Coxial or fiber optic? which one is better for audio?

Bronze Member
Username: Mkdhaka

Alexandria, VA USA

Post Number: 11
I have a AVR 245 and Harman Kardon HKTS 14 5.1 sperkers. I will be using the system mostly for movie and TV. Which would be a better option for audio? Digital Coxial or Digital Fiber OPtic? Please let me know. Thanks for your help.

Regards

Morris

Bronze Member
Username: Shawnharman

Post Number: 26
Hi morris, either one would be fine, there is really no difference between them, the coaxial cable has a solid connection as the fiber optic does not, unless you get a cable that has a lock in feature, but the optical cable is resistant to noise, so you will get a little less backround noise.

Bronze Member

Alexandria, VA USA

Post Number: 12
What are some good web sites to buy these cables?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 27
you can find good cables on just about any electronics website, and it all depends on how much your willing to spend for the cables.

Silver Member
Username: Gamerdude

Ontario Canada

Post Number: 269
www.wildwestelectronics.com

Bronze Member

Alexandria, VA USA

Post Number: 13
Shawn and Kyle thanks! As new to this I have a sutpid question: What are some mode I should use to lisen to Music,TV and DVD (Logic 7, Dolby sur, DTS Sur, DTS DEO6) ?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 28
that would actually be up to you on that one, I own some H/K gear and personally I like the logic 7 feature that they have. you might like to try it in that mode.

Silver Member
Username: Jethro

Lansing, Mi

Post Number: 120
dvd- try dts if you have the option otherwise dolby digital is standard

music- imo, 2 channel stereo or direct mode will always rule.

tv- this is where dinking around is your best option me thinks

Silver Member

Lansing, Mi

Post Number: 121
to your original post, don't buy expensive cables, theres not going to be an audible difference. Coaxial vs optical in this case also isn't going to net an audible difference given reasonable cable length runs. Keep it cheap and simple, buy cables that are of good quality and low price. Think knock off monster and you will be in good shape.

Bronze Member

Alexandria, VA USA

Post Number: 14
Thanks everyone! You all are good source for home theater system and very hlepful.Just couple of points,Jeff you said cable doesn't make much difference,but HK help desk told me the with analog I will not get DTS Surr. I guess you meant between optical and fiber doesn't make much difference. Also do you all have a audio connection to receriver to TV? I dont have my TV spearkers on and also even if I turn my tv off the audio is stays on ultil I turn off the receiver. This may be standard but as being new not sure if I am doing something wrong.

As always thanks you all. Have great Thanks giving.

Silver Member
Username: Divin11112000

Michigan

Post Number: 110
Morris
There should be a digital out connection that uses the same style connection "coaxial" / RCA connection. This will allow a digital signal for DTS the red & white connection will NOT give you DTS. I have been using the single "coaxial" digital out for a year and a half on my pioneer and have been watching in DTS the whole time. I have not used optical so don't know if i'd see a difference

Username: Lorneth1

Post Number: 5
Jeff,

"Think knock off monster and you ...." Do you mean fake monster cables?

Silver Member

Lansing, Mi

Post Number: 127
no, I don't mean fake monster cables; that would be a bit absurd imo. I meant a good build quality such as monster (pretty middle of the line) but made by a company such as acoustic research (response maybe), blue jeans cable, etc. where you are paying for a cable and not a brand name + cable. Heh, a whole lot of post for nothing here, just get cables that aren't really crappy and your fine. Not a big deal with the application at hand.

Bronze Member

Alexandria, VA USA

Post Number: 15
I got one a monster 1000 fiber optic and a 1000 digital coxiale. My connection from cable/sat box to receiver works fine. However, the connection from DVD to receiver doesn't work. When I go to setup for HK receiver and change audio connection to optical or coxial it changes to analog automatically after few seconds. Is this a DVD problem or I am missing something. Thanks for all the help you all provided.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 30
whitch one are you useing on your dvd if your useing the optical cable switch to the coaxial and see if that helps

Bronze Member

Alexandria, VA USA

Post Number: 17
Shawn, I have tried both, but neither worked. Not sure if I have to turn on something somewhere in the DVD or receriver. My DVD is not that old, it's sony progressive scan. I guess I can call Harman Kardon

Post Number: 7
Morris,

I hope the two didn't cost too much, how much did you get them for? Aside from this, you can try using fiber for your dvd to receiver and coaxial for your sat/cable. The main thing is you want consistency. You should have bought either 2 fibers or coaxials because I don't see the point of having two different types of connection. You have to stick with either types. Let me know.

Bronze Member

Alexandria, VA USA

Post Number: 18
I got a good deal. I bought Ultra Fiber Optic 1000 (4') and Ultra Digital Coax 1000 for $55 a piece. Now I have both connection working and both are great. I bought two different one to check out the difference. Also they only had one fiber optic so i had to wait for the other one so I went ahead and bought both. By the way I had change the setup in the DVD to get the connection work. Thanks again!

Post Number: 9
Where did you get your cables? Best Buy?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us