Good cartridge for Technics-SL1200 MK2

Username: Robgnyc

Post Number: 2
I really like my Technics and would like to get a good cartridge for it that would work well for jazz particularly. I got a Stanton 505 when I bought the turntable originally. I don't know much about cartidges but it's time to replace that one and I'd like to upgrade.

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 1519
Rob,

I just responded to your thread in the Receivers section.

How much do you like the Technics table? IMO, they're a great DJ table, but aren't the best home audio table. They're built mainly for durablity.

For relatively cheap, you can get a great table with a cartridge already installed. I replaced my Technics SL-BD2 table with a Pro-Ject Xpression and haven't looked back. Pro-Ject's entry level table, the Debut III is a great sounding table and comes with an Ortofon cartridge installed for about $300. Rega is releasing a new entry level table called the P1 with the same cartridge for a few dollars more (I think $350). I haven't heard the P1, but Rega makes some great TT's.

If you're interested, the Technics tables have a good re-sale value on places like E-Bay. This may help you recover some or all of the cost of a new table.

If you really like the Technics table and don't want to get something else, I'm not sure what cartridges mate with your table. I'm not sue if it uses standard mount or P-Mount. P-Mount cartridges have one screw on the side and plug directly into the tonearm. Standard mount cartridges have 4 screws and plug into wires coming out of the tonearm.

A few companies make both types of cartridges. Most or all of Grado's entry level cartridges are available in either mount. They're a very good cartridge with a flat frequency response. I believe Ortofon also makes P-Mount cartridges.

These carts are moving magnet (MM) (aka moving iron). The receivers and integrated amps that we've mentioned in your receiver thread have MM inputs. I don't think they have MC (moving coil) inputs. Therefore, you'd have to get an MM cartridge unless you want to get a seperate phono pre-amp.

Personally, I'd stay away from the the DJ cartrideges like Stanton and Shure. They're very good DJ cartridges, but they're designed more for durability than sound quality. While they can sound very good at times, you can get equal or better sound quality for less money in a home stereo cartridge IMO.

Here's a link to a great turntable store. I've dealt with them and ordered from them on a number of occasions. They have a very knowledgable staff -

http://us.marantz.com/Products/425.asp

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 1520
Sorry, I posted the wrong link somehow. Here's the correct one -

http://www.musicdirect.com/Default.asp
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us