KEF PSW2000 Subwoofer Keeps blowing fuse

Username: Sall2006

Post Number: 1
I have a KEF PSW2000 subwoofer that I havent used in sometime. Now that I have my sound system setup, I plugged my subwoofer to power and turned it on, but the fuse blew. So I replaced the fuse, the second I turned the power on, the fuse blew again. Its set to 115V same as my house.
What is the problem?

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 9279

How long is "sometime"? With the limited information you have provided there isn't much we can do except guess. If the sub has been sitting unused for several years, the power supply caps have probably dried out and will need replacing.

Username: Sall2006

Post Number: 2
Welll that would be around 9 months. I talked to Kef support and they said it would be the amp that is causing the problem.
They do not have a part to replace it, so it needs to be repaired and I was quoted $90 to fix it, which I think is not bad.

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 4475
sal, if you have it open anyhow...the caps a tin cans with a triangle on top. The tops of the cans should be flat, with tight seams.
If one(or more) is domed or split at the seams, it's done.
But if 90bucks seems fair, who cares?

Username: Bigal

New York, NY United States

Sal: the same story with my Kef psw2000. Were you able to get it fixed. What did you have to do?

Username: Cheungwk

Hi! I have been using my KEF PSW2000 regularly. Two days ago, I moved it about 1 ft. to the left of its original location, and it suddenly stopped working. The light on the subwoofer still turns from red to green when I turn on my receiver, but I don't hear any sound from it.

What could be the problem? Any suggestions?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us