player that will read all the channels on the disc, and has six outputs.

Gold Member

Post Number: 4275
Michael, I am so glad for the shared experience you got to share with Marsh. It is sometimes a smell, a pie, a fair. It is sometimes a taste, the pie(mmm pie) or a turkey dinner remembered. But, as always, the sounds, ahh the sounds, which are the same presentation to us all, but can hold such memories as to cast us back to the last time, or the time before.

Or the times we revere most.

Best wishes, and happy memories, indeed, the memories never fade. Cotton candy does, and quickly.

Gold Member

Post Number: 4293
Well, just because everyone seems to be on holiday, I will copy my post to Tim's reference recordings post here.

Although it may not be to everyone's tastes, I suggest a run at John Mellencamp's 'uh huh'.
If you are so inclined, track 4 'play guitar' has exposed itself as an A#1 rock track.
The rest of the disc speaks for itself.
Highly recommended.
Very highly.

Silver Member

Australia

Post Number: 898
Back from a week away on the sunshine Coast where my wife and I had an enjoyable time at our luxury beachfront penthouse enjoying local cuisine, breathtaking views of the Pacific and frolicking Humpback whales, long walks and almost getting blown away from the relentless cold winds which persisted from the second day of our arrival.

Upload

The area we visited is also the home of Australia's Spendor speaker importer and we visited in order to get a demo. Unfortunately, he was in the process of moving locations and the new showroom was being remodelled. He invited us to visit his partner's house the next day (even though I said we were only researching and not buying) where he had a few models we could audition. He suggested we follow his 1200cc BMW motor cycle, but we invited him to come with us for the 15 min journey (I even offered to drive his motor cycle and let him take our car, but he seemed somewhat reluctant). Anyhow, he set up the Spendour S5e's, S8e's and S9e's with Naim CDP and Nait5i integrated amp as well as a pair of valve monoblocks with a Quad preamp. We were very, very impressed with what we heard and the S8e's we both considered to be the best for the money, thought the S9e's were a tad better overall - the 5's were good but lacked a little in the low end imo. The standout thing with these speakers was their fabulous clean, sweet midrange.

This pleasant dealer went out of his way for us and offered to let us take a pair of Spendors back with us to trial in our home. We declined but may do so in the future if and when we decide to upgrade. He did give us a couple of sets of interconnects to try and I must say, though they are rather expensive, are very impressive. see my thoughts on this thread:

https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-audio/278127.html

Gold Member

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 4542
Great post, MR. Thanks. Did you take the photo..?

Silver Member

Australia

Post Number: 899
Thanks John. We saw quite a few humpbacks on the first two days then none until our last day there. I shot them from the balcony of our apartment using our Sony F717. Unfortunately almost every time I put the camera down one of these magnificent creatures would leap out of the sea and land with a huge splash - I just couldn't time it to get one of those shots - darn it! Looking at them through binoculars was sensational.

Gold Member

Post Number: 4347
Rantz, that seems a fabulous trip!
Here's to a safe return and all the memories of a great journey.
You spoke of an exposure to the tastes of the North there.
I would be very interested in the cuisine, and bbq'ing in particular.
I have a family member rather vested in the Q'ing, you see.

Oh and we in the eating end of things!!!

Post or e-mail, please!
Thanks.

J

Gold Member

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 4543
MR I had the same experience once trying to photograph Pacific Grey Whales in N. California. You see it, and it's gone before you can compose a shot.

BTW In one week, here in UK, Sting's "Song's from the Labyrinth" has gone to number 1 in the classical charts, number 24 in the pop charts.

Silver Member

Australia

Post Number: 900
The public is fickle John. Sting seems to like that type of music as I have heard him sing (or try to) in similar styles over the years. Maybe his voice is mellowing a little (harsh and grating to me) but I didn't mind some of the old Police numbers (have a MC SACD which isn't too bad).

I see McCartney has finally completed his classical compositions - all well and good I suppose, though I wonder if some of these guys aren't just trying to jusify their excessively rewarded existences by hobnobbing with the world of cultcha to disclaim their more humble beginnings. Not to insinuate the classics taste pertains soley to the upper crust (as the Brits would say), I just have a habit of casting a sceptical eye at people more and more these days.

Gold Member

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 4545
I agree with that, My Rantz.

However Sting certainly seems serious about Dowland. There's a lot there to get interested in.

I suppose a performer like Sting can afford to take risks. If "Songs from the Labyrinth" is nevertheless a commercial success, that's all to the good, imho.

Having said that, Universal seemed to be taking no risks with promotion. Over here, Sting and Edin Karamazov, his Bosnian lutenist friend, were on about every chat and current affairs programme, two weeks ago. It was plugged relentlessly. No harm in that, either.

Gold Member

Post Number: 4365
Kids, if you want no-wheresville for the music, come to Gettysburg, PA.
Awful, horrid outlook for the weekend.
Bah!
Go Cards.

Gold Member

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 4548
A fine Address, though....

Gold Member

Post Number: 4370
Interesting item I happened across, John. For all of the fame and importance to the US citizens, the Gettysburg address was something like 79 words in length.

