NAD humming problem OR I should get a new one????

Username: Twng

Post Number: 6
Hi all,

I am using my NAD T742 for a couple of years and it works great, nevertheless, it starts to hum recently. The humming sound kinda come and go for a while, but in the last couple of days, no matter what I do, the humming sound is not going away. Is there any quick fix for this problem? Or should I go ahead and buy a new AV receiver?

If getting a new one is easier, my problem is that I am using Polk Lsi speakers, which requires 4 ohm rating receiver. Is there any not too expensive (~$4-700) options? I am kinda of looking for Marantz receiver, but not really sure they can handle the speakers. BTW, I use my receiver for 50% music (classical and jazz mainly) and 50% movie.

Any input is appreciated. Thank you.

Bronze Member
Username: Ccdoggy

Post Number: 72
I am no guru but i have heard that that humming can come from having different grounds for connected devices.

see if moving the power plug to a different outlet or power distro thing and see what happens.

Bronze Member
Username: Fatelvis

Post Number: 59
Also check that your power cables and audio cables aren't running parallel to one other. Also make sure that the cable TV line running into your house is grounded (this helped me).

Gold Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 1720
TWNG,

The guys could be onto something here. Have you changed any other electrical equipment in your room? Can you check if the humming stops by unplugging one of the other items. Most typical culprit is the TV or cable box.

If this is what's causing it, changing around the plugging sequence may fix the problem. If not, get yourself a multi-way block and plug all the items that are interconnected (anything in the system such as DVD player, TV, cable box and receiver) on the same multi-way block. My preference is for multi-way blocks without surge protectors since I find they sap the life of the music, but this depends rather on whether you're in an area which suffers electrical storms, but in my experience best results are obtained with really simple blocks.

Regards,
Frank.

Username: Twng

Post Number: 7
Thanks for all the inputs. Honestly, I didn't do anything to my whole set up and the humming sound just came from nowhere. I did try to play with all the interconnects, but the problem stays. I even tried unplug all the interconnects and it hums and hums and hums and hums......

Anyway, I just got myself an used Rotel receiver and hope it arrives soon. I guess I just need to sell my NAD for cheap. *sigh*

Bronze Member
Username: Mitchbd

Post Number: 85
TWNG - I'm having the very same humming / buzzing problem with my T773. It comes and goes as well - and it started about 4 months ago. I found (or thought I found) a reason for it - line voltage.

I have a Monster HTS5100 connected to the system, and it displays incoming voltage. Whenever the AC line drops below 115V, the buzzing starts, and gets worse as V gets lower. When it's at 120V, there are no problems (or at least BARELY audible).

Having worked in live sound for a number of years, I'm well versed in removing ground loops, hums, etc. However - I cannot get rid of the hum on this one! I've tried it all (grounding incoming cable/sat, clearing all AC lines away from any signal lines, ground lifting the unit etc), and have even gone so far as having nothing but the power and L/R speakers plugged in, and with that I still got a buzz! My AC power does not have a freakish voltage potential between neutral and ground, so it cannot be that. I've even plugged it in to an outlet that has about 5 feet of 12 AWG cable between it and the breaker. The ground bond is solid, so it can't be that either.

Not sure about you, but the 60 Hz humm occurs on any video input (DVD, SAT, etc.), the 7.1 input, but NOT the CD input. Therfore, I honestly think it's a DSP/design thing. This is my FOURTH NAD unit (having been through one 762, one 763, and two 773's) - and I'm oficially spent. My retailer has spoken to NAD about this problem, and SURPRISE - it's the first that they have heard of it. They say that the only way to see what's wrong with it is to have it shipped back to them for testing. I'm going to do just that, and ask that they do not return it to me. Not even a new one. I can't believe the amount of problems that brand has given me, and I'll probably never deal with them again. I was a huge NAD supporter, but I am no longer.

Bronze Member
Username: Jaw

Post Number: 65
This has become a joke. Only problem is NAD's playing around with the consumer's money/investment and refuses any disclosure/coming clean on their glitches.

