MIT Speaker Wires

Bronze Member
Username: Cobra11

Post Number: 78
While at my local audio / home theather shop, I noticed they carry a very expensive brand of speaker and video cables with the brand of MIT. These appear to be available in various grades (ie: Magnum, Shotgun, AVT etc) and lengths.

Does anyone have any feedback as to the benefit of using these cables? A customer who was buying a set indicated that the cable needed to "charge" up for about two days and then the audio change in his speakers was incredible. I would assume there is some on board electronics / capacitor in the cables, as the end of the cable which is nearest the speaker had an inline black box (none powered).

Username: Kreton

Post Number: 8
I say total BS.

I was lent those cables by my favorite audio shop and they did not make even a small difference.

Last week I was talking to one of their new employees who accepted that it's just simple copper wrapped inside gorgeous looking silicon.

The top price is 24K $ ?! Twentyfour grands !

Their web site states that many studios and this and that use those cables. I believe MIT Cables gives those cables for free or with enormous discount so as to put the names on the website.

There is a looooong discussion somewhere in this site about speaker cables, I believe in the accessories section. You'll enjoy it.

Username: Kreton

Post Number: 9
If you are very very anxious about something, have very high expectations (i.e., after paying 24K for speaker cables) then you will obviously listen to hear a difference.

I remember reading about many such stuff in my social psychology course. They can make a guy accept that 2+3=6 by putting him in difficult social setting...like a serious group of nerds.

And there is the stanford prison experiment, one of the ultimate social psychology experiments !

http://www.prisonexp.org/

And when you listen so critical, you will hear things that you otherwise hear but do not care, minute details etc. These unimportant details may appear to the buyer as magnificant improvements.

In essence, the critical listening turns into a make-believe world.

Username: Spasticteapot

Post Number: 1
I say "fugheddaboudit".

High-grade CAT5e is cheap (3 feet for a buck!), and is supposed to match even the best in expensive cables.

Silver Member
Username: Rick_ross

Post Number: 625
yo

Silver Member
Username: Stefanom

Silver Spring, MD United States

Post Number: 243
"High-grade CAT5e is cheap (3 feet for a buck!), and is supposed to match even the best in expensive cables."

Keep in mind that each length of CAT 5 is equivalent to a single 15 gauge or two 18 gauge conductors. Also, the capacitance of CAT 5 cabling is not all that low, meaning it could cause problems with some finicky amplifiers. However, audioholics found that 4 or 6 lengths of CAT 5 braided together in a certain way performed well in all aspects, and was still relatively cheap. It is ugly as sin though, and it takes some work to put together.

PS: IF you wanted to go this route, you might as well get CAT 6, as it has tighter tolerances than CAT 5.

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 4602
http://www.tnt-audio.com/clinica/ffrc_e.html

Silver Member
Username: Gamerdude

Ontario Canada

Post Number: 259
What about using eithernet cable for speaker cable?

Link?

Silver Member

Post Number: 244
CAT5/6 is ethernet cable.

Silver Member

Post Number: 245
As for the link

http://www.audioholics.com/techtips/setup/interconnects/DIYSpeakerCablesp1.html

Looks like a giant pain in the butt for marginal gains to me, but what do I know. Then again, I'm happy using my low end 12 gauge Audioquest wiring.

Bronze Member
Username: Cobra11

Post Number: 82
The anticable is getting pretty good reviews and is fairly inexpensive...

www.anticables.com

Gold Member

Post Number: 4606
Here is Frank Abela's take on the small wire twist...

https://www.ecoustics.com/cgi-bin/bbs/board-profile.pl?action=view_profile&prof ile=frank_abela-users

And a few reasons why.

Platinum Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 11479
Nuck,
Can you tell me about the speaker wires you are using?

Gold Member

Post Number: 4610
Berny, presently I use Liberty 14g bi-wire.
4x6 strand, each in a poly vinyl jacket, no shield, with a simple poly vinyl white sheath.

This is common comm wire, used in a zillion applications.

Spades are 16g Rat Shack siler coated, crimped.
I warmed them for a smooth of silver solder, each conn shrink wrapped in max wrap #14 tubing.
The shrinks and solder were done under a cloud of argon (common welding gas).
The gas thing was because I had it, and was tipsy, a friend was there, all for effect, you see.

Are you home yet?

Platinum Member

Post Number: 11480
Yes, thank you Nuck.

Liberty wire....I am going to try it out. However, the SF is not bi-wire capable so that is out of the equation.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 11481
Got home weekend before Hallow's Eve.

Silver Member
Username: Rick_ross

Post Number: 695
yo

Username: Duong_daniel

Singapore

Post Number: 5
did any one use eithernet cable for speaker cable? any effect? please share