Subwoofer Recommendations

Silver Member
Username: Arande2

400dB could probably d..., 4000 isnt ev... 100,000dB FU...

Post Number: 155
I was in our local high-end audio joint today to listen in on some of the subs I've seen but not heard.

First things first:Their Reference System
Rotel RDV-1092 Dvd player
Rotel RSP-1098 Surround Processor
Rotel RMB-1095 Amp
Rotel RB-1080 Amp
MartinLogan Summits for all but front centers.
2 MartinLogan Stage Centers
Rear Projection Screen
The 3 Subs I auditioned:
MartinLogan Depth (didn't have time for Descent)
Paradigm Seismic 10 & 12

The system was a 6.1 setup that had the 5 channel amp on all but the centers. The 2 channel one was on the stages. The system was really awesome, but I was there to audition subwoofers. I listened to all three at the same volume level, but I didn't turn it up too loud because I was afraid to (It is too expensive to break!) since I thought it might damage something. Maybe I was being paranoid. ANYWAY!! I didn't get to test the way I wanted to this time but I'll be back... The Seismics didn't sound as clean to me + their control changes bass at 60hz which didn't like compared to the 25hz control on the MartinLogans. I'm more of a power and feel than a Boom BOOM type, as you can tell. I didn't do any of the controlling of the system except volume on the processor so like I said I'll be back.

The MartinLogan sounded cleanest and least muddy and handled the fast transients in the track I listened to. My brother preferred MartinLogan while the other person which was new there thought the Seismic 12 was the only choice possible. If anyone can help recommend these choices I have at this store before I go back for a "REAL" test it would be highly appreciated.

I HAVE ACCESS TO ANY SUB BY THESE BRANDS: MartinLogan, B&W, and Paradigm. Thanks in advance!

Silver Member

Post Number: 164
Come on people I know you're reading it but either don't want to respond or can't think of a recommendation!!!

Well, I was considering it might be a good idea to get more than 1 smaller sub at the same price of 1 bigger one. EX: 7 ML Dynamos or 2 Seismic 10's for the price of a Descent?? Just a thought.

Bronze Member
Username: Rysa3

Houston, Texas

Post Number: 78
You arent asking any questions.

Gold Member
Username: Joe_c

Atlanta, GA

Post Number: 1121
I bought a Jamo D4 sub (two 8" drivers 400w amp) for around $600. It was the best choice for me in that price range. I didn't audition too many different subs in this price range, but the ones I did were velodyne, boston, and other mass market subs with no need to mention. I think that it would hold it's own against simularly priced HSU's and SVS's. The only other option that really tickled my fancy was the do it yourself subwoofer kits from www.partsexpress.com They have what looks like a pretty sweet setup for the money.

Silver Member

Post Number: 173
My problem is I have limited access to the brands mentioned above. How long do the subs from the brands mentioned last? Aha, a question!

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 4944
They will last as long as you take care of them, Andre.

Was that my dad?

Silver Member

Post Number: 177
Lol. I guess that's why this 30+ year old receiver here still works,speakers and all.

Bronze Member
Username: The13thgryphon

Spokane, WA USA

Post Number: 34
Andre,

For what it's worth (and that's not a lot 'cause it's just my personal opinion) I would expect the Martin Logan to be a much more musical sub. They are designed to work with electrostatic panel speakers, and have to be "fast" and clean to be able to do so.

The Paradigm line is a good one, but their Seismic line is designed just as it's name would imply... shake and rattle the house, and create lots of rumble and boom. Can they be used for music rather than movies? Sure. But that's not necessarily their forte. (IMHO)

Personally, I prefer a musical system even in my home theater, and would go with the Martin Logan subs over most others.

Silver Member

Post Number: 179
Well since I'm a musical type I do understand what you mean by this difference in sound and would very much be appreciated by me

Also, when I get a sub I can turn down the boost on my receiver as not to damage it. I usually run it at about -3 to +3 if that tells you anything. The receiver goes from -80 to +32 (no I haven't had it up that high...).
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us