Sorry to hear about your situation and frazzled allegiance.

A look at their new T7X4 line reveals only a cut and paste power/feature offering and substantial increase in price over T7X3. Plus, their glossified contention of improvements from top to bottom.

Updated caps and DAC chips are not expensive; R&D, QC, design and marketing is; NAD does not have the resources or money to do this - my opinion.

A sad and unfortunate situation for music lovers/HT and their dwindling cult following.

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 4706
Nad receivers have had hiss/hum issues for years, folks. The boards are full of posts.
The integrateds and power amps are teriffic, and exhibit none of these problems.
Nad cannot add a radio to an integrated.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 66
The thread/post was, singularly, addressing AVR's.

That's the problem, the consumers' problem and NAD's problem to resolve.

As far as integrated and power amps go, it's a HT
market; that's where the unit sales and profits are, that's where the consumer, generally, is at which is the best of both worlds.

There are, also, lots of terrific power amps; I own one - an inexpensive Parasound. Most of the power amp sonic qualities are dictated by the pre/pro character and quality. Which leaves NAD to their integrateds.

Last issue is, as was stated, sorry to hear about Brad Mitchell's problem; he has it and you don't.

Gold Member

Post Number: 4707
Yes jaw, the thread is adressing avr's that is why it is in receivers.
Twng's problem as well, I think.
It is indeed a home theatre market for most people, when we get into the better equipment and more knowlegeble folks, things get rather beyong simplicity.
Yes, Nad does very good integrated amps and power amps, the 172/272 is a modern day classic at reasonable pricing.
I am sorry for Brad, as well.
He has it and you don't.
Are you Chevy Chase?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 67
Jose Feliciano. Nuck, Feliz Navidad.

Bronze Member
Username: Usernamex

LondonEngland

Post Number: 24
The nad av range up until the T7x3 had INTERNAL ground loop problems, fixed around the time they added pro-logicIIx support (at the expense of hdcd support).

I bought a demo model T753 that had a hum problem. The service centre had upgraded it, fitting the internal ground noise update, and then tried fitting a new dsp. They eventually gave me a brand new one after that.

Anyway, I found the hum occured only when using the DSP (analouge input fine), and was independant to the sound level, and was definetely not a normal ground loop.

Oddly, I found using the rather wobbly volume control could make the noise go away. I then found firmly pressing on the facia could do the same thing. Also, using the display button (so the lcd/ display changed) make the hum change pitch.

I suspected a dodgy solder, or iffy circuit on the blue display,... never did solve it though, I got a new unit instead : )

Bronze Member

Post Number: 61
Which might explain why the Arcam cousins included (at least, the AVR200) a ground lift switch.

My new NAD T744 has no noise issues... hissing, humming, buzzing or otherwise. And I did experience those problems with a T743 before.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 86
Thanks for the input JAW. I'm still trying to figure out what NAD wants me to do with this thing, as I do not want a FIFTH receiver. I'm ready to have a bunch of people over, and host a receiver throwing party! The buzz is getting worse, and when the receiver leaves - it'll be good riddance. I will investigate the internal ground loop further, as that's clearly what this seems to be. Every other test is futile - I've yet to see a component crank out 60 Hz hum with only the speakers plugged into it. It's a shame too - I liked the sound of it - sans buzz.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 74
Brad, ain't no fun.

There is, maybe, salvation in that the NADs aren't wives. Alimony for 5 is a bit much.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 89
I heartily agree!

Username: Db77

Salem, NH

Post Number: 5
Here's my two cents as a Nad owner.

I have owned a T763 for the past year and there is a very slight hum that is only noticeable when you put your ear right up to the speaker.

Other than that I have had no problems with the unit and it sounds great.

The only minor problem is that the remote goes through batteries quickly.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 81
Good to hear; enjoy the NAD sound.

