Suggestions for isolating a table

Bronze Member
Username: Wasserman12

Post Number: 27
I have my table on a wood entertainment shelving unit that I built. Its pretty stiff- fairly well built, and it supports my linn axis, my luxman receiver, a dvd player, a tape deck two speakers and a television. I imagine this is causing more serious listeners to roll their eyes. I have recently noticed that when I walk across the floor near to the turntable, the sound occasionally acquires a mild vibrato. Any suggestions short of abanding the shelving unit? I had thought of making some kind of suspension out of foam rubber and mdf, but it seems like people around here favor heavy, solid isolation, like granite or something.

Bronze Member
Username: Stevestar99

Dahlonega, GA

Post Number: 46
The problem is that your floor and/or it's joist are bouncing up and down. If you can get underneath the floor you can stiffen up the joist with trestles, straps, sandwiching long joist with more timber or put a about a 1000 lbs of dead weight on the floor. The floor will bow down and your 200 lbs shifting around won't effect the floor's stability.

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 4811
Steve, I didn't see EW's personal mass indicated anywhere in the OP.I figgur he's a featherweight, but might want to look into a de-coupled cable suspension.

Bronze Member

Dahlonega, GA

Post Number: 58
Ya, what ever works and is the easiest to accomplish. I've got a bouncy joist and it's particularly bad next to a non-bearing wall.
So coming off my wall with some kind of shelf or suspension system wouldn't work in my case. I got a feeling the house has settled and the wall is pulling up on the floor and joist, making it like a trampoline.

Gold Member

Post Number: 4815
Well Eugene is a flyweight, and needs to see about a de-coupled suspension, maybe.

Or a solid steel house wide backbone.

Gold Member

Post Number: 4816
And maybe a few more salads, Steve.
No offense intended.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 40
What the hell is going on here?

Gold Member

Post Number: 4829
http://www.tnt-audio.com/clinica/sandblaster_e.html

Maybe like this, Eugene.
Sorry for the mayhem.

Bronze Member

Dahlonega, GA

Post Number: 59
I don't know. I think when I referred to you being 200 lbs that Nuck took that as some sort of a slight toward you. I'm 6'1, 195 lbs , so 200 seems normal to me. Eugene, I can totally relate to your problem. You got an entertainment unit that's got to weigh very bit of 500 lbs and when you walk across the floor your tone arm is bouncing up and down. I've got the same problem, wood floors.

Gold Member

Post Number: 4830
Sometimes an apartment with concrete floors can be a blessing.
That link with the sand fill is one option, how's about sommore?

Gold Member

Post Number: 4831
The Linn, in particularis usually happy with the shelf mount that you quote, EW.
But it is usually mounted singularly, not with other, heavier componants mounted nearby, that will multiply the amplitude of external infuances.
Perhaps a singurlarly installed shelf for the Linn.

Nice table, BTW, what arm/stylus are you running?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 41
i'm using the table with the basik arm, which it came with and the cheapest grado cartridge. You see, I bought the table at a rummage sale in sunset park from an old man who was selling his kids' things. I just bought it because of its looks, having never heard of linn. He asked $30 and I talked him down to $15, very easily.

it came with a Linn cartridge, but that kicked the bucket pretty quickly. It sounded much better at first, though, than the grado I'm running now.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us