Crossover question

Username: Trengag

Post Number: 1
My sony amp does not have a crossover frequency adjustment. But my sub does, 40 to 180. At what frequency should I set my sub.

Silver Member
Username: Davidpa

Portland, Oregon US

Post Number: 248
depends on what you use for speakers, large floorstanders can typically let you set to around 40-50hz, bookshelves, I would set to THX at 80hz. BUT, experimenting will no doubt yield the best results for your application, and your room. Check all different settings, and see which one blends the best.

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 9277

If your Sony amp has a crossover frequency at all, you need to either turn it off completely, if possible, or go with that setting. If you use the sub's crossover and the amp's crossover together, even at different frequencies, they will overlap and you might not get the effect you really want as a transition from satellites to sub.

If the amp's crossover is very high, say around 120Hz, that would indicate the satellites can't reach too far beneath that point, which would be consistent with very small satellite speakers. If your front speakrs can extend down to about 50Hz and you can disable the crossover from your amp, I would set the sub's rollover frequency as low as possible to get sound that you think melds the two components together without a noticeable dip or peak in response. This is just a setting you arrive at by trying the lowest setting on the sub and playing a few selections to decide if you can live with that setting or need to come up a bit. There is no correct answer we can give you since your situation will determine what's correct. Adjust the level set (volume) after you have the rolloff determined and you will probably make some small adjustments to both settings to get what sounds right.

Remember neither the satellites nor sub are sharply defined cutoffs and setting the sub crossover at 60Hz means it will still be producing an audile signal up to and slightly beyond 150Hz on most systems. A subwoofer that produces signal too much above 150Hz will become more audible as to its position and will make mating to the satellites and placement of the system more difficult.

If you cannot disable the crossover from the amp, I would completely disregard the line level output and run the input to your sub off the speaker outputs of your amp. This, of course, assumes you have a speaker level input on your subwoofer.

A bit more information about what products you own and what options you have available would have helped here.

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 9278

To give you any further assistance, you might want to tell us why you think you need to use a crossover frequency that is different than what you have at your amplifier's outputs.

Silver Member
Username: Davidpa

Portland, Oregon US

Post Number: 249
Maybe Im just an idiot, but it seems to me that with no crossover setting on the pre-or reciever, hes just adding a sub to the system. Which is why I suggested the settings I did, and experimenting to see where he gets a good blend.

Then again, maybe Im just an idiot and read too much into the post? Or not enough.

Or I was right to begin with?

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 9284

I don't know. There's not enough information provided to know whether this is an amplifier that simply doesn't have any subwoofer output and therefore no way to trim the crossover point at the amplifier/receiver. Or, possibly this is a HTIB and the subwoofer output is fixed at a factory preset frequency. I'm guessing the latter.

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 4478
Daved, you did not misread. Jan agreed and expanded on the possibilities with the info given. I try to do the same sometimes, knowing that the millions and millions of readers out there may garner information at any time.

That may be lie #6.

https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-audio/284176.html

Post Number: 2
Yes Jan, it is an HTIB: Sony HTDDW900 and comes with a powered sub with an 8" inch driver. I got my hands on 12" floor firered sub which I beleive would give me better performance. So what to I do since the subwoofer output is indeed fixed at a factory preset.
Thanks to all your replies.

Gold Member
Username: Petergalbraith

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 1958
I knew a Robert Gagné when I was younger, in Québec City... But Gagné is a pretty common name here, and so is Robert, so...

Post Number: 3
Not the same Gagne, I am originally from Montreal.

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 9285

Do you have speaker level inputs/outputs on the subwoofer? If so, run the lines to the sub from the speaker outputs on the amp and forget the amp's subwoofer output.

Gold Member
Username: Mixneffect

Orangevale, Ca. USA

Post Number: 1157
I agree with David Pannell's first post.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us