Username: Norbert007

Houston, TX United States

I have owned the T763 for more than 1 year and have replaced it 3 times for various issues, including a DOA for one of the unit.
This is my first experience with NAD and definitively the worse I have experienced with a receiver. I have to admit that the sound is great, however, while it is rated at 100w per channel, to play DVD movies, I have to push the volume all the way to -2 or 0. My old Sony ES had much better power handling and did not heat up as much as the NAD. I am looking at adding an power amp from Outlaw to boost the power.
I do not recommend the NAD products after this experience. There is a small hum coming out of all the speakers but it is not too bad... yet!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 91
WOOHOO - how lucky am I to be getting a brand-new *FIFTH* replacement receiver from NAD? It looks like they are sending me a new T773 in the titanium finish. I'm told that NAD claims that they have not had any problems with the new titanium models. Can't imagine why they would be any different than the darker ones. I didn't think that paint could cause a 60 Hz hum. Unless there is some whacky ground-bond issue.

That being said - the unit will never see the light of day in my house, as I refuse to even crack the seal on the box. It's listed for sale now - I don't want to have to go through this again so I figured I'd jump the gun and dispose of it now! I'll get something a little more reliable for the short term - I plan on purchasing a Lexicon system in about a year.

Kudos to my dealer - they have been magnificent during this whole process... spanning over two and a half years! They've never doubted my claims, and were quick to get a replacement out to me - never at my cost.

To all other NAD owners out there - good luck!

For everyone else - I'll gladly take suggestions on what to buy next.

Happy New Year to all!

Username: Norbert007

Houston, TX United States

Post Number: 8
Brad,
Good luck with the Lexicon and Happy New Year to you and your family!

Bronze Member
Username: Usernamex

LondonEngland

Post Number: 26
"The only minor problem is that the remote goes through batteries quickly."

DB, it's the buttons lighting up when you use the remote that eats the batteries.

There is a section in the manual about turning them off (or shorter time) for better battery life.

Username: Greynerd

WellingtonNew Zealand

Post Number: 1
I notice there is a lot of posts about NAD Hum - maybe this will help.

I had a buzz in the speakers (NAD T762), at about the same level as the volume control steps with no input - Fairly quite, but audible to non audiophiles in quiete surroundings.
The noise was a buzz that changed it's spectrum, kinda like 'phasing' or short-wave. This happened without any connections in or out (just headphines on a speaker output) - I could not hear the buzz with phones plugged into the headphone socket, but could hear it thru phones at the speaker terminals.
I noticed that if I earthed any of the output Black terminals to the chassis the buzz would stop.
Turned out that all the earths go back to the main power supply which is earthed to the chassis by a single screw that clamps the circuit board to a lug punched out of the chassis metal.

This screw had come loose when I had moved the amp.

On the 762 the offending supply is the lower of the two PCB's towards the front of the chassis, in front of the power transformer. The mounting screw is at the front left , and is reachable with a long screwdriver.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 91
Thanks for the tip.

China seems to be importing alot of long screwdrivers these days; they gotta be available in the factories.

Maybe, NAD engineers could have figured this out.

Gold Member

Post Number: 5778
Engineers don't handle screwdrivers.

Rex does, however, fortunately.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 92
Thankfully, 1 less guy got screwed.
(left yourself wide open)

Gold Member

Post Number: 5781
hehehe

Username: Mullda

Asheville, NC

I've read numerous posts about the NAD hum/hiss issues and I have also heard about a "FIX" for the ground loop problem, but I haven't seen anyone expand on the specifics of what those repairs involved. Can anyone elaborate? As you can guess, I have a T742 with the hum and I'd like to fix it myself if possible. I'd really appreciate any info. Thanks.

