Denon Amp and the Vienna Acoustics?

Username: Bruce5

Baltimore, Md USA

Post Number: 1
Hey guys,

I am brand new here. I read a little and a couple threads briefly mentioned that that Denon does not match up well with the Vienna Acoustic speakers. I only saw a brief mention of this and was looking for specific experience from a member here (first) and if that could not be found... what any of you have heard from friends. Or just general knowledge.

This is my 2nd home theater set up as my first amp finally gave out and I decided to build a new system altogether. Currently I have the Denon 2807 matched with the Vienna Acoustic Shonberg Series. It does not sound bad to me. Admittingly I am a neophyte to the audio world compared to a lot of you here. I was thinking the concern had to do with power and the 4 Ohm speakers? It seems to me at a moderately loud level the amp comes thru fine. My speaker position is perfect and the room, medium sized, is designed well for sound. I think the amp is efficient... again at moderately high volume. Am I missing something? I think I have a good ear.

Any help is appreciated.
TIA,
Bruce

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 4797
Hi Bruce.I am note sure about your question in there, but your statement at the end says it all.
'I think I have a good ear'.
I think you do, too.
I can see no shotcomings in your arrangement at all.

The question of Denon and Vienna would only come down to the 4ohm speakers, and if that didn't work, you would know right away.
Just mind that the Denon doesn't get too hot.
The thermal protection of the Denon is for the safety of neargy combustibles, not for the well-being of the unit itself. Conductors can bake well before auto-shutdown.

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 9428

Excuse me while I say I've never understood why someone wants another person's opinion of what they own. I've been involved in this hobby for several decades and sold high end audio/video for 20+ years and I still don't understand why anyone else's opinions should matter. For the most part, the other person knows no more than the person asking the question and has nothing more to back up their judgement of quality than liking what they like and apparently not liking what you like. It has long been established on this forum that hardly anyone listens to music being created by individual performers at a live event where an opinion or recollection or reference of sound quality can be established. Therefore, most of those people expressing their opinions about how equipment matches are using the reference of their audio systems in their car, cruising along in traffic, to judge what they like. You can't do that on your own?

Opinions run to the silliest of notions such as pairing a "warm" receiver with "bright" speakers. Or a detailed CD player with a dull sounding amplifier. These are bandaids that should be ignored. Bandages are for mistakes and should not be used to blind you toward making wise decisions. If you have no reference for what you like other than what you like, then what you like is what you like. If, after you've owned the equipment for awhile, you find it not to your liking, the option is to replace it with something you like or live with something you hate that gives you headaches. If you decide to replace the offending item and you still refuse to establish a target you should be aiming for, then you will repeat a cycle until you either relent and learn what you like or you give up.

If you like what you own and no one else in your immediate listening group complains, then don't worry. What you like is based upon how you use the system and your listening habits and experience. Until at least one of those things change, don't be concerned with anyone else's opinion not based on fact. Facts might suggest a given product might not match electrically with another product. That is what a good dealer is for, to guide you toward components that work well with each other within your parameters of sound quality. If a CD player isn't going to drive your receiver's or pre amp's inputs well, the dealer should let you know in advance. If the amplifier isn't capable of dealing with the demands of the speaker, the dealer should make you aware of that fact. Granted there are dealers who don't always have the best and brightest sales staff. You get to decide who you do business with.

If, after all of this, you are satisfied your system does all you ask of it, then don't worry. It's your system. Fortunately, unlike relatives, you can change it easily and quickly. Listen with a critical ear and enjoy with an exuberant emotion. Stop relying on opinions and gather facts.

Username: Bruce5

Baltimore, Md USA

Post Number: 2
Thanks guys!!

Username: Bnecker717

Baltimore, Md USA

Post Number: 1
Hi there Bruce. I also have Denon paired with Vienna Acoustics. Thanks for asking that detailed question. It is a good one. And yes opinions are important. I think they make a great pair and sound wonderful. I have the Bach grand's. I just need a center channel now, I want a Maestro :-)
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us