Going to add a subwoofer to the system.....

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 3697
Have a budget of $600. Would like to fill in the frequency range from 25-40 hz. Will $600 buy a subwoofer sufficient to the task considering that my musical preference is for classical, jazz and old school rock. Am considering ML Dynamo and the new compact SVS (a bit over the stated budget but I could perhaps swing it). Any suugestions would be welcome.

BTW I spoke to my friends at the Sound Org and ofcourse they recommended Essex as would I if I had their starting price of 1K.

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 9395

I would get in touch with Tim. Even if he's not producing his Tom subwoofer at the moment, you can buy all the parts off the shelf and put it together yourself.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 3699
Thanks for the response Jan. I ain't much of a do it yourselfer but I will keep that in mind.

Bronze Member
Username: Rysa3

Houston, Texas

Post Number: 57
The UFW-10 from av123.com would be excellent for classical and jazz, and decent for Classic Rock.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 3701
Interesting sub Marc, thanks for the response.

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 4735
https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-audio/276517.html

A carpenter or neighboe could fab the cabinet...

Gold Member

Post Number: 4736
Maybe even a neighbor. D'oh!

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 9399

http://ibsubwoofers.proboards51.com/index.cgi

http://white.hometheatertalk.com/tips/ib.htm

Bronze Member
Username: Gavdawg

Post Number: 47
art, I know that jan may be (and usually is) correct, but I have no bones about the MartinLogan Dynamo. I think it is a great piece for the price, but I would also advise you to check out the Onix Rocket UFW-10, which is also roughly $600.

I have no experience with this sub, but there are a few members that do if memory serves me correctly, and they enjoy it immensely. I have seen a few talking about it, and I would hope that members would not be giving details about how a product performs if they dont own it or have experience with it :-)

Yes, I agree that the new SVS is a curiosity of mine as well.

I DO have experience with the ML, and while it is a great sub for the price, I do not feel that it is as good as the grotto. It realistically can not be, as ML would be shooting themselves in the foot if it was. I have tried them both with my maggies, and would have kept either of them.

Remember that I DO like the previous generation martinlogan speakers, so I may be less likely to notice bass integration issues than you would, but I would also never pair a Bose acoustimass unit with my maggies either :-)... That I think even randy warren would notice.

Also... I thought that you had an ERA subwoofer... am I missing something here?

Art I would also recommend checking out (and im really going to lose any and all credibility in this forum for this suggestion)...

im ducking from the bullets and the comments...

the CSW Newton P500 rebuilt sub (if you arent hesitant to try a rebuilt product). They are normally $800, and I probably wouldnt pay full price for one myself, but rebuilt, they are $500, and feel they are easily worth that. They are tight and musical, without being "overly tight"

I listen to a majority of jazz and smooth jazz, and auditioned one of these myself on a subwoofer buying quest. It performed admirably and the EQ feature works as specified. However, my room has a nasty node at 60Hz that was too strong for the EQ... so this sub went back.

I would have kept it, especially for the price.

it may perform differently in your room than mine if you decide to give it a try... I thought it was a nice performer...

http://www.bestspeakerdeals.com/store/category.cgi?category=bgd_spk_sub%26item%3 Dc1p500ce&type=store

Bestspeakerdeals is Cambridge Soundworks speaker outlet

Products from the outlet still come with a 45 day in home trial.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 48
the EQ on that sub has a +/- 6dB leeway. Yes... my room is far from perfect...lol

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 3705
Ja, anything that I could build wouldn't pass the spouse approval test..

Gavin I had an Era and sold it when I went 2 channel...it's the only piece of audio gear that truly regret selling. It was a fabulous sub. Right now they are selling silver Dynamo's at Magnolia for 399.00 and black one for 579.00. Also they are closing out REL Q series subs. I am going to check that out this week.

Thanks for the tips and responses guys...I'm listening!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 52
Art...

that CSW sub comes in mahogany as well as slate

www.bestspeakerdeals.com

I didnt copy the link above correctly... sorry

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 1542
Art,

Looking at John Mannix's profile, he uses an Onix Rocket sub with Maggies. You may want to look him up (He was in the Arros thread in the speaker section). If he's using one with Maggies, he should be able to comment on speed, musicallity, etc.

The ML subs are pretty solid performers. Definitely worth looking into.