Denny

Username: Ekmef

To make the NAD trouble list even more complete:
My T752 went out on it's fourth repair adventure this week.
Here's what happened already:
Repair #1: There was a lot of noise and hum.
#2: There was even more noise and hum after repair #1 + the cooling fan didn't work anymore.
#3: A software problem sometimes caused the volume to go to the maximum level at once(!) while the sub level was adjusted to the lowest setting. This happened in the middle of the night, almost delivered me a heart attack! I hurt my foot during the jump towards the volume knob, leaving me walking with crutches for the next two weeks (Proves that an amplifier can mentally AND physically hurt you). It took NAD almost 9 weeks to repair it. They loaded the latest software and replaced the pre-amplifier.
#4: (Now) The display shows funny digits during volume adjustment and during displaying RDS info and the unit doesn't respond to any of the front buttons after 15 minutes of use . Only after switching the unit back on after about an hour gives you another 15 minutes...

What I hated the most is that they went through the "check your cables" and "did you change anything in your setup" stuff before accepting that there could be a problem indeed. "No mister, we haven't heard about such things with those receivers at all". Yeah right! Check the Internet you moron! To make things worse: every time the store I bought it at wasn't capable of giving me a temporary replacement amp. Now this store went bankruptcy, I had to go to another store, which does of course not show a lot of sympathy when it comes down to providing loaner equipment while they do not earn me anything being the new stranger in their shop...

Gold Member

Post Number: 7111
Ekmef, that's a sorry tale indeed.

I would never take pleasure in someone else's misfortune, really.However the image of a guy pounding his foot in the dark, with the sound exuding at terrifying levels in the middle of the night is something to give me pause over coffee this morning.

Post Number: 2
That IS a story right? I couldn't wait to find out if all my speakers did survive this sound explosion. Because I couldn't directly pin down what caused it, I decided to wait till next day, assuming that the neighbors already had their piece for that night. Luckily the speakers were not harmed. It took me a while to duplicate what happened. It turned out only to happen when the sub channel was completely turned down to -12 dB and the master volume was increased from a certain level. Might have been a negative value plus negative value = positive value fault or something in the software...

Gold Member

Post Number: 7128
If it is repeatable...don't repeat it.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 64
Exactly -- which is why I won't buy NAD A/V gear.

Gold Member

Post Number: 7138
Why was it left on?

Post Number: 3
It happened while I was listening to the radio, which made me think (while still recovering from the blast) it could happen again if I did the same thing again. The next day I tried again, of course with a unconnected source instead of the tuner, so I could duplicate what happened to the volume setting in silence. (I wasn't trying to test my speakers twice like that).

Gold Member

Post Number: 7142
I see. The Nad protect, or soft clip is better than most, I think.
My Classe would have gone volcanic, without a doubt.

I don't remember the thread, but a member had his 272 amp erupt in flames in the middle of the night.
A tad disconcerting. The email from Nad said 'quite spectacular' if I remember correctly.
Lemme look.

Silver Member

Post Number: 102
It's difficult to defend a company content on self-indictment apparent from their consumer base.

As I don't have a Corporate Legal Dept., the enclosed are, of course, only my feeble opinion.

Gold Member

Post Number: 7149
JAW is available for 120$/hour.

Of course, so is Crystal, and that 120 is for 3 hours.
Matress sold seperately.

Silver Member

Post Number: 103
Nuck, give Heidi Fleiss a shot; will PM a direct #.

http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=nad

Post Number: 4
OK... it's been a while but here are the results from my last repair on the T752 (long story, grab a cup of coffee):
My dealer phoned me after a few days with the message that the unit was beyond repair according to NAD. I wasn't very disappointed about that fact, since the previous repairs didn't really solve my problems.
They offered me to trade in the unit for a T744 or T753 demo unit and a significant amount of money. The T744 wasn't interesting to me at all, since it offered less then my current device and I read that they still were having some issues with the T753s. I told my dealer that I could not accept that offer because of: all the problems I had, the fact that I could find numerous cases back on the Internet about people dealing with the same problems and the age of only 27 months. He directly admitted the he wasn't either really fond of these offers and told me that he would see what he could do. I gave him a hint about the T754 and waited. The next day he called and offered me a brand new T754 with 5 years warranty for the same price as the used T753 would have cost me. I decided to accept the offer immediately due to the lack of choice.

