Is denon 3806+nad c372=arcam avr350!

Bronze Member
Username: Craigblue

Post Number: 18
Hi folks, I own a denon 3806 and want to upgrade it to have nice musical sound and if possible better ht quality after some research on receivers came to three choices:

1. Adding a nad c372 to my system
2. replacing my denon with an arcam avr350
3. replacing my denon with a marantz 8001

I have JMlab focal speakers chorus 716v front,and 706v rear, velo dd-10

Please help,thanks

Bronze Member

Post Number: 19
anyone?

Bronze Member
Username: Hoanghai2k

Melbourne, VIC Australia

Post Number: 19
add an intergrate amp is always a good choice. nad will drive ur JMlab incredible, but how about add a power amp, may be better idea.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 20
uhum, in that case I can add nad c272 to my current denon 3806, but what difference exactly does it make? I mean difference between intg, stereo amp and power amp.

Silver Member
Username: Jethro

Lansing, Mi

Post Number: 131
to make a negligible difference in musical sound quality imo adding amps to your denon won't do much. You will notice a difference in sound if you go with marantz or arcam (for better or worse) your ears will judge. They have a different "house" sound than the denon. I would go with step 2 if money allows and not look back. Go with the marantz only if you prefer the marantz musically over the denon, this is subjective and you should listen before buying.
Adding an external amp could tighten the bass, sharpen the highs, etc... with your denon doing the pre/pro duties. But, I think what you are looking for is a different possibly warmer sound which you can achieve with marantz or possibly the arcam.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 21
isn't arcam avr350 a little bit weak (100w) compared to 3806(120w)for 130-200w speakers? how much difference does it make?

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 4715
Leo, in the big picture, yes of course power matter matters. However, the difference between 100 and 120 is wafer thin. Not even audible.
However, the quality of the first watt is always audible.

Speakers have no watts.It is a mantra.
The interaction of a speakers load and the way an amplifier reacts to the load will determine power delivery.
If unsure, think about amp ratings. say 100w @8ohms, but 150w@ 4 ohms. Same amp, different interaction with varying loads.
BTW, the ohm thing is constantly varying, as is the output of the amp.

Ignore speaker watts. Ignore amp watts to some extent. Pay close attention to interaction and synergy, how well do pieces work together?

Gold Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 1741
Leo,

The Focal JmLabs are easy to drive and they are great speakers indeed in my opinion. Since they're easy to drive I wouldn't have any qualms running them with the AVR350. The Arcam is more powerful than you'd think and the sound is excellent. So if you want to stay with one box, this would be the way forward.

The question nobody has asked yet is what is your music source? That will make a massive difference to the situation too. If your music source is a cheapo DVD player, then you're more likely to have better rersults spending your money on either a dedicated CD player (Rega Apollo comes to mind) or a a much more highly spec'd DVD player with some decent quality music ability (Arcam).

regards,
Frank.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 22
frank i have a denon 1920 dvd player.also I found a good deal on jmlab focal 800v,maybe upgrade my speakers,what do you think?have you heared them?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us