Would this work?

Username: Nxt_g3n

Post Number: 1
Hey, I have a fairly new Sony cd player and I was just wondering it has a port in the back where i put the red and black wires and it must be a sub port cause only bass comes out of the speaker thats in it, now that means there would be an amp in the cd player yeah? so if i bought a 4 ohm sub could the cd player handle it because i have two 8 ohm speakers hooked up to make them a 4 ohm load at the moment and it works fine, by the way i know this would work for now, but would there be any permanent damage?

Thanks for your help :-)

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 4887
Red and BLACK?

What are these outs labelled as, Zak?

Post Number: 2
well negative and positive, im sorry i should of said that its late and i just remembered to ask here, so yeah... in the back there are inputs there is a single one it has one black and one red the red being positive and the black being negative, thats the sub input i was wondering if i removed my two 8 ohms and switched it with a 4 ohm sub the way i have my 8 ohms wired they are a 4 ohm load anyway so i cant see the difference however i tend to look past things like that because i want them to work so yeah honest answer would help alot :-)

Gold Member

Post Number: 4889
Zak,I have no idea how you are running a speaker from a cd input.

Is this a HTIB or a mini-system?

If so, I would not run anything but 8ohm speakers of any kind.

Post Number: 3
id say its a mini system from judgement it has 400 rms though, but see the way im running my 2 8 ohm tower speakers (in each tower there is 2 8 inch subs 1 4 inch mid range and a tweeter) i have them parralel so its a 4 ohm load, the same as if i was to buy just a single 4 ohm sub or not? let me try to explain the inputs in the back of the actual head part there are red and black inputs there are 2 for the 2 standard speakers, and then 1 for the sub, i have my 8 ohm towers in that, which of course are running at 4 ohm. I also have 2 neons running off it

Gold Member

Post Number: 4890
Try it and find out. If you are already running a high load on the mini system and it has not yet smoked, you are a lucky man.

It will die in 3...2...1...

Post Number: 4
hmm wait a sec is it possible to get a 4 ohm sub and instead of wiring it to 4 ohm wire to 8 ohm because the sort of sub i want compared to the two i have it would make a difference and this isn't like a crap system i have either it was $550 aus and never gets hot at all with what i got on it

Gold Member

Post Number: 4892
Zak, just a guess, but car subs coming in?
Man, just buy a home sub(with built in amp) and save the hassles.
When you upgrade the rest, you will already have a sub, that way.

Post Number: 5
I was looking at a 12" pioneer actually :P

For 150 - 250$ aus do you think i could find one of the home subs with the amp that would give me the same if not better bass?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us