Clueless

Username: Exodus1

Post Number: 1
As the title reads, yes, clueless. Bought a house a little over a year ago. It came with an in wall surround system, cool. I plugged in my Kenwood VR205 and sat down for a movie with blah sound. I've been doing this ever since. The speakers put out much better sound when listening to the radio, but you have to crank it up considerably more to get a comparable sound when watching a movie. SO, finally today I popped the grills off the speakers, pulled out one of them and saw the word OPTIMUS on the back. I did a quick search on these and see that they make better anchors than speakers. I would like to replace these with something that can push a little more sound. Any suggestions? Also, is this receiver I am using part of the problem? It is old 7-8yrs and was the shelf model at some audio store, got a deal I thought, but like I said.....I'm clueless. Thanks for the help!

Bronze Member
Username: Rysa3

Houston, Texas

Post Number: 65
Optimus was the old radio shack brand. You should be able to change out the speakers for something better and take advantage of the in wall wiring ( hopefully). Is there wiring for a center channel? I dont know anything about a Kenwood VR205 and am feelin too lazy to look it up. Does it do Dolby 5.1, DTS, and Dolby Prologic 2 processing? And does it have a separate subwoofer output?

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 4792
Rat shack specials. I had them in the ceiling in my old place.
Hoping, like Marc, that the wiring is reasonable(or replaceable) you might look into Angstrom, RB.
Then a new receiver, I like H/K for simple applications.

Your DVD player must be muted or turned down if the radio is fine.
Check your set-up menu's, something may have been defaulted during the power-down for the move.
I hope you like the new place.

Nuck

Angstromaudio.com

Post Number: 2
Thanks for the replies. I do have the wiring for the center channel, and all the wiring looks pretty good. I'm thinking the installation was good, just junk speakers. I will look into the Angstrom and might as well go all the way and look into a new receiver as well, and dvd too.
Thanks again for the replies, now I'm off to find out what is the best LCD out there, and what all this 1080p stuff is about and if it is worth the money.

Kingwood, TX

Post Number: 4
I've spent (my wife says wasted) the morning doing a little research, here is what I am looking at.
Harman Kardon
AVR 330-Z refurbished for $297, and one stop shopping for jbl or infinity in - wall speakers (any input on these is welcome), haven't quite decided on the model..
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us