Final Subwoofer Recommendation Please

Username: Charbear

Post Number: 5
Finally narrowed it down to the Hsu STF-2 and the on the Martin Logan Dynamo. Both can be had at this tinme for $399.

Old Adcom Power Amp and Tuner/Preamp Combo. Infinity Beta50 Towers. Listen to 80's Hairband stuff, a lot of Blues and Jazz.

Currne location is small (10x10) but may move to a larger room.

Final recommendations? Thanks!

Bronze Member
Username: Bytesiz

Bangor, Maine USA

Post Number: 26
Did you consider the Onix Rocket ULW-10?

If your stuck with those two choices, I think the Dynamo is a more muscial sub than the Hsu.

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 4882
Dynamo.

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 3730
Dynamo for music....it's the most versatile of the 2 and has excellent build quality which shows when you go to use it. The Hsu will probably play louder but I don't think it sounds as good. I presently own the Dynamo and used to own a Hsu. The Hsu was a fine HT sub and better for music than some might believe but the Dynamo has it beat....not to mention what a steal at $399.

Post Number: 6
Thanks all. Interesting on how opinions differ. I also postd the same scenario on the Home Theater Forum on Audioholics. Hsu got the recommendations there.

Post Number: 7
Meant the Subwoofer Forum at Audioholics.

Gold Member

Post Number: 4894
Well, Richard, trends come and go.
The dynamo was off the main radar here for a while, then Art started poking around and the value came on topic.
I think the dynamo is a great value, the Hsu may or may not have been on sale.
The ML represents value because it is at the end of it's run, and thus proven. Likely being replaced just for freshness sakes, rotate the stock.

Musically, I have heard the Hsu a few times, and one movie. Good film. Not so hot with Psb Alphas in stereo, a bit slow.

Bronze Member
Username: The13thgryphon

Spokane, WA USA

Post Number: 33
I think the answer also lies in the intended use. If the respondents are thinking of a home theater application, or a combined music/theater system where the emphasis is on the movies... then the HSU would likely get more recommendations due to it's ability to potentially play louder and hit harder.

However, if the respondent is more into music, in the form of a very musical home theater/surround sound system, or a two-channel music aficionado, then I'd have to believe that the Dynamo would be the more musical, and therefore get more recommendations.

There is also the distinct possibility of one unit having a following on a particular board, because that piece is/was owned by a number of members, or a number of members have had experience with a particular piece; and a different group of people on a different board would have different experiences.

Bottom line: anything that anyone tells you, or recommends to you is their personal opinion, and nothing more. It is up to you to verify how their tastes and preferences fit within your own musical/movie tastes, system parameters, environment, etc.

Nuck's point about what is on sale is also right on target. What may be considered to be a little on the expensive side is suddently a steal if placed on sale or being closed out.

Good hunting.

Username: Heimdall

Post Number: 2
Where did you find the Dynamo for 399?

Gold Member

Post Number: 5184
I think the Dynamo was close-out at Magnolia for 399

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 3772
Silver Dynamo's were and probably still are a close out at Magnolia as Nuck stated. BTW mine just gets better with time.

Username: Brettw

Post Number: 2
Hi,
Can you post a link for Magnolia?
Looking for a good sub.
thanks,
bw

Silver Member
Username: Arande2

400dB could probably d..., SouthWest Mi... Too Many DBs...

Post Number: 996
You can find it near the bottom of the page at

www.bestbuy.com
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us