Please note:
I do not know how many T752s were showing the problems I had with it so the reader should take into account that there could be actually (and I hope so) a lot of flawless units on the marked. Of course, someone like me will have a much more negative view on the particular product compared to people writing about a normal functioning unit. I'm still of the opinion that there were some serious issues in general, bases on several complaints.

After playing around with the T754 for a long weekend, I slowly began to forget about all the misery I experienced and figured that this amp was finally what it should be!
There are no signs of any by-sounds (no hum, no hiss).
The main power switch is moved the the back panel, so there is no need anymore to put a disturbing power line through the whole amp.
All channels sound more separated and surround sounds are much more better addressed.
Stereo sound is improved dramatically, while being at the right spot, you can't hear where the front speakers are placed anymore.
The next track on a CD is not cut off anymore, while my T752 previously was deciding which mode to enter each time for a few seconds.
The (active) sub woofer doesn't get knocked anymore after the amp is switched on, it stays off till it is provided with signal.
The tuner could be heard on the T752 through the signal from other sources, this unwanted feature is gone now.
The big noisy cooling fan is replaced by four smaller fans which blow air from the bottom case through the heat sink and top cover practically indiscernible (VERY good improvement).
The volume can now be adjusted to an even more quiet level; nice at late hours.
While changing surround mode, the sound is not muted, but gets switched directly only after a mode is chosen. Hitting the button once only shows the current surround mode instead of switching directly to the next mode.
The on-screen menu is much more steady and there is no more ugly gray colored background in the signal.

Conclusion: I really think that NAD has solved all the problems regarding their T series and to prove that they even provide you with 5 years of warranty. The performance now corresponds with the sound quality I experienced years ago at a friend's place which pushed me in the first instance in the NAD direction while deciding what to buy.

Gold Member

Post Number: 7434
Ekmef, I hope you don't mind, I got a beer.

What was it about your old T752? Oh yeah, everything.
Good to hear that you like the new Nad so much, gawd knows you deserve it!
Now we shall see in 27 months?

Gold Member

Post Number: 7770
That place will take the starch oughtta yer' shorts!

Silver Member

Post Number: 114
yo!

Username: George_k

Brad Mitchell and everybody,

I remember seeing a service bulletin fix about humming receivers on NAD's service page.

I got the username/password from somewhere on here (helped me fix an issue with my 742) but unfortunately username/password no longer works.

I'd imagine if you were to take to a NAD service center they could fix it for you.

Username: Mata

AucklandNew Zealand

Hi there, I've owned a NAD T472 for around 4 years. Within the first year I had a buzz repaired under warranty. Last week a buzz came back. I initially thought it was a 3.5mm jack grounding on something as I have that out for my laptop. So I checked all that, pulled the TV out and looked in behind to check all the cables, turned everything off, and then on and it was gone. But...

It has come back now and will not go away. I have read up and taken all the usual tests, like same grounding of all the devices, unplugged all sources and other devices except for the speakers etc. The buzz remains, and there is also another clue as to what is happening...

When playing a DVD through the receiver there is a rolling line going through the picture. This is black and white for about an inch. It generally does not roll the picture, it looks like interference.

I have added nothing new to the system for over 6 months. It usually runs fine as I use it every day for TV, DVD, CD etc. There is no hum or hiss with normal operation.

The buzz is constant and does not alter with adjustment of the volume. It will disappear when the volume is at infinite -db.

The only other problem I have had with it has been intermittent and only rarely the back right channel not working. So generally it has been a solid performer.

I used to have all my components stacked, and noticed that the receiver was getting very hot and thought that was the cause of the initial buzz problem that I got years ago. Since then I have the receiver on it's own shelf with plenty of clearance.

It looks like it could be a failed component. Anybody that's had a similar problem may be able to help, cheers, M@

AucklandNew Zealand

Post Number: 2
T742 sorry, typo.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 93
Thanks George.

