TEAC AG-V8520 Protect question

Username: Vince1

Post Number: 1
Please don't laugh! I have one of those Costco Teac AG-V8520 receivers that has served very well in a "secondary" home system. Recently the display shows "Protect" just after the "Welcome" banner when power is applied - with or without anything connected to it - And that's all it does.
I opened it up - Nothing scorched - Noo burn smell -
I'm sure the minimum shop fee is probably at least what I paid for it - and my wife says "pitch it" - But, if there exists a fairly well known problem, with an easy fix solution - I'd like to try it. You may have guessed from my diagnostic technique that I started out as an electrical engineer - many years ago - So be assured if there is an easy fix, I probably won't hurt myself implementing it.
BTW - Does anyone know if there a way to "reset" the protect function so I can look for smoke, or the fan not running, or something like that? Getting it to smoke would at least be progress and certainly reinforce my wife's solution!

Thanks for any help!

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 4471
Vince, wire in a Type 'J' thermocouple in place of the original, maybe?
I think it's a J.

Username: Rongofish

Harrison, ID United States

I had the same problem recently with my daughter's teac V8520, protect came on all the time. I opened it up and recycled the power several times and it started working again. I did notice that the fan wasn't spinning. Does anyone know if it only goes on at a certain temperature or should it be running all the time when powered up?

Username: Royd

Torbay, NL Canada

Hi Vince and Ronald, I am asumming you both hit the reset switch a few times to see if the rec would clear the trouble? I had the same thing happen, but cleared after resetting. The fan is temp. controlled. Roy

Username: Ajsoenke

Goleta, CA USA

FWIW - My TEAC V8520 Started doing this 'Pop' Protected thing last night after about 20 Minutes.
Turned it off then on again and it was OK for a while and POP. After long cool down it worked longer than after short shut down so I expect a Thermal issue. Got it at Costco with lifetime free Replacement Warrantee. Sooo,I'll see where that takes me an will let you know the outcome.
Anyone have a schematic in case I get interested in going inside??

Al

Silver Member
Username: Eramsey

South carolina United States

Post Number: 530
Actually not the slightest chuckle from me Alan. I'm must admit I'm rather puzzled how even a low rent home audio company like Teac(sorry-no offense to you), who has been in the audio business for at least a couple decades now could market or even design such a flawed product. I mean come on this unit does not even consume enough power to have any thermal stability issues! How common is this amoung these units?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us