Bookshelf speaker recommendations for ROTEL

Username: Andrewh973

Post Number: 1
Hi everyone,

I'm hoping to get some recommendations for bookshelf speakers to be driven by a ROTEL RA-1062 intergrated amp and RCD-1072 CD player. It's for a smaller living room. Volume levels will be low to upper-moderate. Space is an issue; no room for floor-standing models. Music listened to is classical, jazz, and prog rock, instrumental and vocal.
Any thoughts on B&W 601, von Schweikert VR-1? Budget is up to $1000 with quality cables.

Any and all suggestions and opinions greatly appreciated.

Thanks much.

Andrew

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 3630
B&W 600 series works very well with Rotel. Audioquest seems to have good synergy with the two as well.

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 4480
Andrew, the VR-1 looks like a nice speaker.
'If you like ribbon tweeters, or electrostats, you will like these'.
If indeed you do like these, why not look at the Magnepan MMG panels as well?

Rotel and 6 series go together like peas and carrots.
Either speaker will require a good stand to bring out their best, priced accordingly.

Username: Sergio_vestigio

Post Number: 2
I second the 600 series.

Silver Member
Username: Twebbz

Oakland Park, Florida USA

Post Number: 442
Energy C-200

http://www.energy-speakers.com/v2/products/product-page.php?id=293

I'm using the discontinued Energy Connoisseur C-5 floorstanders with a Rotel RX-1052 receiver and have used my C-3 bookshelf speakers previously.
The Energys are quite neutral and natural in their presentation and complement the neutral Rotel well. I have not heard the new replacement "C" line but I'm sure they are mighty fine and worthy of an audition.

Gold Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 1717
Andrew,

Have a look at the brand new Focal JmLab Chorus 705V or 706V. Very fine indeed. The 705V is similar money to the 601 and a lot better speaker for the money in my view. B&W are bound to change the 600 series in the coming year - it's such an old range now.

Regards,
Frank.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 3639
I agree with Frank that the Focal is a better speaker than the B&W 600 series however as I've learned the hard way it isn't always about the parts but more about the sum of those parts. Synergy is huge when it comes to audio and Rotel/B&W 600's have it. So too does Rotel and Paradigm. I haven't tried Rotel and Focal and can't speak to their synergy.

Bronze Member
Username: Sukhoi30

New Zealand

Post Number: 37
I Second the B&W Rotel Combo with Audioquest type 6 cable to biwire or if you can strech Kimber 8tc will give you some amazing results. I am using a 1062 and a RB 1050 to bi amp 603 s3 and- i am really happy. 600 series has been around so so long also suggests how good it is :-).

Silver Member
Username: Davidpa

Portland, Oregon US

Post Number: 250
I heard the NHT Classic 3s, they were a pretty decent bookshelf. Better than a pair of vienna acoustics I heard recently. Only 600 bucks too.

Silver Member
Username: Edison

Glendale, CA US

Post Number: 845
Try to hear Paradigm studio 20, and axiom mt22 (order online only - but you have 30 days to audition them).

These have transparent tweeters like upscale speakers, at under your price point. These are great values on audio.

If you google search, they both got raving reviews from the pros. This sight is pretty good for advices, but reviews by the pros go deeper.

Bronze Member
Username: Rttr

McPherson, KS USA

Post Number: 13
I own NAD, but I've spent quite a bit of time auditioning Rotel, there seems to be a little secret to British amplification like Rotel and NAD, they also mate the best with British speakers like Rega, Monitor Audio, B&W and so on.

But that's just what I think. Others may think differently.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 3640
If you try the Studio 20, wait just a bit as the v4 is shipping and promises to be quite special.

Gold Member

Post Number: 4491
Art, how do you figgur the v4 to work out?
Which parts are recurved/redone?
And what results do you expect?

Post Number: 2
Thanks everyone, so far, for your truly informative comments.

Art, I'll wait to see how the Paradigm Studio/20 v.4 will sound. Do you about when they'll be shipping? Does anyone know if B&W will be updating their 600 series anytime soon? In the end, I think I'm going to look at the 601's or the Studio 20. Although pricier, a pair of Dynaudio's might be considered.

Any thoughts?

Andrew

Gold Member

Post Number: 4492
Andrew, the Dynaudio 110's, or 140's are a good bet. The Rotel can run them well, the 140's wishing for more clarity to deliver, but a good source will make them(and you) happy.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 3642
The v4's are shipping now. They are using the gold anodized tweeter in the Signature series and have changed the bass/midbass driver to a different material. It promises to be near the same level of performance as the Signature series for either the same or near the same price as the v3 Studio's. The Signature series have been updated as well to a v2. The Performance and Monitor series are rolled into one series now with some models from both series omitted. The Atom will now be the Atom Monitor and there will be no Monitor 3. Paradigm has a new business partner (forget their name but Jim told me yesterday) and so things are a changin'.

Bronze Member
Username: Patrickbateman

MA

Post Number: 45
I think I have seen the Studio 20 v4 price listed at $899 MSRP

Bronze Member
Username: Sukhoi30

New Zealand

Post Number: 39
One more choice would be Rega R3, pretty neat speakers with lots of details and very musical. but will have to place them close to wall - i know i am suggesting floorstanders, but they are so short and slim :-) and sound wonderfull. And yes Rega with rotel is :-) :-).

Username: Gavdawg

Post Number: 1
I myself will reccomend the Magnepan panels with the Rotel. I have tried it and like the blend. Some may say it can leand to bright, but if you have a dull room it can be quite pleasent.

But for bookselfs, I reccomend Paradigms with Rotel components. They go really well together. I have yet to have my ears bleed from hearing this combo..

I re-registered after a few months lol. The spam seems to be less (hopefully) I just have to work back up to my gold status.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 3649
Great to see you back Gavin.

Gold Member

Post Number: 4506
Hi again, Gavin.

Post Number: 3
Thanks to everyone, again, for your insightful comments.

There are a couple of dealers in the area (Northern NJ) that carry Paradigm. I'm going to audition the Studio 20 v.4 and see how it compares to the B&W 601.

Bronze Member
Username: Wasserman12

Post Number: 43
Does anyybody know what the qualitative differences between the atom and the atom monitor are? I assume they've improved because they went up in price.
I thought the atoms were kind of cheap in their construction. Has that changed?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us