Username: Arande2

Post Number: 1
I recommend you either get a B&W 650 or any MartinLogan subwoofer you can afford. Both brands make good subwoofers =). www.bwspeakers.com
www.martinlogan.com

Bronze Member

Post Number: 54
the B&W sub is not one of my faves... to me it is hollow and lacks any sense of tone.

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 9405

I figured the infinite baffle might be something with anyone's reach. The construction part is hidden and the only thing left is to knock a hole in the wall. Oh, well.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 3706
Every wall in my little 1040 sq ft house leads to valuable space which I can't afford to lose. Actually I've been jokin' just a bit about the construction...I did act as my own contractor for the home remodel and worked with the cabinet maker. I appreciate your suggestions Jan, thanks.

Thanks to all who responded I just lucked into (I hope) a REL Q150 for 499.00 at Magnolia. I'll pick it up at the end of the week and give it a try.

Bronze Member
Username: The13thgryphon

Spokane, WA USA

Post Number: 31
Hi Art,

Be sure to carefully review the REL Q150 in terms of your system and needs. I do like the REL products in general, but the Q-series was not a favorite of mine. The Q-series was REL's attempt to build a small, lower cost sub to compete with the likes of Sunfire and the other mini-cubes. It does a better job for home theater than for music, in my opinion.

On the other hand, $499 ain't all that much, and maybe it will do what you want it to... only you can determine for sure, as you well know.

I do own an Onyx Rocket UFW-10, and currently have it paired with Magnepan MG-1.6QR's. The UFW-10 is not the be-all, end-all of subs. However, for $600 (or less... I got mine on sale for $429 when they blew out the last of their Madagascar Ebony finish) it is a very fast and musical sub. It does not plumb the depths, but gives you tight, tuneful, highly misical output down to 25 Hz. It also has a one-band parametric EQ (freq, bandwidth, and level), and continously variable phase (zero to 180) to help in room/system integration.

I will most likely eventually pick up a REL R-305 or Martin-Logan Depth (or even two) for my Maggie based home theater -- as they are even better for music, and also do movies very well -- and will move the UFQ-10 into the den and see how it mates with my Quad 21L's. I'm very taken with both these subs, but didn't have the scratch to go there at this time.

I do think that sealed subs generally provide a tighter and more controlled, and therefore more musical, bass. The triple-drive ML Depth (or Vandersteen 2WQ) interest me. Three 8" drivers have roughly the same surface area as a 14" driver. In addition, in the case of the ML Depth, the three drivers are symetrically distributed such that they work together to reduce cabinet vibration. On the other hand, there's just something "right" about the musicality of the REL R-series.

Hope I helped more than I confused.

Gold Member

Post Number: 4738
As I am yet to finish the whole basement, I am reading up on IB sun meself. I suppose placement is rather permanent, though.

Please let us know, Art.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 3708
I was set to try the ML Dynamo when the folks at Magnolia mentioned the close out sale of the REL Q series (being replaced by the T series). I called the Sound Org in Dallas (the US distributors of Rega gear) and they recommended the Essex Subs (out of my budget), When I told them what I was considering they recommended the REL Q108 or Q150. The bigger Q series subs could over power the system. We just dropped a few nickels on a Sony SXRD LCD rear projector (the little 50 inch) so we've been set back for awhile. Pictures of the new setup in a week or two on the audiogon page where the last setup was posted. Thanks again and I will let ya'll know how it goes.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 3723
FYI Martin Logan Dynamo (silver only) 399.00 at Magnolia Audio Video while supplies last. The Dynamo is a very good value high performing sub at its regular price of 599.00 and a steal at 399.00.

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 9445

The IB placement is "somewhat" permanent only if you don't know how to patch drywall.

Silver Member

400dB could probably d..., 4000 isnt ev... 100,000dB FU...

Post Number: 129
LOL it's my first post up there here in this thread.

Silver Member

400dB could probably d..., 4000 isnt ev... 100,000dB FU...

Post Number: 236
We must protect the first post right???
And the 129th post I guess...

Gold Member

Post Number: 4998
Andre, you shouldn't oughtt'a smoke a J before school.

Gold Member
Username: Joe_c

Atlanta, GA USA

Post Number: 1160
Jamo d4 24hz in room. things a beast

Bronze Member
Username: Manc

Post Number: 22
What's a used Strata III go for? The ST are better than the Q for music. Fine if you don't play your kit too loud. Too big maybe?

Essex looks familiar. Those plate amps look like BK jobbies.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us