I no longer have the NAD (Marantz SR8001 now), and I do miss the sound of it.

In recent chats with Lenbrook here in Canada (I've applied to become a dealer of some of their products, not NAD), I mentioned the LONG list of issues they had with the T series. It was admitted that they had HUGE issues with manufacturing and QC, but have since tossed that manufacturer. The new T7*5 series looks promising, only time will tell. I'd like to get a hold of a T785 and see how it runs...

Later!

Silver Member

Post Number: 133
Brad, I moved on also to a Cambridge Audio 840A.

Like NAD, the sound is thick and dynamic. However, it is more refined - the harmonics are more open, detailed and textured. There is no owner-bias here; if it wasn't a distinct improvement to me, would have sent it back.

That considered, Cambridge has probably had their share of reported QC complaints.

Silver Member
Username: Mike3

Wylie, Tx USA

Post Number: 713
Matt,

Do you have any construction going on in the house, even in another room?

Try running your system out of different outlets around the house, using long outdoor extension cords if you have to. Your not worrying about SQ right now, just finding the source of the buzzing noise. See if you can find an outlet where there is no buzzing. If that happens get an electrician because you have a short somewhere in your walls where the outlet your system plugs into now runs through. Good luck.

AucklandNew Zealand

Post Number: 3
Hi Mike, no I don't have any construction or changes as such going on at the moment. I will try it on a different circuit later today and see how that goes... thanks for the advice, cheers, M@

Silver Member
Username: Nickelbut10

Post Number: 448
"When playing a DVD through the receiver there is a rolling line going through the picture. This is black and white for about an inch. It generally does not roll the picture, it looks like interference."

Matt-I had the same problem as you a while back. And a slight Humming sound. After messing with some stuff one night I found that it was my Satellite line coming into the house that the installer never properly grounded. Before this I tried unplugging everything as well, still with the same effect. I ran the line into my monster power center and then back out into the satellite receiver and bam, problems solved. No more hum, and no more scrolling lines.

Not saying this is the problem in your case, but as Mike stated its got to be ground loop/power related. Cheers.

AucklandNew Zealand

Thanks Nick, we don't have cable in New Zealand, our digital is via satellite and I don't have that myself. I have unplugged everything, including my aerial line and the fault was still there. I have set up my system bypassing the receiver and all is fine - so maybe the NAD is just more sensitive? I'll do some experiments and get back to you guys, thanks again!

Silver Member

Post Number: 449
Is the Hum there at all volume levels? or does it only get noticeable when the volume is turned up? Sorry if you have already mentioned this. If it is noticed at any volume level, it could be your Digital Processor in the receiver. I had a T762 before the receiver I have now and it had to be replaced on it. It caused a hum/buzzing sound which was the same at any volume level.

Silver Member

Post Number: 450
Then again the T7x2 series were the most sensitive to the humming do to poor grounding within the unit. There is a fix for this, it takes a long philips screwdriver and a phone call to NAD for them to walk you through the fix. The scrolling lines tells me it is most likely power, I would call NAD and ask them about fixing the internal ground of the receiver.

AucklandNew Zealand

Post Number: 5
Hey Nick, I just called a local service agent and he thinks it is the internal grounding also. He says it is a bit of a mare due to the large number of wires and finding the offending ground attachment. I have seen another person online who gave some advice for this so I'll do some more research. I did try to get on to the NAD service site for the tip as it is documented on there but the username and password that was going around is now no longer valid unfortunately.

Silver Member

Post Number: 451
Shoot. I wonder if we can find one somehow. I may be able to get one from my dealer. I will post it on here if I get it. The grounding fix is really easy, just don't know the exact details on it. I will see if I can get a username and password. Will NAD tech support not walk you through it? Or do they want you to bring it in?

AucklandNew Zealand

Post Number: 6
Here in New Zealand we have an importer who looks after many audio brands. They have service agents across the country and the one in Auckland where I live that I have finally go a hold of. They don't really have any 'brand' connection or obligation to talk these things over as such.

