Sub suggestions- and Happy Turkey Day!

Bronze Member
Username: Bigpoppaphile

SAINT CLOUD, MN United States

Post Number: 35
Hi all, hopefully there will be some bored people out there this holiday to help me. Over the last week I have noticed my cheapy sony 8" sub I bought 5 years ago for 100 bucks is dying. It will spew out randon odd noises that are not even close to bass notes, I'm assuming the electronics in it are dying as it is self powered. This fine, it has served it's time and it gives me an excuse to upgrade. And that is where you all hopefully come in.

My local best buy is running a sale for the day after turkey day on Klipsch synergy series 10 inch sub for $199. Apparently this door buster is about half price. I have klipsch reference model speakers and like them so I was intrigued by this. However I have read that while klipsch speakers are good, their subs have much to be desired.

I was looking around and have noticed hsu to be well recommended by people. Would saving that 200 I would spend on a whim on the synergy be put to better use on say a HSU vtf-3 or stf-3?

If so, what are the differences and which would you knowledgeable folks recommend.

I listen to music mostly, and then tv and movies as well, about a 70/30 split in favor of the music. So I would prefer a musical sub over just a loud one. I've read larger cone = deeper base, is this true too?
It seems the HSU is quite customizable as well, would this also be an advantage over the synergy from klipsch?

Thanks for your advice in advance folks!

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 1528
I'm not very knowledgable on subs... I haven't heard the HSU... I haven't spent much time with the Klipsch sub you mention... Take this as you will...

Their is a big difference between the Klipsch Reference and Synergy line. While the Klipsch Reference may not be my particular cup of tea, they are a very respectable speaker and have a very respectable sound. IMO, the Synergy series is a poor excuse of an 'entry level' Klipsch line. If you're basing your expectations of the Klipsch Synergy line on the merits of the Reference line, you're most likely going to be disappointed.

If all you've got so spend is $200 (which isn't necessarily a bad thing) and need a quick replacement, it should be worth it. If you're buying it for a second system, for a son/duaghter, etc., it should be worth it.

If you've got a good stereo (I'm assuming you appreciate good sound), plan on keeping it for a while, and have more money to spend, I'd say it's not worth it. Not that it's a terrible sub, but a few dollars more will get much more in return. And if you're planning on living with it for a while, down the road would you rather say 'that's a great sub' or 'it was cheap at the time.' Personally, I'd take the former over the later.

Again, just my two cents. Take it as you will.

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 1529
Sorry, I forgot to mention - Happy Thanksgiving to you as well.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 36
thanks for the quick response. I did forget to mention in my first post that I would be willing to spend up to 400 bucks, maybe 500, if I have some time to shop around and listen to a few. I am beginning to think I will wait and see instead of making a snap decision here. Plus, who wants to wait outside a best buy in line at 4 in morning?

Silver Member
Username: Gamerdude

Ontario Canada

Post Number: 272
The klip subs sound wicked u wont be disapointed!

Bronze Member
Username: Rysa3

Houston, Texas

Post Number: 46
well if you want to spend 599 a great musical sub is theUFW-10 by Onix Rocket available at av123.com.

HSU has three general model lines with the vtf3-HO at the top-- a fine performer, which I have personally auditioned. Their VTF2 series is decent as well for the price.

svs-pb10 is another consideration although you loose a little articulation for SPL ( sound pressure level)

Going up in price, the Axiom EP-500 is quite awesome and the JL audio fathom f113 will musically level your home and your neighbors as well.

I wouldnt buy a Klipsch subwoofer. Not their strength. yes I have auditoned them.

Bronze Member
Username: The13thgryphon

Spokane, WA USA

Post Number: 25
Hi "Big",

I agree with Marc S. completely. The UFW-10 is a very misical sub (I have one). It doesn't go down as low as some -- about 28 Hz clean at decent output levels... but it is tight, controlled, tuneful, and makes music.

The HSU subs are also very nice. They are ported, so you'll get some additional output, but it won't be quite as clean. That's why I chose the sealed UFW-10.

Personally, I think sealed box subs provide a cleaner, less bloated, less blurred/fuzzy output... but that's my opinion. YMMV

Some folks don't like the sound of a sealed sub, and would rather have the extra crash / boom / bang effect for movies. The UFW-10 doesn't do that quite as well, but it more than makes up for it with music. Since my system is used 60% for music, and 40% for movies, I'm willing to make that trade-off. You'll have to decide for yourself.

However, I too would stay well away from Klipsch subs. This is from a former Klipsch owner. Though, admittedly, a different line from either the Reference or Synergy... I owned a pair of Klipsch Forte speakers from the Heritage line. There are days when I wish I had them back so I could hook them up to a nice tubed pre or integrated. So I do have a fond spot for Klipsch... just not their subs or the Synergy stuff.

Hope that's helpful.

Bronze Member
Username: Rysa3

Houston, Texas

Post Number: 52
Just as an FYI, I use two UFW 10s which gives a bit of an SPL boost allowing flat response to 25 HZ with usable bass to 24 but with quick roll off from there obviously.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 37
thanks for all the good suggestions folks, just to update I didn't get the klipsch sub, wanted to do some more research. the ufw sounds interesting since I want more detail from my bass than sheer power. Where I live now I can't really play it as loud anyway, so buying a sub based on its strengh that is good for pounding the walls would be a waste anyway.

will keep you guys posted on my findings...
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us