HD DVD player overloading receiver??

Bronze Member
Username: Rock_hard

Post Number: 24
I bought the HD DVD add-on for my xbox 360 and its fantastic. looks amazing! but if i have it turned loud, my amp goes into protect. i dont' mean super loud, i have watched regular DVDs MUCH louder. but, if i have it at a comfortable movie watching volume level it just goes into protect. what could be causing that? it happened once before watching an HD show on my digital cable. my amp is a Harman/Kardon HK 325.
thanks for any help guys

Bronze Member

Post Number: 25
oops sorry its an HK AVR 330 not 325. not that it really matters!

Silver Member
Username: Gamerdude

Ontario Canada

Post Number: 270
Make sure that EVERYTHING is connected right, and allso check that no wires are touching suck as at the speaker terminals

Allso make sure the amp is vented properly

Gold Member
Username: Kano

BC Canada

Post Number: 1121
Are you using 4Ohm speakers?

The Xbox 360 downmixes the new Dolby Digital + track down to a high bandwidth Dolby Digital track. Apparantly the compression used results in having to turn the receiver's volume much higher than normal.
Using the normal DD or DTS track may correct the problem for you, but check all your speaker wire terminations, it could be a single copper thread shorting out when the signal to that speaker is strong enough.

Gold Member

BC Canada

Post Number: 1122
The same problem isn't there for True HD and DTS HD tracks, btw,

Bronze Member

Post Number: 26
yeah i do have to turn it up quite a bit more with an HD DVD than i do with a regular DVD. -18 with a regular DVD sounds like -8 with an HD DVD. I've watched concert DVDs much louder than the HD DVDs for a long period of time and have had no problems, so it can't be a short somewhere.
to get True HD and DTS HD i need a new receiver don't i? and a new HD DVD player because the xbox 360 doesn't have the analog outputs to give u enough bandwidth seeing as the optical cable doesn't have enough bandwidth to carry those signals. am i right? is there no fix for this?

Gold Member

BC Canada

Post Number: 1123
Actually the 360 will convert any soundtrack you select into a Dolby Digital 5.1 soundtrack. True HD and DTS HD actually come across louder, and sound the best. FOr some reason Dolby Digital + has to be turned up.

I picked one of these up today and found the same thing. -18 is now -8, but have had no problems. I noticed there's a lot of low end going to the towers though. Perhaps setting the crossover for your fronts a little higher will fix your problem. I have an Hk AVR430, and found the receiver struggled to get bass out of my Polk Rti8s. I now use a 200Wx2 power amp for the fronts and was really shocked at how much more bass comes through compared to using the HK.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us