I'm going to have a crack at re-seating and tightening the earth points myself tonight and see if that helps as the other tech suggested. If I have no luck with that I'll take it in to get looked at tomorrow and we'll see what they say...

Thanks for your help, and any info is much appreciated, cheers, M@

AucklandNew Zealand

On further investigation, the buzz is constant from -60db to -10, then gets louder slowly, until at max volume of +18db it's quite loud. A lot of the screws inside that I think are acting as earths were loose, but tightening them had no effect in minimising the buzz unfortunately. I'm going to take it to the service center and then we'll see whats up...

Silver Member

Post Number: 453
ok Matthew keep us posted on what NAD find out with it. Im guessing it may be the digital processor then. Let us know. Cheers.

Silver Member
Username: Mike3

Wylie, Tx USA

Post Number: 718
Matt, Did you try running extension cords to outlets in different rooms?

AucklandNew Zealand

Post Number: 8
Hi Michael, I tested it in my office this morning and the same result unfortunately. So it's not a ground loop issue by the looks. The tech thinks it will be a failed a capacitor or diode... so we'll see what he finds, cheers for your help guys and I'll let you know what happens!

AucklandNew Zealand

Post Number: 9
I've got the news back about the problem... looks like the capacitors on the power supply low voltage section have failed. Only NZ$95 to fix, so that's a relief that it's not something major. So if anyone else ever has this problem it may help to look in this area first. I want to say thanks to all the people who offered their advice on this, it is very much appreciated! Cheers, M@

Bronze Member
Username: Hank_hill

Post Number: 18

quote:

The only other problem I have had with it has been intermittent and only rarely the back right channel not working. So generally it has been a solid performer.

Matt, I had the same issue with the T742, it turned out to be a cold solder joint they had to fix, might want to ask them about it if it's still in service.

Hank

Silver Member

Post Number: 484
Good stuff Matthew, good to hear that it will live to see another day man.

Silver Member

Post Number: 485
Good news is that it appears that NAD has fixed all HUM/QC issues with the new lineup and the 7X4 series. Hopefully this sticks.

AucklandNew Zealand

Post Number: 10
Hey Hank, I actually forgot to mention it as it doesn't seem to happen any more, I've got it back now and I have to re-install it so we'll see how it goes. Should be all good. Thanks for the tip tho, and if it is an issue for me I'm sure I can get it sorted.

I do hope that NAD are picking up their game as my faith in their products has been shaken a little with temporamental 531 DVD and 742 receiver. A 5 year warranty on their new range seems to point to better QC.

Username: Ade333

add me to the list... my T742 just started the hum. This is the second time this POS has crapped out on me. First time was a total power supply failure now this. Sounds like I'm lucky to have gone 2 1/2 years with only 2 issues.

Who have you guys called in order to get NAD to walk you through the "long screw driver fix" ?

Bronze Member

AucklandNew Zealand

Post Number: 11
If this is the same issue as mine, it is the electrolytic capacitors that are failing. Amps are full of them, as are TV's, power supplies, well just about everything. They are like rechargable batteries and eventually fail. Some are better quality than others. Knowing what I know now, I would look inside and check those first. They tend to swell in size and the cover comes off the top as they age and fail, sometimes leaking the electrolytic fluid. I'm guessing NAD put crap quality ones in and they fail under heat and stress issues faster than they should. These capacitors are very cheap generally, 20c maybe for each one, it's just the diagnosis and replacement time that is the issue. I would direct your technician to the look at these, with focus on the low voltage power supply section. When I took my T742 in to get serviced, he said straight away that it will be capacitors. Since then I've got in to repairing my Arcade monitor boards and they fail in that area too. Hope this helps, I think it's more likely than a sudden ground loop failure. I tried tightening all screws first, but no joy, it's a worth a try tho, good luck, cheers, M@
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us