Martin logan subwoofers

Username: Marc37

Post Number: 7
Hi everyone, I want to buy a subwoofer, currently they are just following models available in my market: martin logan depth,martin logan abyss,klipsch rt 10d and rsw12, my speakers are focal chrous 726(150w)and 707 (110w)and a denon 3806 as receiver.
The room I'm using them in is a 45 sqm.
I want a sub both for detailed music and movies.
Please advise since I really need experienced advise.

Platinum Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 11442
Do you have acces to Sonus Faber subs?

Username: Marc37

Post Number: 8
not fortunately, there are also b&w subs 600 and 700 series but I've heared that just PV1 is the good one which hasn't hit my market yet.
ML dealer also takes orders for rel r305 & 505 also but it takes one month to get here he just has rel stanpede and strata, which I haven't heared so far but I guess they are not so powerful according to specs.
what do u think?

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 4532
Marc, although no sub is perfect, I like the Rel line for musical detail. Now having said that, I picked up a Velodyne DPS12 a few weeks back, and it works quite well(the placement matters a lot).
Movies are quite ok, too.

The musical subs(Era, Rel M&K) do need a bit of work in placement, as they are complimenting the mains, as opposed to stuff blowing up and shaking the room(fun).

Your Denon receiver is noted for it's HT realism, but not so much for musicality(or so I am led to believe).
i am not sure that a sealed sub as named above would have it's best features brought forward with your set-up, the sub might stand out from the rest(not good).

The velodyne's are nice, and maybe a solid comprimise?Can the dealer order anything else?
A lot of stuff can be mail ordered, cost depends on where you live(other options too!)

Bronze Member
Username: Gavdawg

Post Number: 16
I myself am a huge fan of the martinlogan subwoofer lineup. I think that it is a welcome addition to the audiophile aubwoofer line, and has a model that can compliment any audiophile speaker nicely.

FWIW, the depth has much tighter bass than the abyss, and sounds better to my ears. The abyss is not at all a bad sub though. I had a depth home for a weekend, and it was one of the few subs that mated up with my maggies. I would have kept it, but I have a nasty 35Hz node that I cant seem to get rid of. So, im back to running my maggies full range without a sub.

Username: Arande2

Post Number: 2
I definitely prefer the MartinLogan Depth. Tight and can handle a lot of power(from what I experienced hearing it in the store). I have the MartinLogan Descent and it blows me away and the depth is just a 30% scaled down version anyway.

Silver Member
Username: Arande2

400dB could probably d..., 4000 isnt ev... 100,000dB FU...

Post Number: 235
Lol it's my second post. I've learned a lot since then!

Bronze Member
Username: Gavdawg

Post Number: 73
sorry... my bad...

not a depth, but a dynamo. HUGE DIFFERENCE THERE.

sorry for the misinformation
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us