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 9252

And not a "um", "uh" or "you know, like" among them.

Gold Member

Post Number: 4383
I believe that Winston Churchill's famous 'never surrender' speech was as pointful and abbrevious as well.
Where have all of the eloquent speakers surrendered to? I am oblivious towards empty headed blather in my advancing years(except my own), and still await a speaker, or leader, posessed of eloquence and urgent brevity.
Just say it man, for Godsakes!

Gold Member

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 4549
Lincoln's Gettysburg Address, given November 19, 1863 on the battlefield near Gettysburg, Pennsylvania, USA.

That's the America I admire, and salute.

Gold Member

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 4550
M.R.;-

McCartney's venture into cultch is slated in "Gramophone". They liked Sting, though.

McCartney is all over the UK newspapers for being mean to his ex-wife, so she says. Probably you get that, too.

Gold Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 1146
I've never been the biggest Beatles fan, but it is difficult for me to believe Paul could be mean to anyone.

On another note, could this be the perfect gift for that solid state owning audiophile in your family?

http://www.uncommongoods.com/item/item.jsp?itemId=12957

The Fender knob is a nice touch don't you think?

Check out the record bowls at the bottom.

Gold Member

Post Number: 4417
Christmas giving for audio nerds.
Perfect!
Thanks, John.

Silver Member

Australia

Post Number: 902
John, yes the Paul/Heather drama is filling the news services here as well. Mean Mr Mustard! Who knows - perhaps the Walrus :-) Haven't heard McCartney's classical work as yet so no comment, but usually it's best to stick to what one does well.

John S - I'm just an average size Beatles fan and would never wish to be the biggest :-)

Nuck - watch that credit card.

Gold Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 1149
Yes, I should lose a few £'s.
coo coo ka choo

Gold Member

Post Number: 4420
Thanks for the post, John.
I will now have S&G in my head the rest of the day.
I believe it is called an 'ear worm', albeit with something better than a jingle.

I am sure that I have that cd here somewhere...dig, dig...

Gold Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 1150
Actually I was trying to recall "I Am The Walrus" as per M.R.'s reference above. Apparently it's supposed to be "goo goo g' joob".

I am he as you are he as you are me
and we are all together
See how they run like pigs from a gun
see how they fly
I'm crying
Sitting on a cornflake
Waiting for the van to come
Corporation T-shirt, stupid bl**dy Tuesday
Man you've been a naughty boy
you let your face grow long

I am the eggman
they are the eggmen
I am the walrus
Goo goo g' joob

Mr. city policeman sitting
pretty little policemen in a row
See how they fly like Lucy in the sky
See how they run
I'm crying
I'm crying, I'm crying
Yellow matter custard
Dripping from a dead dog's eye
Crabalocker fishwife
Pxrnxgrxphic priestess
Boy, you've been a naughty girl
you let your knickers down

I am the eggman
They are the eggmen
I am the walrus
Goo goo g' joob

Sitting in an English garden
waiting for the sun
If the sun don't come you get a tan
from standing in the English rain

I am the eggman
They are the eggmen
I am the walrus
Goo goo g' joob

Expert, texpert choking smokers
don't you think the joker laughs at you
See how they smile like pigs in a sty
See how they snide
I'm crying
Semolina pilchard
climbing up the Eiffel tower
Elementary penguin singing Hare Krishna
Man, you should have seen them kicking
Edgar Allan Poe

I am the eggman
They are the eggmen
I am the walrus
Goo goo g' joob
Goo goo g' joob
Goo goo g' goo
goo goo g' joob goo
juba juba juba
juba juba juba
juba juba juba juba
juba juba

(can't quote Beatles lyrics around here without some censorship)

Gold Member

Post Number: 4421
Of course...my predeliction for non-rememberance of all things Beatles led me to Simon and Garfunkle. Sorry. But then again, there are so many songs with coo coo ka choo involved, I hope you can understand my predicament. Must be dozens.

Silver Member

Australia

Post Number: 903
I saw the concert for George DVD today. There were some moving moments. The Beatles are probably one of the significent reminders of my youth (one that seemed to stretch into too many decades). It was eerie seeing Dhani Harrison on stage - he is George to the tee. I must admit to a tear in the eye towards the end. Where has it all gone?

Thanks for the lyrics JS. when I saw coo coo ka choo I was almost inclined to post "gesundheit" back to you.

Nuck, S & G, now there's a bridge over troubled waters. They'll always remind me of the young Dustin Hoffman.

Gold Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 1151
And Mrs. Robinson.
wo wo wo, and
hey hey hey

Gold Member

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 4556
Great Stuff. Forty years ago!

Silver Member

Australia

Post Number: 906
From around forty years ago -

"When I get old and losing my hair, many years from now . . . . . . when I'm sixty four."

- Damn it! Ten years to go and it's happening already. :-(

Gold Member

Post Number: 4430
Rantz, you are truly a man ahead of his time.

Gold Member
Username: Basshead86

Try Google

Post Number: 7864
dang guys...now this is an ongoing thread...

Gold Member
Username: 54danny54

Betsy layne, Kentucky..GO... USA duh

Post Number: 2806
i have a pig benis
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us