Marantz PM7200 + subwoofer - HOW TO ??

Username: Hi_fi_guy

Post Number: 5
hello folks,

really need some advice on how to hook up a sub-woofer to my marantz PM 7200 integrated amp.

The problem being, there is no pre-out facility.
It does however have a processor out and in.

Your advice will be greatly appreciated.

thanks all in advance

Silver Member
Username: Gamerdude

Ontario Canada

Post Number: 295
My best guess would be to look in the manual about the Processor in/out and you could use the sub inputs and use the speakers outputs for the speakers

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 9412

The processor loop does not track the volume control and is not usable as a subwoofer output. Connect the speaker outputs of the amplifier to the speaker level inputs of the sub, then the speaker out of the sub to the main speakers.

Post Number: 6
thanks for your inputs.

so i know that the processor loop cannot be used. so that option is ruled out.

About using the speaker outs of the amp to the speaker level inputs on the sub, is the sound quality not poorer when using the speaker level outputs ?? and will this cause my PM7200 to work harder ???

also, is adding a pre-amplifier an option ?? Can I hook up the 2 outs of a pre-amplifer, one to my CD-in of the PM7200 amp and the other to the sub-woofer ? will this work ? If yes, where will the volume be controlled from ? from the pre-amp or my PM7200 amp ??

thanks guys.

Bronze Member
Username: Arande2

Post Number: 83
I will comment on using speaker-level inputs of the sub. I would say that this might even sound better or integrate better than using pre-amp outputs or line-level outputs. The sub tends to follow the output of the amp and not just the signal when hooked up to the speaker outputs of the amp. In other words, if the sub is plugged into a Yamaha speaker it will sound like the Yamaha. If it if plugged into a Krell MRA it will be well controlled and tight like what the speakers are receiving. In your case, the Marantz, it will sound like that.

I suppose it's all a matter of opinion though.

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 4860
In other words, if the sub is plugged into a Yamaha speaker it will sound like the Yamaha. If it if plugged into a Krell MRA it will be well controlled and tight like what the speakers are receiving. In your case, the Marantz, it will sound like that.

Once more from the top, Andre?

Post Number: 8
thanks for your inputs.

just the one other clarification.

Will running out speaker level inputs/outputs put an extra load on my Marantz amplifier ?? Logic says no, but still would like to confirm.

Gold Member

Post Number: 4865
Dunno.
If it is an active preamp and active XO, then no.
But those would color the sound alot.

Who knows,folks?

Gold Member

Post Number: 4866
Other than 'the shadow'?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us