Sonos

Username: Gavdann

Post Number: 2
I was in our local audio centre at the weekend and was checking out the Sonos multi-room music player.

They had a ZP100 connected up to a pair of Kef iQ5's (in one of the zones) and although I was impressed with the functionality of the box, I felt it was lacking a bit of "oomf" in sound. Is the integrated 50W amp that's built into the ZP100 any good? I still play an awful lot of CDs and vinyl and I'm wondering whether I should go with an integrated amp/ CD player/ turntable/ speakers connected to a ZP80 (in my audio room) and a ZP100 connected to the media storage box, with line-in from my TV/DVD player in the lounge. This way I can still play media files and CDs in both rooms but get (perhaps) better audio quality in my main audio room.

What's people opinions?

Bronze Member
Username: The13thgryphon

Spokane, WA USA

Post Number: 32
Gavin,

I don't have one in my home yet... that's probably still a month or two away. But after listening to both the ZP100 and ZP80 (through a Cambridge Audio integrated) into the same speakers, I'm going with the ZP80 in my den system, and would also use a ZP80 in my home theater main rig.

I may consider a ZP100 for a solution in my wife's craft room however. She wants music in there, and wants to use an old pair of Baby Advent II speakers we have sitting around. The Baby Advent's have a warm midrange, and are not very extended in the bass or treble... but for casual listening it might work okay with a ZP100 to drive them.

Username: Gavdann

Post Number: 3
Thanks John. It's very useful to read that.

I should have asked the guy to connect a ZP80 up to one of their amps but I think I'll look to invest in a NAD integrated and hook a ZP100 straight into my TV, as I'm not really interested in home cinema.

Silver Member
Username: Arande2

400dB could probably d..., 4000 isnt ev... 100,000dB FU...

Post Number: 131
Now You Do What They Told Ya! Seriously.

Gold Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 1757
Gavin,

I always thought the ZP100 had a 20wpc amp! I didn't realize it was 50. Well, for a 50wpc I feel it doesn't have that much power. the other place where i feel it suffers is clarity. I think it should be a bit cleaner, but then given the price it's really not that bad. It does prefer easier loads so try to be a bit sympathetic when matching to speakers. Alternatively, look at the ZP80 into your hifi for the more serious listening although it's unlikely that the ZP80 would beat your dedicated CD player in pure performance terms since the DAC's only so good in the Sonos units.

Regards,
Frank.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us