2 Subs. Is it needed? need advice

Username: Rrio16

Jakarta, . Indonesia

Post Number: 7
Setup is
Denon Receiever 2807 and mission speakers
and a paradigm PS1200 Sub.

Thinking of adding another sub. Room is large enough. Question is must it be of the same brand/model or is it necessary in the first place.

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 4435
AG, I ran dual subs for a long time and liked what I got. Placement is less critical(I had cheepies) and the flexibility is fun.

I would recommend the same sub again(if you like the first one).

Using dissimilar subs can be tricky, as cancellation of waves comes into play, and that can be hard to track down.
Twin subs can do the same, but alternate placement can overcome the cancelation. The issue then becomes timing, as the waves are disparate, and the sound can get 'muddy'.
Placement of twins is kind of fun, so long as you find the right spot eventually.

ANother member, David Pannell has dissimilar subs, and he overcame these issues with some dogged determination.
Perhaps DP will catch on here for you.

Bronze Member
Username: Serniter

Piscataway, New Jersey USA

Post Number: 78
Nuck, you had posted a few days earlier about more bass outside the room than inside. Did that get figured out?

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 4461
Srinivas, I solved that with a Velodyne sub! hahaha. I never could place the bass where I wanted it, but my Psb speakers are not bass-oriented. A bass heavy(for me, well balanced recording would take care of it.
John Mellencamp's uh-huh would fill the room, yet other recordings would not. I got tired of moving the speakers, so plunked the sub in the corner.

Thanks for asking.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us